During ride/post ride energy booster

(jjc155) #1

Hey guys now that I dropped a bunch of weight (40lbs since march) and gotten back into pretty decent shape running, lifting and mountain biking I’m increasing my biking mileage, both per week and per ride.

Next week I’m planning on my minimum per ride distance to be 15miles.

Are there any post ride or during ride snacks/energy booster type products that are not an ungodly high level of carbs in them? Looking for something I can throw in my jersey or hydration pack pocket that I can grab if I need a pick me up.

Thanks
J-

(Alec) #2

Macadamias?

I’ve been putting LyteShow into my hydration reservoir…

That takes care of electrolyte replacement. I’ve been doing my long hikes and bike rides without food.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Are you sure you need anything? Have you tried it fasted?

I just got to 10 miles running today (building up to a half marathon) without a single energy source except my own body fat. No problems what so ever.

(Rocky B) #5

Thanks for the link. I’ve been looking for an electrolyte resource without the usual sugar and other undesirable elements before resuming bike riding.

you can try making your own fatbombs with coconut oil, mct oil, cocao butter, sea salt and stevia…you can also add matcha green tea for flavor/additional benefits. details in the video.

store them in ziplocks in the fridge and pull them out right before you go for your ride/run. I leave mine in a cooler in the car to enjoy with my cold brew coffee from starbucks after my 10-20k or half marathon runs. You can eat them as is or drop them in coffee to make a quick on the go fat bomb coffee- this works better with hot drinks.

But really, you shouldn’t need any boosters during a ride if you are already fat adapted. if its electrolytes you’re looking for try some Apple cider vinegar, salt and water.

(jjc155) #7

Right I’ve been fat adapted for a few months now and have no issue with running long distance at a good pace with out the need for anything else (spend the better part of 45 years as a runner). But when I am mountain biking I’m doing 15+ miles on trails that you can measure the flat stretches in matters of a 100 yards at a time in under 1.5-2 hours so it is not a constant long effort like running 10 miles. Image sprinting for 12 out of 15miles essentially but in 100yard-half mile increments.

I’m good electrolyte wise and have my hydration pretty dialed. Looking more for something like these, but aren’t all sugar. I like the macadamia nuts idea as they would likely help.

https://www.honeystinger.com/strawberry-organic-chew

Thanks
J-

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

I’m doing a trail run half marathon in Agusust that’s 13 miles of pretty much the terrain you just described. Obviously I’ll be on foot and not bike, but I’m still planning on doing it sans food if any kind. I did 11 miles last week on a very challenging bike course. Okay, I actually ran 7, ran/hiked 2, and hiked/walked the last 2, but that’s because I’m still building up my overall miles, not because I hit any walls due to lack of energy.

(jjc155) #9

good luck and keep up the hard work

J-

(Beth) #10

One or two spoons of coconut butter work for me. Sprinkled with salt.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

It’s dead easy to make bone broth, and it won’t have sugar unless you add it. Just sayin’ :grinning:

(Rocky B) #12

Thanks but the smell during the process of making it turns my stomach. A little bit of this stuff in my cage bottle with cold water will do just fine. :wink: