Eat before or after exercising?

(eat more) #21

except…i think TKD is carbs before and protein after :slight_smile:

i’ll just fast before and after…for now :joy:

(Cocker) #22

I think the idea of carbs before is to boost the upcoming session…and then after it’s carbs/fast digesting protein…but no fat…so as to exploit the sensitivity while it lasts. I think…I’m sure it’s a fine art to adjust the numbers for yourself…and of course, I could be talking gibberish ha.

Fasting makes it simpler :sunny:

I’m still not totally happy with my knowledge (or the standard answers) re: fasted training on something like ADF.

(Raphi) #23

To maximize fat burning, sports/exercising is not a particularly good tool for that in the immediate/acute sense, but adaptation resulting from athleticism can substantially increase your fat (and glycogen) burning capacity.

In general (because these things can be highly individualized) try to exercise on an empty stomach (+4hrs after meal) and don’t rush to eat straight after exercising (take your time +2-3hrs).

If you start your exercise in a relatively low-glycogen state, meaning fasted or eating low-carb, then you are pushing your body to use fatty acids and replenish glycogen itself, which will require a lot of fat oxidation.

For more on how a low-carb diet is compatible with exercise, specifically short and intense exercise modalities, check out http://breaknutrition.com/are-low-carb-diets-good-for-high-intensity-training/

(Isabelle) #24

What to eat before and after workouts ? To stimulate muscul grow ???

(Davey B ) #25

I workout (heavy weights) fasted in the morning and find it great - allows me to push harder without the post meal downside :face_vomiting::relaxed: If I can’t get the workout in early and have to do it in the evening, I try to wait as long as possible after eating, so I can push myself without losing my last meal!

Being in Keto seems to provide consistent energy to make great workouts happen whenever - food seems to get in the way, if you know what I mean by what I’ve written above. Body Adapt! :slight_smile:

Afterwards I simply eat when I’m hungry and ensure I get enough protein overall each day - I ‘kind of’ overdo the 1.5gx 75kg of lean body mass, but it seems to be working for me. When I find the right (knowledgeable) nutritionist/Doc then I’ll find out! :wink: haha But I do feel great!

Good luck!
Dave

(Davey B ) #26

P.S. Muscles love beta-hydroxy-butyrate! :muscle: Keto seems to allow for less post workout cramps/soreness, for me anyway.

(albertinelaurent) #27

Hi there, It depends on losing or gaining weight.

(Amy Arnold) #28

Hi there, I agree that it depends on the person that he is losing or gaining weight. I think eating after exercise is the best option.

(Dan Dan) #29

Good Topic, did not know so I went to my goto guy on exercise

Thomas DeLauer

Pre/Post Workout Nutrition

Studies have looked at post workout timing and its effects on strength and hypertrophy
Show that as long as you’re getting enough of the right nutrients throughout the day, you’re not going to see much added benefit from a perfectly timed post workout meal Whether you’re in ketosis or not, a proper daily intake will work the same as a perfectly timed post workout meal.

While on a ketogenic diet, the focus should be on maintaining ketones so that you have an adequate supply and to refrain from dipping in and out of ketosis. Studies show that aerobic training (endurance training) isn’t affected by low carbohydrate diets. A study was done on well-trained cyclists who were on a ketogenic diet for 4 weeks. Results showed that aerobic endurance was not compromised at all. Their bodies adapted through ketosis, limiting both glucose and glycogen stores, and using fats as the predominant energy source.

Even if you are doing very long cardio training, marathons and biking included, a ketogenic diet has been proven to be sustainable.

Thomas on working out while Keto:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin: