Dr. Schmidt hits one out of the park--for me

(charlie3) #1

He walks through a meta analysis looking at the relationship between carbs and ketosis and protein and ketosis. The study seems to show that it’s carbs that influence ketosis and protein has very little influence. This would tend to support Westman and Bicman encouraging protein. I’m persuaded to double down on carbs and increase protein to see if that helps with some of my issues. I’ve been intrigued by the testimonials for carnivor but I don’t want to take an all or nothing approach. Schmidt’s reasoning suggests I can take a gradual approach to carnivor as long as net carb is sufficiently low. This video is highly recommended (by me).

Very interesting at the end there. Basically saying, if you want to burn your fat stores on the keto diet (once fat adapted), take on a HPLFLC approach (High protein, low fat, low carb).

Not following this (i.e. Eating a lot of fat and being afraid of too much protein) may be the reason why a lot of people reach plateaus in their weight loss. I mean, I’ve known that it was common sense to decrease fat intake once fat adapted to burn off my fat stores, but for me the idea of increasing protein to compensate for the reduced energy supply from fat was the missing link for me.

I wonder though, if they’ve taken into account that the body can only burn so much of its fat stores per day.

I agree that being afraid of protein is not helpful but too little fat can also be a problem - firstly when trying to adapt & secondly when people restrict it to some arbitrary amount rather than getting a handle on their satiety signals.

(Carl Keller) #4

Anyone who says to eat more steak deserves to be heard.

I agree there. I think a person has to be thoroughly fat adapted and in sync with their body’s hunger signals before adopting the reduced fat/high protein approach.

Just takes longer for some unfortunately & they get frustrated at the lack of progress & fall back into fat calorie restriction meaning it drags it all out even longer. I’m convinced that for many increasing protein beyond the oft suggested minimum amounts should be the first step. But as always - YMMV :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep agree that there’s no harm in increasing protein from the get go. I was referring more to reducing fat before being fully fat adapted.

And for me personally, reducing fat isn’t falling back into the old SAG low-fat hysteria. I’m still eating by ‘normal’ standards a fair bit of fat, I’m just not doing fat bombs, BPC and smothering everything with lard and olive oil. :wink:

But it’s definitely good to know now that I can safely increase protein without any adverse effects. One less thing to worry about.

I don’t think BPC works for a lot of people anyway - eating fat is a lot more satisfying. But if your adapted and still can’t find the magic point of satiety without eating adaption levels of fat - I think that’s really where some extra protein can help :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, spot on.

Maybe the mantra should now be “Eat fat and protein to satiety.”

From your fingertips to the ketogods ears :pray::smile:

(Maz) #11

The higher protein, slightly less fat (just cooking in and less added) and low carb has been a game changer for me in terms of more weight loss, maintenance, feeling good and brilliant appetite/satiety control. Essentially carnivore with smatterings of green here and there, less cream and cheese. Poking around the various pages- Ketogains, Ted Naiman, Marty Kendall, high protein keto groups- there are a lot of folks who are benefiting from upping the protein and decreasing the plate fat to really start targeting body fat. Quite a lot of folks who went down the “just eat more fat” path with no results and increasing frustration. Some of these groups aren’t always nice about the approaches of others, but improved results are certainly there. Just more options for folks to tinker around with and hopefully not cop too much flak when they share their approaches.
Cheers for this share, will watch.

(Troy) #12

Thanks for sharing @charlie3
For me, I have increased protein

Love this!

Out and about, when asked or just over conversation, sharing at a social event
Could even be over Thanksgiving eating🤔

Them
So, “ I guess you are on that Keto diet. That craze all in the news now. That will not last w you. You and ur fat and pork rinds. Let me guess, no bread either? “

Me
“Kinda…Well, I’m on HPLFLC-WOE “

Them
“Say what?”:flushed:

I can’t wait to share ( if I’m up to it ) the acronym now
Exciting

(charlie3) #13

All the fringe diets have champions and opinion leaders who try to set a good example which usually ends up meaning they develop a set of strict set of rules that might need to change because of new science or individual circumstances. I’m a food agnostic. I’m a go for what ever keeps me healthy, is satisfying to eat, and lets me grow some muscle with the years I’ve got left.

My only complaint is my workout energy levels are not where I think they should be. My first instinct was to add more carbs. More carbs makes no difference. The next thing I want to do is try increased protein. I haven’t found any carnivore studies or lectures about the nutritional mechanisms of zero carb but the youtube testimonials are encouraging. But the carnivore people insist it has to be all or nothing from the start. That has kept me on the fence because my current diet covers micro nutrients very effectively.

My takeaway from this recent research is that I can ease into higher protein and keep ketones elevated by doubling down on restricting carbs. From a diet fatique point of view more protein in return for less carbs is a tradeoff I believe I can sustain and it appears I can probably keep the minimal carbs I would miss if they were gone. Making a gradual transition gives me time to sort out micros and logistics of food prep.

In the mean time I’m thrilled. I hope this is strong science. I need more diet flexibility than what I have been following.