Eat Salt to Lose Weight

salt

(G. Andrew Duthie) #1

More settled science that has been unsettled:

(Dustin Cade) #2

Well with keto your salt consumption goes up… You lose weight, though… Not sure it’s the salt…

(Allie) #3

I recently increased my salt intake and have more energy and better recovery as a result, but have noticed fluid retention in my legs / ankles so I’m dropping it down again (while still keeping it higher than it was previously). I guess it’s a case of getting it right for me, as with other aspects of this WOE.

(Tom Seest) #4

You’ll want to keep an eye on that, as it could be borderline edema related to thyroid or other heart issues. Don’t be alarmed, but keep an eye on it.

Which, you already are, since you noticed it.

In that case, great work and ignore everything I just said, which is what most wise people do anyway.

(Allie) #5

I’m keeping an eye on it don’t worry, especially as I had various kidney issues when first starting this WOE two years ago. I am fairly certain it’s just a combination of the increased salt intake and “that time of the month” but if it continues I will investigate further - thank you for your concern :slight_smile:

(mike) #6

Since listening to the 2 Keto Dudes podcast on salt a few weeks ago, I started increasing my salt intake. I’m a keto’er most of the time so I figured it couldn’t hurt. I have discovered a few interesting things. Most notably, I no longer get constipated. Also I noticed this week that while cheating during vacation on higher than normal carbs I did not gain the wait I have seen in other cheat fests. I also sweat more when exercising, and exercising seems easier.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #7

A timely tip for me, as I’m going on a cruise soon, all meals provided. It doesn’t have to be high carb, but there will be temptations; also, actually a danger of too much protein (as I know a lot of excellent fish will be served, having been on a similar cruise before).

So I’ll make sure to take some sea salt with me (ironic, given that I’ll be at sea for 10 days :slight_smile: ).

Should hopefully get some good minerals from the fish, although I don’t know if it will include enough salt, unless added.