Dry pork chops!

food

(Todd Chester) #1

Hi All,

Bane of my existence: dry pork chop! Okay, maybe not, but annoying still.

How do you un-dry a pork chip?

So far the best of what I have come up with is

1. buy the bone in cops
  2. slap on a hot dry pan and let them sear to the pan (bacon grease makes them dryer)
  3. pop them off a soon as they hit 145F

Almost there. Much improved. But not quite there.

Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,
-T

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Buy them thick and sear them hot with fat. Put in a 145 oven to finish.

Use sousvide if you like boneless chops, that’s my basic method. I do them at 130 and then sear them. Pork loin isn’t really a fatty cut so there’s only so much you can do. Not over cooking is key as you noted. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Todd Chester) #3

Don’t have access to an oven.

On the bright side, the browning on the pan afterwards makes a great (cream) gravy.

I have tried (coconut flour) breading them, but the breading just burns.

I will try to get thicker cuts.

Thank you!
-T

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I buy a whole pork loin for about $1.79 a pound. Then I cut them myself and vacuum seal two per bag and freeze them.

(Todd Chester) #5

How thick?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I like em about 1.25-1.5” thick. Some go as thick as 2” but I’ve never done that. They would definitely be better sousvide that thick.

(Todd Chester) #7

Thank you! Sousvide would only cook at 100C or 212F, depending on altitude. Maybe I am pan frying too hot?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

No, pan frying takes more skill than sousvide. You cook at a higher temperature for a shorter time and stop when the center reaches a temperature you want. It continues to go up for a bit after you stop cooking so it’s a skill learning when to stop.

With sousvide your poaching at you’ desired end temperature as long as you need to reach a desired texture. So tough cuts of meat can be made tender but still medium rare say. I cook pork to a lower than recommend temperature than you can in a pan because pasteurization is the result of temperature and time. You can pasteurize quickly boiling something a few minutes but also heating above 130 for enough time sustained will do the same thing. Sometimes I sousvide a pork tenderloin at 132 for maybe an hour or 90 minutes and slice it up rosy pink and eat it without searing it. Delicious and juicy tender. It looks technical but actually any dummies can easily learn to cook meat sousvide. There’s lots of information about safe cook times and temperature for sousvide to get the exact desired results.

(Todd Chester) #9

Thank you !

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #10

We just slice thin and stir fry in some oil with small amt of veggie. Still dry but more chewable and the ginder makes it yummy.

I remember those days.

The key to juicy pork chops is to make sure they are at room temperature before cooking.

Cold chops straight from the fridge seem to dry out in the pan.

The other thing is fat quality in the pork. A well fed pig that is not fed a grain-based diet (industrial piggeries in the USA use a grain base mash that is a waste product of fermenting corn) provides a pork chop higher in stable saturated fat, as compared to easily oxidised and liquid polyunsaturated fats that just run out of the muscle when cooking them.

The final thing is do not heat the pan first.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Interesting FrankoBear, first time I have ever heard of cooking meat in a pan from cold unless it was cured fatty bacon. I would think this would cause major sticking unless you’re using one of those chemical industry wonder pans that you can fry an egg in without any added fat. Good to see you again, How was the internet fast? :thinking::cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

Alright, I’m ready to buy another whole pork loin because I only have two chops left frozen. So I will try the method Carrie Brown posted but I’m still skeptical.

She suggested both the pan and the chops being “stone cold”. My usual method is sousvide and sear which is perfect every time, regardless of the thickness of the cut. I even start them frozen! But I’ll give it a shot.

(Doug) #14

This is true. Most U.S. pork is just not as good. :slightly_frowning_face:

Starting with a cold pan is interesting - I’d never heard of it either. I do agree that meat, including beef, is best allowed to get to room temperature before being cooked in a pan.

Same here. Frozen or not, bone or not - sous vide is a revelation, especially for pork and poultry - no need to overcook it (and dry it out) to make sure it all gets hot enough.

(KetoQ) #15

Lots of good advice here. I’m no culinary whiz, but when cooking meat, it can help to cover it to help trap the moisture as well as cook in its own juices.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

@Q66 As a cook I will disputable that if getting a good sear and crust is important. This can have a tendency to steam the meat in the case of four legged critters which I think makes it tougher, it’s okay for birds or fish though. :cowboy_hat_face:

(KetoQ) #17

Good point, I’ve had more success doing that with trout and salmon.

(Doug) #18

Took out a beef brisket last Saturday, after 72 hours at 135° F / 57° C. Always would sear in a hot pan or oven, before, but didn’t do anything - just sprinkled on some salt and pepper, and it was great.

(72 hours is fairly long, but this was the second time - my wife and I thought it was perfect the first time. We’ve tried 48, 24 and 12 hours as well, and 72 is the one we like the best. Surprisingly still more steak-like in consistency, too, rather than roast-like. I expected more breakdown of meat fibers and “shredding,” but it really wasn’t a thing.)

(Todd Chester) #19

Mine is an electric stove. It take a while to heat up. Still do not heat the pan first?

(FRANK) #20

First thing is to brine them. 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar dissolved in boiling water, cool. Soak chops for at least 2-3 hours. Then sous vide at no more than 135 degrees. Sear lightly for color.

Works every time.