Dr Fung's longevity solution

(Failed) #102

Everyone’s body is different. I know from checking my blood glucose levels after meals with and without protein that protein raises them.

That may change once my body starts recovering from many years of carb abuse, but for now, that’s my reality.

(Mark Rhodes) #103

From the Book The problem is not that meat is not nutritious. Instead, meat is too nutritious, which is not good in diseases of overnutrition and too much growth. Animal proteins stimulate more of the nutrient sensors insulin and mTOR than plant proteins do, and therefore animal proteins promote growth more. This effect is beneficial for malnourished people, which is why cavemen often hunted animals to extinction. But, in people suffering diseases of too much growth, the effect is not beneficial. In this situation, plant protein might be a better choice. High-animal-protein diets may activate more IGF-1, which is implicated in the promotion of cancer. Lower levels of IGF-1 appear to protect centenarians against cancer—one reason they live that long.43 Eating less refined carbohydrates and sugar (less insulin), as well as targeted amounts of protein derived from animal sources (less mTOR), might be the best-case scenario. Eating less flour and sugar doesn’t necessarily mean you must eat more meat and dairy. The Eco-Atkins diet encourages protein sources such as gluten, soy, nuts, vegetables, and grains, and it has been shown to improve lipid levels better than a low-fat diet that contains animal products.44

DiNicolantonio, Dr. James. The Longevity Solution: Rediscovering Centuries-Old Secrets to a Healthy, Long Life . Victory Belt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

(Mark Rhodes) #104

Due to anabolic resistance, there is some data to suggest that in older people, eating only the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of protein (0.8 gram per kilogram per day) leads to muscle loss.38 Taking more protein, whether plant or animal, can be useful. Plant protein doesn’t have the excess leucine and methionine (which are pro-aging) that’s in meat, but these two amino acids may help maximize muscle growth. You have to find a balance between growth and longevity. Strength training supplemented by whey or pea protein can increase muscular growth. Pea protein contains amounts of leucine comparable to whey, but only half the methionine, which makes it a useful alternative.39 Rice protein supplementation works, too, but you have to supplement with a fairly large amount (48 grams).40

DiNicolantonio, Dr. James. The Longevity Solution: Rediscovering Centuries-Old Secrets to a Healthy, Long Life . Victory Belt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

(Mark Rhodes) #105

What the authors fail to comprehend and most people get wrong is that CRUDE protein per oz is far less, meaning you would need to eat 3 x the amount of food to get adequate protein versus a small steak.

They then conveniently ignore the less calorie hypothesis of longevity.

(Failed) #106

What type of diet was the study based on? If not keto, then it’s probably not relevant.

(Mark Rhodes) #107

You miss multiple points. First, I disagree with Dr. DiNicolantonio and his assessment that plant protein is equivalent with animal sources. I go on to SAY just that.

Second, all studies offer something. Ancel Keyes 7 nation study offers insight if you remove the bias of cholesterol bad.

I had a 90 minute conversation with Stephen Phinney. I discussed my success with fasting and gaining lean, something he unabashedly finds unacceptable but had to admit when looking at my data that I was some type of outlier. He then went on to quote his Cahill studies and i dismissed those because they were not fasting or keto but instead calorie restriction. I told him that Dom D’agostino has shown lean tissue sparring properties of ketones.

Phinney wouldn’t budge. The point here is dont throw away data because it wasn’t “keto”. You can make some interesting correlations & better hypothesis using all data.