Eating "always the same" vs "variety"?

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #1

The answer to the question, for most people, would be “variety, of course!”.

However:

1. For some people, it may be easier to stick to “always the same”, increasing the probability of success
  2. “Always the same” may lead to the consumption of better foods. For example, Dr. Valter Longo argues for garbanzos, black beans, vegetables, olive oil, nuts and salmon as good foods
  3. “Always the same” may also lead of a bit of variety. For example, vegetables may range from tomatoes to cauliflower, for example

Is there any scientific evidence arguing pro “always the same” or “variety”?

(Polly) #2

An interesting question Arbre, and I look forward to seeing the responses.

" For example, Dr. Valter Longo argues for garbanzos, black beans, vegetables, olive oil, nuts and salmon as good foods"

Thats not what I would call “always the same”, because it leaves many possibilities to vary.

“Always the same” would I say, when someone chooses to eat steak and broccoli everyday, for example.

I think it is better to vary between some different meats, vegetables and fats. Everything has its pros and cons, so no single food can be the perfect one.

But I don’t think it is necessary to eat every sort that is available. Maybe two meats, one fish and five vegetables are enough, if you are not bored of it.

In the other side, only steak and broccoli would be much better than a diet with lots of keto bakery, sweeteners, to much cheese and so on.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Nutritionally, I doubt whether it makes any difference, so long as one is eating real, whole foods and avoiding refined grains and sugar.

As far as sticking to one’s way of eating, however, if always eating the same foods makes life simpler, why not? And if variety makes the diet more interesting, why not? And if simplicity and variety are both important to you, you’ll easily find your balance point with a little experimentation.

(Scott) #5

For convenience my breakfast is the same most days. Lunch and dinner are varied daily to provide a rich palate of nutrition. All meals are made from healthy real food. So I guess I am part of both worlds but I don’t think either one plays a significant role in my success but to me aways the same would take the fun of of eating. Also I don’t think eating garbanzos and black beans fits into my carb restricted way of eating very well.

(charlie3) #6

A few years ago I insisted I diidn’t care for kitchen time, cooking would never happen. These days, eating only real food things have changed but not so much “cooking”. I eat the same thing evvery day, a meat meal and a salad meal. The salad has a lot of ingredients. I don’t tiire of it. One reason I don’t change things much is it covers at least 100% of ALL the rda’s with just two exceptions and they are 90%. Cronometer is my watchdog. I take no suppliments these days.

(Karen) #7

I am sure there are some science on this but what I have heard was that it’s good to shake it up because the body can get used to anything, but too much for writing leads to over eating. Eating the same things causes you to eat less. You were not stimulating your taste buds. The first three bites of anything is more delicious than the next three bites

(Susan) #8

I still change things a lot; as I am still figuring out what works for me, and so I don’t get sick of the same foods =).