Eat before or after exercising?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #8

I get positively out of control, like drunk facebooking.
I have to watch myself. Lol

(Jacquie) #9

My best results come from working out in a fasted state. It’s hard for me to put on muscle but my best results ever came from doing BFL (Body for Life) in a fasted state, many years ago. I worked out 6 days a week - 3 days with weights and 3 days HIIT and got fabulous results. I was lc at the time. Working out after just an espresso works well, too. :smile: Now, doing BBS and it’s going well, too.

(Martin Danner) #10

Great feedback! I went to a mid morning spin class after fasting overnight and definitely had more energy. Thanks eveyone!

(Martin Danner) #11

I’d love to hear more about the “glycogen thing” you referred to, Brenda. As time permits, of course! :slight_smile:

I wrestled with this a bit: If I’m going to fast for only 2 or 3 days, should it be just before or after or include my hardest workout of the week. I have landed on AFTER.

My hardest workout of the week is a long run, i.e. 3 hours. I did this shortly after a five-day fast and it was MUCH harder than normal. Lifting was unaffected by the fast.

For endurance activities, I want plenty of glycogen stored in my muscles.

(eat more) #13

not brenda but exercise/activity depletes glucose that’s been stored as glycogen in your liver…less glucose/glycogen… less insulin :blush:
it isn’t exclusive to exercise…that’s just what happens in the absence/reduction of carb intake…exercise just depletes it faster than day to day activities because energy is in higher demand.

i think richard explains it better :blush:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #14

Richard explains EVERYTHING better.
I love that man.

(Todd Allen) #15

I think we are all different and you need to experiment to find what works best for you. Myself, I’ve found that if I work out to a deep fatigue I can recover without the severe muscle cramping and pain (I have a disease which causes this) by eating 3 or 4 eggs immediately after the workout. But I’ve also discovered I make much better gains muscle wise if my workout is 1 sets of 1 reps at a weight heavier than I can lift by first getting myself into a hyper emotional state while hyper ventilating and blasting certain pieces of music that set me off. After such a short workout I don’t need the eggs.

(Cocker) #16

I read (Lyle McDonald and a few others)that it actually makes no difference unless you’re already at a low body fat level.

If you exercise fasted (at an appropriate intensity), you burn more fat during the exercise…but less afterwards…and kinda the opposite if you eat before hand…fat loss is roughly equivalent after 24 hours.

It helps at lower fat levels because the exercise helps increase the bloodflow to the stubborn fat areas, which typically need all the help they can get.

Of course all of the above assumes a typical mixed diet and eating schedule…if you’re in keto or fat adapted or won’t be eating afterwards either then I suppose all bets are off…but then, I guess all burn comes from dietary/body fat anyway so the question becomes irrelevant.

(eat more) #17

BUT…it isn’t really :slight_smile:

fasted you have already (assumably) cleared out your glucose/glycogen just by not eating and your workout will be fueled by body fat/ketones…

if you eat…(even ketogenically) you are replenishing some of the glucose/glycogen that will be used as fuel first…that has to be cleared out and used up before getting to body fat/ketones to fuel the workout

with keto my focus has changed from “the burn” (CICO) to the hormones…

it’s also what keeps me from thinking stuff like “i’ve been sooo good i can have that bagel…it’s just one”…
instead i think “do i really want to upset the hormonal balance i have attained so far…for a bagel?” LOL

(bagels because there was a huge platter of bagels and cream cheese at the salon yesterday…
i may have had a bite of cream cheese only…to the dismay of my coworkers…all of whom immediately after eating even half of a bagel said “omg i feel so fat!” LOL)

(Cocker) #18

[quote=“mikki, post:17, topic:10738, full:true”]

Ah! Of course! Thanks for the clarification! I suppose someone could even have deliberately filled their muscle with glycogen but emptied their liver and reentered ketosis?

Ha - I had a carby day yesterday…in my defence, I wanted to see how long it would take to shift back :slight_smile: Unexpected benefit is that I may have identified a, previously unknown, wheat allergy…

(eat more) #19

i don’t think you can choose where the glycogen is stored even tho i have read that muscle is the preferred place for starches…dextrose and glucose?
i think there is still some residual liver deposit…depending on what is eaten, how much, and duration/intensity of activity…

obviously from all of the “thinks” and “?” i haven’t done a lot of research LOL

i do think this is the aim of TKD (targeted ketogenic diet)…i just don’t do it…i figure i am getting enough muscle glycogen from the protein i eat…and i am wanting to reduce body fat to see how much muscle i have and if i want more :joy:

edit: yay for identifying a possible roadblock! :high five:

(Cocker) #20

As I understand it, carbs after exercise (especially weights) will prefer the muscle (which have become more insulin sensitive)…and yeah, I think this is what people aim for with TKD…though quite how precise that is I don’t know but woudn’t be surprised if some still went to the liver.

Haha - I’m just trying to remember bits and pieces that I’ve read over the years :slight_smile:

Definitely the muscles drink up carbs after a fast…I’ve experienced this…hypercompensation, which is to say, they’d take up more than they normally would…don’t know if this is the same with TKD too. For a day you look great…and then the water retention kicks in haha.

(eat more) #21

except…i think TKD is carbs before and protein after :slight_smile:

i’ll just fast before and after…for now :joy:

(Cocker) #22

I think the idea of carbs before is to boost the upcoming session…and then after it’s carbs/fast digesting protein…but no fat…so as to exploit the sensitivity while it lasts. I think…I’m sure it’s a fine art to adjust the numbers for yourself…and of course, I could be talking gibberish ha.

Fasting makes it simpler :sunny:

I’m still not totally happy with my knowledge (or the standard answers) re: fasted training on something like ADF.

(Raphi) #23

To maximize fat burning, sports/exercising is not a particularly good tool for that in the immediate/acute sense, but adaptation resulting from athleticism can substantially increase your fat (and glycogen) burning capacity.

In general (because these things can be highly individualized) try to exercise on an empty stomach (+4hrs after meal) and don’t rush to eat straight after exercising (take your time +2-3hrs).

If you start your exercise in a relatively low-glycogen state, meaning fasted or eating low-carb, then you are pushing your body to use fatty acids and replenish glycogen itself, which will require a lot of fat oxidation.

For more on how a low-carb diet is compatible with exercise, specifically short and intense exercise modalities, check out http://breaknutrition.com/are-low-carb-diets-good-for-high-intensity-training/

(Isabelle) #24

What to eat before and after workouts ? To stimulate muscul grow ???

(Davey B ) #25

I workout (heavy weights) fasted in the morning and find it great - allows me to push harder without the post meal downside :face_vomiting::relaxed: If I can’t get the workout in early and have to do it in the evening, I try to wait as long as possible after eating, so I can push myself without losing my last meal!

Being in Keto seems to provide consistent energy to make great workouts happen whenever - food seems to get in the way, if you know what I mean by what I’ve written above. Body Adapt! :slight_smile:

Afterwards I simply eat when I’m hungry and ensure I get enough protein overall each day - I ‘kind of’ overdo the 1.5gx 75kg of lean body mass, but it seems to be working for me. When I find the right (knowledgeable) nutritionist/Doc then I’ll find out! :wink: haha But I do feel great!

Good luck!
Dave

(Davey B ) #26

P.S. Muscles love beta-hydroxy-butyrate! :muscle: Keto seems to allow for less post workout cramps/soreness, for me anyway.

(albertinelaurent) #27

Hi there, It depends on losing or gaining weight.