Early Time-Restricted Feeding Improves Insulin Sensitivity, Blood Pressure, and Oxidative Stress Even without Weight Loss in Men with Prediabetes

(Todd Allen) #1

Our proof-of-concept study also constitutes the first
trial of early time-restricted feeding (eTRF), a form of
IF that involves eating early in the day to be in alignment
with circadian rhythms in metabolism. Men with
prediabetes were randomized to eTRF (6-hr feeding
period, with dinner before 3 p.m.)

Conclusion:
In conclusion, 5 weeks of eTRF improved insulin levels, insulin
sensitivity, b cell responsiveness, blood pressure, and oxidative
stress levels in men with prediabetes—even though food intake
was matched to the control arm and no weight loss occurred.

The teaser article https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(18)30253-5

Pirates can read the full thing here
https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.cmet.2018.04.010

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

There is much research that this suggests. Like skipping breakfast instead of dinner? Like tailoring to an individual’s particular digestive circadian rhythm.

It’s an interesting study, but much to further disentangle.

Yes, the circadian rhythm thing is a meaningful and biological fact of life that some are taking up as their overarching specialty message - but like everything else, actual reality is multifactorial and requires interdisciplinary integrations and nuances. It’s not just about the circadian rhythm - it’s also about lunar cycles and environmental conditions/stress management.

Ginger also improves the heath profile in various ways - as does later day time-restricted feeding. Life on earth happens both day and night - there are many nocturnal animals, and mammals have lunar cycles too - are way more active/creative/fertile around the full moon phase (most babies are physiologically born during that phase too) - but this is left out of most of the circadian prescription stuff.

The bone I pick with the circadian early-bird-for-all approach is that it complies nicely with the corporate/institutional city-based 8-5 machine, and has nothing to do with the more seasonally synched circadian schedules within the lunar cycles that all our ancestors followed in diverse ways (winter and northern peoples were known to stay up late and have late mornings because of the central role of the hearth/fire for warmth and light).

There’s a huge difference between LCHF persons and SAD persons. A year ago I came across some study that correlated quality catch-up sleep as the key factor regardless of chronotype, but I can’t find it at the moment.

Mothers & grandmothers have mothered humanity over time in the deep night, when vulnerable or ill folks are at their lowest (involving lots of night feeding newborn support and care of ailing/sickly people) and night watch warriors whose tasks were integrated into pre-industrial cultural traditional training of all men. Add to that the fact that diverse healers/medicine folks have worked nights going back into ancient history. The difference being that unlike the modern medicine hospital intern, they weren’t expected to routinely work 48 shifts and forced to comply with artificially imposed institutional schedules! In addition, anthropology reports on how earth-based cultures prioritized the changing needs of pregnant women, birthing women, elders, and healers by granting them full flex time/autonomy (except during forced migrations and wars, of course, which no one had choice about).

I would venture to say that with enough catch-up sleep (with light-blocking eye pillow or special window coverings or dark caves/huts like the southwestern U.S. indigenous peoples had) and powerful nourishment (such as organ meats, and/or other superfoods/spices), all things are possible. Because we’re creatures of the earth who also have universal consciousness, etc.

Personally, I’ve observed a huge difference in ageing & health of mothers who have the ability to follow their own rhythms and catch up on sleep by napping with their babies/young children during the day as opposed to doing the night shift plus dragging themselves to the rigid corporate day shift. Also, with jazz musicians who play late night shows and jamming sessions (without hard drug addictions) and then catch up on their sleep…

(Justin Jordan) #4

The study design is such that all it shows is that time restricted eating has improvements as compared to a longer eating period. They didn’t compare it (at least here) to restricted eating in other time periods.

So prefacting it with ‘early’ is both accurate and kind of misleading. The early might be important, might not, but this study isn’t out to determine that.

(Todd Allen) #5

In the full paper they discuss other studies that have looked at TRF and their reasoning for trialing an early time window:

In humans, four pilot trials of TRF (4–10-hr feeding periods)
have been conducted to date. Surprisingly, the results of TRF
in humans appear to depend on the time of day of the eating
window (Carlson et al., 2007; Gill and Panda, 2015; Moro et al.,
2016; Stote et al., 2007; Tinsley et al., 2017). Restricting food
intake to the middle of the day (‘‘mid-day TRF’’ [mTRF]) reduced
body weight or body fat, fasting glucose and insulin levels, insulin
resistance, hyperlipidemia, and inflammation (Gill and Panda,
2015; Moro et al., 2016). However, restricting food intake to
the late afternoon or evening (after 16:00 hr.; ‘‘late TRF’’ [lTRF])
either produced mostly null results or worsened postprandial
glucose levels, b cell responsiveness, blood pressure, and lipid
levels (Carlson et al., 2007; Stote et al., 2007; Tinsley et al., 2017).
The circadian system, or internal biological clock, may explain
why the effects of TRF appear to depend on the time of day.
Glucose, lipid, and energy metabolism are all regulated by the
circadian system, which upregulates them at some times of
day and downregulates them at others (Poggiogalle et al.,
2018; Scheer et al., 2009). For instance, in humans, insulin sensitivity,
b cell responsiveness, and the thermic effect of food are all
higher in the morning than in the afternoon or evening, suggesting
that human metabolism is optimized for food intake in the
morning (Morris et al., 2015a, 2015b; Poggiogalle et al., 2018;
Scheer et al., 2009). Indeed, studies in humans show that eating
in alignment with circadian rhythms in metabolism by increasing
food intake at breakfast time and by reducing it at dinnertime
improves glycemic control, weight loss, and lipid levels and
also reduces hunger (Garaulet et al., 2013; Gill and Panda,
2015; Jakubowicz et al., 2013a, 2013b; Jakubowicz et al.,
2015; Keim et al., 1997; Ruiz-Lozano et al., 2016). This suggests
that the efficacy of IF interventions may depend not only on
weight loss but also on the time of day of food intake. Moreover,
these data from circadian studies suggest that combining two
different meal timing strategies—IF and eating in alignment
with circadian rhythms—may be a particularly beneficial form
of IF. We call such a combined intervention ‘‘early time-restricted
feeding’’ (early TRF; eTRF), and we define it as a subtype of TRF
in which dinner is eaten in the mid-afternoon. To date, however,
there had been no trials of eTRF in humans.

(Jay AM) #6

I wonder how this affects someone like me. I’m sure my circadian rhythm is rocky by this point as I’m tired during the day and awake at night usually. Interesting to look into.

(Katy May Strong) #7

eTRF caught my eye this past fortnight. I lost 50lb in about 10mths of skipping breakfast and eating lchf between 2-9pm but then I stalled for 14mths before the last 15lbs lost. I decided to try eTRF and low and behold, stall smashed. I’ve lost 4lbs in the last 4/5 days. I eat twice between 10-4, and I’m full, not hungry in between meals, and don’t feel like snacking at night (huge win for me). I always thought if I ate first thing in the morning I’d be hungry all day, having “cracked the seal”, so to speak. This has been a revelation to me. I’m also tired enough to go to bed around 9/10, instead of 11/12. Love it!

(Todd Allen) #8

I also started off doing TRF by skipping breakfast. It seemed more natural to me at first, I wasn’t that hungry in the morning and I felt like the longer I could hold off eating the better. I expected it would be difficult to shift, but it only took a few days before the new pattern of eating breakfast and skipping supperhas become my new normal. And I feel better synced up to the day night cycle, finally able to consistently wake at dawn without effort and ready for bed earlier in the evening. And now that hot weather has finally arrived I like getting out at the crack of dawn for my morning walk and getting my gardening chores done while it is cool instead of in the evening when the warmth saps my vigor.

(David) #9

Very interested in this. Did you avoid everything except water outside the eating window?

(Todd Allen) #10

When skipping breakfast I’d have tea. Now that I’m skipping dinner I’m even less strict and a few times a week I’ll eat salad greens from our garden with vinagrette at dinner time with my wife while she eats her meal.

(Robin) #11

I too am giving this a try for my final 5-10 pounds. Can I ask you how many days it took you eating this way to start seeing weight loss? I’ve done it 4 of the last 5 days and have seen no real change. I plan on giving it a month to try.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #12

I can actual believe this. For me, skipping breakfast was the hardest thing for me to do! I have always woken up hungry in the morning. It took months to reset my body. But like so many other people with small children and typical work schedules, its easier to skip breakfast and lunch and eat later in the day. This way, I can eat with my family and not struggle in social events. My eating window is smaller and I never eat past 7 pm. But honestly, I think I would see better results if I did eTRF.

It just doesn’t work with my life at this time. But its another tool to try when my life allows for it.

(Omar) #13

Between me and my self I always thought and felt that breakfast is bad for me contrary to what always been promoted by the main stream medical agencies and family doctors.

I always avoid breakfast even before keto.

Now I just drink 50 grams of HWC in the morning whenever I walk up hungry which is very rare anyway.

Thanks for this usefull information.

(Todd Allen) #14

And a paper suggesting a fatty breakfast reduces risk of strokes. At least if you are a Japanese man.

Dietary Intake of Energy and Nutrients from Breakfast and Risk of Stroke in The Japanese Population: The Circulatory Risk in Communities Study (CIRCS).
Okada C, Imano H, Yamagishi K, Cui R, Umesawa M, Maruyama K, Muraki I, Hayama-Terada M, Shimizu Y, Sankai T, Okada T, Kiyama M, Kitamura A, Iso H; CIRCS Investigators.
J Atheroscler Thromb. 2018 Jun 13. doi: 10.5551/jat.44438. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 29899172
https://sci-hub.tw/https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jat/advpub/0/advpub_44438/_article
Abstract
AIMS:
The frequency of breakfast intake has been reported to be inversely associated with the risk of cardiovascular events; however, it is uncertain what the impact of the energy and nutrient intakes from breakfast are. We assessed the association between these intakes from breakfast and the risk of stroke prospectively.
METHODS:
In a baseline survey of four Japanese communities between 1981 and 1990, we enrolled 3 248 residents (1 662 men and 1 586 women) aged 40-59 years who were free from stroke and heart disease and who responded to the 24-hour dietary recall survey. We assessed the dietary intake at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and other times separately.
RESULTS:
During the median 25-year follow-up, 230 individuals (147 men and 83 women) developed stroke. After adjustment for age, community, other dietary intakes, and lifestyle and physiological factors, the multivariable-adjusted hazard ratios (95% confidence intervals) of intracerebral hemorrhage for the highest versus lowest quartiles of energy intake from breakfast were 0.38 (0.15-0.99) in men and 1.36 (0.36-5.10) in women. For the major nutrients, a higher saturated or monounsaturated fat intake at breakfast was associated with a reduced risk of intracerebral hemorrhage in men, and remained statistically significant after further adjustment for intake of other major nutrients from breakfast.
CONCLUSIONS:
A higher intake of energy from breakfast, primarily saturated or monounsaturated fat, was associated with a reduced risk of intracerebral hemorrhage in Japanese men.

(Katy May Strong) #15

I noticed a difference pretty much immediately. I’m still not eating until about 10-11am, even a bit later, maybe 12-1pm some days and then I eat my second and last meal of the day around 6pm, and stop.

(Robin) #16

Thanks for the update. So you’re basically eating 12-6? I typically eat about 10-4. I was hoping changing things to 10-2 would make a magical difference. After a week I’ve seen no change at all. Maybe it’s because it’s not that much different (2 hours) than what I was doing or maybe it’s because I’m close to my goal. I’m just trying to shed these last 5-10 pounds and they just don’t want to go! :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #17

I think the difference could be diabetic vs. pre-diabetic vs. non-diabetic?

Non-diabetic would have the IGF-1 advantage to eat later in the day! And perhaps the pre-diabetic?

DHEA and HGH levels would be high in the morning after waking up; sending a signal to the liver to produce IGF-1 for burning body fat rather than dietary fat throughout the day and in the diabetic this is severely impaired, why no weight loss is seen!

(Katy May Strong) #18

Ah it’s tricksy, isn’t it? I’m also practically zero-carb/carnivore for the time being; plus I’m steering clear of dairy for a while to see if it’s inflammatory for me (acne & post nasal drip), so they may be other factors assisting me along with the eTRF. It gets exhausting tweaking and trying to find the magic combination that just works. Hopefully one day, we can just get a quick blood test or body scan and someone will be able to tell us exactly what will work, lol…

(Bunny) #19

Before I forget, one more thing about this:

Glucose Cell Transporter (GLUT-4) & Insulin Cell Receptor Axis like thing?

(Patricia) #21

I think you would find this study interesting. I had a hard time keeping all the acronyms straight, though.

One interesting result in this study was that when mice were kept on a TRF schedule for 5 days and allowed to eat whenever on the other 2 days, they still saw good results.