Dr. Darren Schmidt : Time To Update Your Keto Knowledge

protein
carnivore

(Troy) #1

More Protein
Works for me :slightly_smiling_face:

(Carl Keller) #2

Aside from him slandering my beloved butter and calling it an “unappetizing oil” :stuck_out_tongue: , I found the video very well done and I wholly agree with Dr. Schmidt. His recommended protein amount (1 gram per pound of goal weight) is the average amount I eat when chasing satiety. I know it works for weight loss.

Just bookmarked it to watch later, thanks for sharing!

(Erin Macfarland ) #4

Very interesting…the protein vs fat ratio is currently something I’m trying to decide on…which way is more beneficial in regards to body comp, energy, BG, etc…

(Troy) #5

Yup
For me, I’m there or close all the time now
Yesterday, I was right at the marker🙂

(Troy) #6

Very interesting!
With this nifty tool

(Karim Wassef) #7

I don’t find this to be true. It may be fine for some people, but protein has a definite effect on increasing my glucose and dropping my ketones.

('Jackie P') #8

I think it is interesting. But I think his patients are a little wimpy! Oooh Dr how can I bear all this fat!:joy::joy::joy:

(Diane Dupree-Dempsey) #9

I am uncomfortable with the food we eat being equated to “moral fiber”. I spent DECADES of my life feeling morally deficient because I was fat. Watching this video brings back that feeling - What I am hearing is that being carnivore is morally better than “old school” keto. That is probably not what he means, but that is what I am hearing.

(Bob M) #10

But decreasing your ketones may not be bad. I can’t find it now, but someone did a one month test of carnivore, ate a lot more protein, dropped their ketones…and lost 5 pounds (while complaining that beforehand she could not lose weight). Jimmy Moore went carnivore, ate way more protein and lost a bunch of weight.

After testing Ted Naiman’s higher protein diet versus Jimmy Moore’s very high fat diet, I now eat much higher protein. For me, protein is filling and fat is not.

(Karim Wassef) #11

Protein is filling but for some of us, it reduces ketones.

I’ve seen no evidence of low ketones being good.

(less is more, more or less) #12

I don’t measure my ketones, and I’ve stopped tracking what I eat, so I cannot be more specific. My n=1 is that protein is beneficial to overall health, exercise and maintenance. I know I’m on the high end of recommendations, that is, towards to 2 grams per kilogram a day. I’m unclear if “reduced ketones” is the same as “low ketones,” and I fully expect there will be some divergence based on a variety of factors, such as age, genes, gender, exercise, etc.

(less is more, more or less) #13

In the more broad sense, he does make claims that are hard to make purely empirical claims against, such as low-carb brings societies into better communal cohesion. He lost me, there, and, from my perch, gets demerits for such claims.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

This fits in with a new Ken Barry MD video I watched yesterday concerning mental health and low carb/ketogenic eating. We all accept that reducing sugars and carbs eliminates or greatly reduces inflammation in muscles, joints, skin and the vascular system and many other parts of the body. Most of us experience shifts in mental outlook, temper and tolerance in a positive direction from going keto. I attributed it to getting off the carb roller coaster but what about inflammation in the brain? It seems that carbs are inflammatory everywhere else pretty much so it’s not a big thing to assume low carb societies are going to have less crime and violence in general from improvement in brain function.

I liked the video @Tmdlkwd , thanks for posting it. I had suspicions that higher protein and less fat might be best for me at this point and I am giving this a go. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bunny) #15

Higher ketones is not a good thing if you have been doing this a long time (e.g. 8 months in), it could mean ketoacidosis, that would be rare but just pointing this out as an example.

Low ketones mean they are being used by the brain and other body parts for fuel if the above is true, in other words ketogenically adapted; you won’t see them on a device (you will barely see them) or pee stick (will test negative) because they are in the process of being burned up for energy nor will you see very many excessive ketones floating around in the blood stream.

As Richard Morris (the dudes) points out below:

”…In his book “The art and science of low carbohydrate living” he gives the range from 0.5 to 3.0 mmol/l

But recently he mentioned that some of Dr Volek’s very athletic subjects were clearly in ketosis at 0.2 mmol/l.

My personal range is from 0.2 to 0.8 mmol/l, and I have been in ketosis for almost 3 years. Prof Tim Noakes is also normally in the same range 0.2-0.8.

I suspect when we first start we aren’t good at using them so we make too many and use too little so we end up with a lot left in our blood. After we become better adapted we end up in whatever physiological range our bodys feel best ensures our survival. And people who are trained and good fat burners may be able to get away with less because they can make it easily. …More

(Troy) #16

@David_Stilley👍🏻

(less is more, more or less) #17

In general, by removing carbs from one’s diet, one should experience improvements across a number of mental health aspects. To then aggregate this change to where whole societies become crime-free, due to nutrition alone, however, is an unserious claim, or at least impractical or unscientific. I’m being semantic, but I’m a fan of “show me the evidence,” and that kind of “evidence” is currently untenable.

Of course, if you have evidence for his claim, I’d love to be wrong, here.

(Karim Wassef) #18

but when eating protein drops ketones, I don’t see that as being due to improved utilization in the body. Especially when eating a calorically equivalent amount of fat suddenly returns ketones…

I’ve been fat adapted for over a year. When my ketones drop and glucose increases, it’s because I ate something that made glucose.

(Erin Macfarland ) #19

@Sculptorma that’s a great response…I feel the same way about a lot of carnivore advocates, there’s a lot of judging and assigning of what’s superior or whatever…totally unnecessary- stick to sharing what’s beneficial rather than being dramatic and critical of other ways of doing things. I’ve been LCHF for 5 years and tried carnivore early last year, just out of curiosity. When i had some questions about it and I read through the Facebook groups the people were so judgmental. It turned me off immediately. One thing I love about this forum is that it is NOT that way at all, and never has been. Everyone respects each other, and acknowledges there’s many different approaches. So thanks for your great observations about this!

(Erin Macfarland ) #20

I’ve been LCHF 5 years and don’t test my blood ketones very often anymore but they are usually in that very low range. I’m very lean and athletic. I eat on the higher end of the protein range. I don’t really force myself to eat tons of extra fat, I find my appetite for it isn’t there, and basing my meals around meat, usually a naturally fatty cut like ribeye, is very satiating. I used to try and “moderate” protein and “fill up on fat” but I’d never feel completely satisfied.