Dr. Phinney's take on fasting

(Mike Glasbrener) #141

True but it’s not clear that all protein that would be consumed by autophagy is metabolically active tissue. If autophagy consumes protein from less essential sources it would make sense that it isn’t metabolically active and providing some useful function. No papers to reference though. Just a thought experiment on what would be logical.

(carl) #142

One pound of anything weighs one pound. Did you mean fat is more dense (weight per volume) than muscle? Or was that the point, and I need another cup of coffee? :slight_smile:

(Tom Seest) #143

Lifting a cup of coffee or tea is my primary method of strength training in the morning. I wonder if I should or could adapt it to some type of HIIT…Food for thought…Might not help my Abz that much, but I could develop som massive pipes if I double fisted the drinks…

(Bunny) #144

Yes, like one pound of styrofoam to one pound lead…lol

(Bunny) #145

Might work!

(Ivan) #146

I’m a lean older man who’s lifted weights for over 41 years and was a wrestler before that. I’ve done a 60 hour water fast with relatively no muscle loss or even strength. I did lose stamina in that I couldn’t perform set after set of pull ups or pushups but the first set was phenomenal. I like and respect Dr. Phinney but I don’t see how he can make the blanket statement that we lost lean muscle after 24 hours. Especially someone like me who has a fast metabolism and is about 10% body fat. My goal is to do a 72 hour water fast.

(Cindy) #147

I just found this info, and it explains why I feel so bad. I’m very petite with low-normal weight. I thought fasting was a required part of keto and have been trying to do it, but I work 83-90 hours per week, and it makes me feel exhausted and even sick every time I try. I think I just don’t have enough body fat to burn when I fast. I do 8:16 or 9:15 fasting every day, and it seems to be working well for me. I think I’ll just stick with that. I wish I had found this info earlier!!!