Dr. Troy Stapleton

(Vladaar Malane) #1

I could be wrong on my podcast reference. I am still catching up on podcasts, and I was listening yesterday where I heard @richard mention that I think Phinney says once you get to your ideal weight you literally have to do less calories to lose anymore?

I was wondering if anyone had more on that? I’m getting close to my ideal weight, I was thinking by less calories he was actually meaning fasting? It just struck me odd using the term calories, when we as in most of us, generally adhere to the concept that calories in/out theory doesn’t work.

I probably should just take it as he meant fasting, but was curious if there was more to that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The First Law of Thermodynamics is not completely irrelevant in human nutrition, but when most people start out eating keto, their hormonal situation is far more important. The causal direction is generally different from what most people assume it is. For example, if you eat in a way that promotes weight loss (i.e., ketogenically), your body will automatically set your appetite so that you eat at a caloric deficit. The difference from the standard way of thinking is that the caloric deficit is the result of being in weight-loss mode, not the other way around. (Has your head exploded yet? :grin:)

However, if you want to lose past your ideal weight (and why would you want to, anyway?), you have to force your body to do your bidding by cutting calories. It won’t necessarily be fun, because your metabolic expenditure will decrease to compensate for the lower caloric intake—one of the reasons that calories-in-calories-out is not the whole truth—but it can be done, at least for a while. Till your hunger hormones get the better of you, anyway.

people confuse the fact that CICO as a weightloss strategy doesn’t work very well, and long term) with the idea calories don’t matter AT ALL, which is far from the truth.

in order to lose bodyfat your body has to consume the stored energy it represents. there is just no other way. its not going to evaporate or physically fall off.

when you are obese, you lose the bodyfat by reducing the calories it takes to maintain that obese fat mass. you are eating a surplus of calories, compounded by the fact your insulin is driven up by carbohydrate intake and or low tolerance for them, and that makes you gain bodyfat. the fat does not just appear over time, its produced by the excess calories of fat PLUS carbs that you have had to ingest.

it is possible to stay obese on a ketogenic diet, but you have to massively over eat to do so.