Dr Fung's longevity solution

(Robert C) #21

Agreed!

• The Obesity Code is for obese people - written not to increase longevity but instead, to give you a better chance at even getting to average longevity (for their genes).
  • The Longevity Code is for regular weight people - written to increase their longevity beyond the average (for their genes).

They are both for the same solution (longer health span) but for different problems (reigning in metabolic syndrome vs. reigning in the growth of cancer).

They might or might not work together. For example, you may know that keto and fasting down to a regular weight will work for you but that going back to carbs will take away your progress.

(Running from stupidity) #22

Absolutely not, it’s for everyone. I will admit it’s very badly named.

(Jane) #23

Totally agree! My husband was not obese at all and it applied to him

I don’t know if it is relevant ir what is referred to above… but there is a sweet potato kind of round vegetable in Japan called yaki-imo which is a very viscous sort of of tuber. Its not like the sweet potatoes in Australia at all, its small and hairy.

And last time I was in Okinawa (about 30 years ago), they ate seafood…its a pretty small island with lots of fishing.

(Mandy) #25

I actually have no issue with the sweet potato, i have them once a week. I think my concern came in when it was implied to remove meat.

(Jane) #26

That’s not what was quoted that he said in the posts above. (Haven’t gone to the link so if he was mis-quoted then I apologize in advance).

He didn’t say whole foods - he said whole grains. Which are STILL processed foods, unlike potatoes. And he repeatedly says the refinement to such a small particle, even whole wheat flour is fine grained, makes them inflammatory. The Okinawans didn’t eat many whole grains from what I’ve read.

(Scott) #27

I was reading a blog about blue zones and it referenced the Okinawa study. Questions were asked in a way to support the plant based diet theory. It claimed pork was only eaten at special celebrations and rarely. The only problem is Okinawans eat Spam almost daily for lunch as it is a favorite there. Yes that’s right, processed canned pork.

http://nourishingtraditions.com/true-blue-zones-okinawa/

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

I wouldn’t be surprised to find, whatever else they ate or didn’t eat, that the Blue Zones are notable for the absence of refined sugar in their diet.

(Bunny) #29

This really blew my mind (literally) some of these people are smoking a pack or more a day of cigarettes in their late 80’s, 90’s, no health problems at all or facial wrinkling (the entire village of people)!

All because of this mysterious hyaluronic acid loaded potato that is slightly different from the American species in that it is longer and skinnier potato that grows in the mountains of Japan, I imagine it is the altitude, atmospheric pressure and soil composition that is atttributed to the differences?

ABC - Connie Chung The Miracle of Hyaluronic Acid

Related:

[1] Village of Long Life

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #30

Yes :raised_hands:

He has recommended avoiding processed foods, etc. in his books and in many interviews and presentations. I don’t think poster was quoting directly.

(bulkbiker) #32

Or it could be all the pork…

(Jane) #33

Yes, I know he has. So did Dr Fung say whole foods or whole grains?

Big difference between a potato and whole wheat flour or brown rice.

I consider the later two to be processed foods.

(Windmill Tilter) #34

I can’t say I’m a fan of whole grains generally speaking, but it depends a little bit on what he means by “whole grains”.

When Kellogs say their frosted mini-wheats are made with 100% “whole grains”, I call bullshit because the grain isn’t whole. It’s been reduced to dust, and used in a shelf-life targeted chemistry experiment so vile that even bacteria won’t eat the stuff for 12 months.

When I see a wheat berry, I say to myself, “now that’s something I’d boil and put next to nice fat Ribeye once in a while”, just like it was farro or quinoa.

It may be naive of me, but I see wheat dust as very different than whole wheat berries. They both can be called “whole grains”. I think I got into this mess eating mostly processed foods, sugar, vegetable oil fried foods, excessive alcohol, and being basically completely sedentary. Actual whole grains are not high on my list of suspects, especially if eaten in moderation. Admittedly though, I’m only 6 weeks into keto, and I still have a lot to learn. :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #35

There are studies that most food types pulverized increases insulin more than we would expect. This even includes whey protein powder.

I don’t have time to find the studies now. So “whole” left whole is going to be better. May or may not be healthy. But at least a better insulin reaction.

(Jane) #36

I agree with the wheat berry being a whole food but most people don’t eat them or think about them when they hear a doctor advocating “whole grains”

(CharleyD) #37

You don’t get so many Advanced Glycation Endproducts if you keep your sugar low to begin with. It’ll make detoxing the particulates that much easier.

Perhaps Okinawans at the US military base on Okinawa eat Spam.
Just phoned and asked my Okinawan friend here if he and his family or friends eats Spam. He’s married to a close friend and they go back for a visit annually.
He laughed at me, and asked if I was joking, so not sure just how accurate that report of Spam eating is. If the study was of Okinawans in contact with the American base, the report of Spam eating would make sense.

I was only there for a month and it is 30 years ago…but I spent the entire time staying with different families all around the place and I promise you, I never saw a single slice of spam. I did eat a lot of different seaweeds and vegetables, small dishes at every meal, miso soup, and a bit of meat and fish.

The site you linked linked refers to an author who may have been researching at the end of WWII when Okinawans were starving. If they were given Spam by the occupation forces they would have eaten it, they would have eaten anything. Strange there is no mention of fishing in the blog…it is a tropical island and they have been fishermen for centuries. They don’t grow any rice and are culturally different from other Japanese.

(Jane) #39

My ex sister-in-law married my brother-in-law who was in the Navy and was stationed in Okinawa. She was VERY sensitive about her age and would never tell our mother-in-law her real age.

Until her twin sister came to the States to visit and my MIL asked her how old she was. She answered immediately without hesitation :rofl:

(Scott) #40

Never been there but it is fascinating how many hits you get if you google “Okinawa + spam”

(PSackmann) #41

Interesting, this idea was brought up in a movie I watched yesterday “What’s With Wheat?”. One of the changes brought up was the lack of longer-term processing of wheat grains, to enable the proteins to be broken down. It brought to my mind some of the recipes in “Back to Eden” and made me wonder if natural sour-dough could be included in a maintenance diet, and if it would be digested differently.