Eating 1 day per week?

(Bob M) #21

I have not found this to be true at all. In fact, 4.5 years ago when I started fasting, 4.5-5.5 days was pretty easy. 36 hours was nothing. Now, 4.5 day fasts are tough, and I rarely make it through one. Lately, even 36 hours fasts are tough, though I’m sure the stress of covid and all it causes can’t help.

As for lower BMR, if you lose weight, you SHOULD have a lower BMR. (You might also lose muscle mass, because you have less weight.) The issue is whether it’s lower than it could be.

^^^THIS! A million times over! I can personally attest from doing it to myself, that’s what happens!

Thanks @ctviggen – I should clarify – I’m not talking about the lowered BMR associated with lower weight. Rather, I’m talking about having a lower BMR for a given weight due to an adaptation, such that you have to consume less food to not gain weight. My fear is that by eating less, I may continue to chase my BMR lower and lower.

(Andrea) #24

This is something that interests me too. I have been doing 3.5 or 4.5 days fasts most week for the last couple of months (so stop eating on Sun or Mon night and each again on Friday).

Is that too often? When I eat at the weekend I eat like mad! I’ve got some fat to lose but I’m more focused on health/inflammation rather than weight.

So question is, what should I look out for (without tests) to make me aware I’m fasting too much??

Thanks
Andrea

(Bunny) #25

How much body fat do you think you have?

I find it easier to cut back on portion sizes of all three calories evenly and spread out meal windows according to hunger, much easier then mentally focusing on fasting.

I hate using timelines for fasting because your body knows when it needs fuel, just like it knows it wants to drink some water; it is a deeply sentient thing and you just have to get a feel for it.

What I like to do is look at my my blood glucose just to get an idea of where the numbers are (not looking for exact measurements) and how I feel, if I feel a little ill or not right then yeah it’s probably time to eat?

Glucose meters are awesome for that purpose because they can tell you when to eat. Looking at ketones is just a luxury really, never has given me much useful information.