Drinking Olive oil

(Randy) #1

I am new to Keto. I want to know if I can drink straight olive oil to make sure I have enough fat, if the meal is too low on fat.

Unless you are super low on fat during the day and are still hungry, there is no real need to, no. I would say it is preferable to simply add it to food you are eating. There is not a specific amount of fat you need to eat, simply to satiety. I have read studies about how consuming olive oil daily is good for you so having a couple of tablespoons a day drizzled over veg, salad or whatever is going to be a good thing. You can drink some if you want but I don’t really see the need.

(Dustin Cade) #3

My lady struggles to get enough fat into her diet, she’s always cold, so she drinks 1/4c avocado oil each day…shes still always cold…

A common “home remedy” in Italy to overcome constipation is drinking olive oil. Like taking a swig of 1/4 or 1/3 cup.

It won’t hurt you…but of course, to a certain extend. Even drinking too much water can harm you…so, you need to do it with some thought behind it to not go in crazy high quantities.

And…you probably will get the butt runs if you drink too much.

(matt ) #5

It might work but damn that made me gag. When I was doing a fat fast I did shots of bacon fat. That was rough. But my BG was beautiful.

Too low on fat for what?

(John) #7

I can’t do bacon fat, but i can eat spoonfuls of coconut oil and MCT straight is no problem.

(Let's get going...) #8

I’m with Jmbundy on this one… I would much rather to spoons of coconut oil before anything else.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

:heart:
:sunny:
:slight_smile:

(Kylie Woodruff) #10

I drank olive oil last year - in a last resort to get my you know what moving!!! OMG it was so awful!!! Gag Fest and didn’t lube anything up too well!

(Bart) #11

I like taking some swigs of good quality olive oil. Cheap stuff not so much.

(Randy) #12

The reason I posted this question was because I had just eaten two hamburgers without buns and realized that I had too much protein. I was looking to offset the protein to fat ratio. I was trying to understand if simply adding fat after a meal high in protein would help with ketosis.

(Alfred) #13

As dr darren schmidt (on youtube) has said in at least one of his vid’s a fat to protein ratio of 2:1 is a good thing. Olive, peanut, coconut oils have 14 grams fat per tablespoon n lets not forget coconut milk (fat content varies)

You can ingest fat however you’d prefer, but it depends on the reasons for following a keto diet on whether you actually need the fat or not.

If you are trying to lose weight, there’s no need to ingest fat just for the sake of it. Let your body use it’s own fat if it needs it.

If you are using the diet for medical reasons and want to stick to your macros then go for it.

I personally would much rather find some other means of upping my fat than chugging olive oil though…LOL