Dr Fung's longevity solution

(Mandy) #1

Have I missed a discussion about Dr fung’s book that states we should be replacing meat with veggies, grains and nuts? I did a search but didn’t find anything. Say it ain’t so. Am I reading this right?

('Jackie P') #2

Eh? This isn’t the Jason Fung I know🤔

I always thought he was pretty non-committal about keto - acknowledges that it makes fasting easier for many but doesn’t really ‘cheer’ for it the way others do :woman_shrugging:

I refuse to give the New York Post any clicks, anyone want to post quotes on what he said?

"In “The Longevity Solution” (Victory Belt), authors Dr. Jason Fung, a Toronto-based nephrologist, and James DiNicolantonio, a Kansas City-based doctor of pharmacology, argue that the key to living a long, healthy life is to replace most of the meat and processed food in your diet with healthier options, such as vegetables, whole grains and nuts.

“Most people think that eating a lot of protein is a good thing,” says Fung. “But the body is like an engine — you can’t run it out on full speed and have it last a long time.”

The authors point out that many “blue zones” — areas of the world with the longest-living populations — subsist on shockingly low levels of protein. In centenarian-packed Okinawa, Japan, for instance, roughly 90 percent of daily calories have traditionally come from a certain type of sweet potato.

To channel their healthy habits, Fung and DiNicolantonio suggest swapping meats, cheeses and eggs for plant-based proteins (such as nuts and legumes), and incorporating the following science-backed foods and minerals.".

PLUS - you need green tea, magnesium, wine & salt. That’s about it.

I cross-verified, it’s on his Twitter page. That’s quite unfortunate that he’s now pushing foods that would in no way keep people full long enough to fast.

(Mandy) #7

While I remember him being on 2ketodudes and stating he wasn’t exactly a keto freak, this is pretty disappointing. Veggies… Ok. I see some benefit. Nuts… Sure. But grains??

I think one of his main arguments has been affordability issues & (possibly?) cultural backgrounds. Basically not everyone wants to or can afford to give up carbs but as long as they fast regularly they can still improve their health. I might be talking out my [spoiler]arse[/spoiler] though - I don’t read/listen to a lot of Fung/IDM.

I think something we’re missing however is that sweet potatoes are an American tuber. They weren’t even introduced into Okinawa widespread until the 1600s, which is basically nothing in terms of gastronomic history. Someone like Dr. Fung should know better.

I’m very surprised too. I know they have always said that people don’t necessarily need to eat low carb diets if they are doing fasting (particularly alternate day), but I also remember well a video of Dr. Fung explaining how limiting insulin spikes helps access stored body fat.

(Bunny) #11

“Most people think that eating a lot of protein is a good thing,” says Fung. “But the body is like an engine — you can’t run it out on full speed and have it last a long time.”

I would interpret that as not eating too
much of it all the time?

Personally I think esp, brewers yeast & bone broth, chia seeds, wheatgrass powder, flax seeds, nutritional yeast, leafy greens, chlorella, sea weed, kelp, sulforaphane, aged garlic, and carbon 60 could do a lot more in the way of longevity!

”…In centenarian-packed Okinawa, Japan, for instance, roughly 90 percent of daily calories have traditionally come from a certain type of sweet potato. …”

Resistant starch (raw) and hyaluronic acid (the bodies molecular glue and what you also get from bone broth in a more fat soluble form and more) Probably very very high in hyaluronic acid if it is the type of sweet potato I’m thinking of?

The problem with hyraluronic acid is the bodies ability to absorb it, this is not something you can put in a bottle (you would have pulverize it down into atoms and molecules), sell it and expect longevity, it has to enter the cells in micron particulates from natural sources…,

(Running from stupidity) #12

Good think I don’t give a crap about longevity, then.

Also, anyone got any good links they’ve read and recommend? I’m also not clicking on the NYP.

Might be something here…but might have to read the book
https://idmprogram.com/the-longevity-solution/

(Running from stupidity) #14

That was utterly unilluminating (now a word). It doesn’t make me want to read it at all.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Well, I’ll be interested to see his data. A lot of the mention of mTOR sounds like what Dr. Rosedale was saying four or five years ago, and everyone has been pooh-poohing it since. Prof. Bikman feels that mTOR is not an issue in the context of a low insulin/glucagon ratio.

(Running from stupidity) #16

#VOTE1BEN

I mean, I’ll listen to different people for different things. Jason/Megan for not-eating, Ben for protein, and so on.

Get outta here with your common sense :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Unfortunately, overnutrition tends to be more of a problem in today’s world.

Is it, tho, Dr. Fung?

(Windmill Tilter) #19

I see Dr. Fung as a pragmatist.

Stated Problem 1: I’m 150lbs overweight, I have type 2 diabetes, and I’m addicted to sugar.
Dr. Fungs Solution: LCHF diet, fasting, eat to satiety. Repeat.

Stated Problem 2: I’ve lost 150lbs, I’m at my ideal weight, I’ve fixed all my hormonal baggage, not sure how to eat for the next 40 years.
Dr. Fung’s Solution: Avoid processed food, keep protein minimal, eat whole foods, watch your blood sugar, fast quarterly for autophagy. Repeat.

I don’t think he’s a heretic, I think he’s just applying his own experience and research on how to live a healthy life once we’ve reached a point of ideal weight and health. I’ve got no problem with it. Right now I need to fix my insulin resistance, and drop 50 more lbs. Keto and fasting have been a total godsend thanks to Dr. Fung. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that adding beans and sweet potatoes back into my diet once I’m sorted is a wholly plausible idea. If that doesn’t work for my body, I’ll look for alternatives.

(Running from stupidity) #20

He has been that, always, that’s how he got into the not-eating game.