Dr Berg or Dr Berry?

conversationstarters

(Jane) #201

I’m not familiar with the book, Is the author recommending a ketogenic diet? Or taking exogenous ketones?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #202

I would like to order it- but I’m over budget on keto books this month. She claims her husband’s AD was reversed with exogeonous ketones. Follow ups say not so much.

She was an early pioneer I believe - very much working on trial & error.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #204

It’s β-hydroxybutyrate that crosses the blood-brain barrier, but acetoacetate and acetone cannot, is how I understand it.

Β-hydroxybutyrate has other good effects on both brain and body besides serving as fuel, the one relvant to Alzheimer’s disease being the clearing of amyloid buildup and neurofibrillary tangles. My guess is that you linked to Dr. Newport’s books because she writes about curing people’s Alzheimer’s disease with exogenous ketones?

I would further guess that if you read the books, you will find that those patients who eat a well-formulated ketogenic diet are helped the best, because that way they benefit from both endo- and exogenous β-hydroxybutyrate. It would make real sense for Alzheimer’s patients to be given exogenous ketones along with a well-formulated diet. Brain cells that can no longer metabolize glucose properly can usually still metabolize β-hydroxybutyrate quite handily.

BTW, at least some of the beneficial effects of ketones on the brain have been known since the first epileptic was put on a ketogenic diet a century ago, and the beneficial effects on obesity have been known at least since William Banting’s experience in the 1850’s, which he published in his Letter on Corpulence.

Here she is at the Metabolic Therapeutics Conference

(Empress of the Unexpected) #206

Thank you @PaulL. I have four generations of AD so really have to think about this.

(Running from stupidity) #207

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #208

You might or might not know that a couple of the key researchers into the causes of Alzheimer’s disease have started calling it Type III diabetes, because it more and more appears to be a consequence of insulin resistance in the brain. The brain requires a minimum amount of insulin to cross the blood-brain barrier in order to be able to function at all, but as with the rest of the body, insulin in excess seems to cause damage of various sorts. The amyloid plaque and the neurofibrillary tangles I mentioned in an earler post appear to be aggravated, if not actually caused, by excessive insulin.

Amy Berger has a book about AD - I’d be more inclined to start there. She also has articles on her website I think.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #210

@anon54735292 I’m hoping that if you catch me in a misstatement you’ll correct me. After all, you’re the one with the training!

I have no training - I just listen to a lot of podcasts :rofl: :blush: You are well ahead in your understanding and the ability to communicate it :grin:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #212

That is why I am eating meat, cheese and vegetables.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #213

I know this - thus the carbs under 15 grams.

Not surprised to see Berry called a hayseed or his manner cited. My Yankee 6th grade teacher thought I was retarded (long ago when that term was acceptable!) because I had a Southern drawl. I put a version of her in a book not long ago… Literary revenge is sweet.

I like Dr. Berry. Also Fung and Ramos (useful for keto and women’s issues, especially) and Bikman. But when I left a comment on a youtube video asking Dr. Berry to do a video on osteoporosis, he put one up a few days later.

And I’m appreciating the names I don’t know–shall try some of them. Thanks, y’all…

(Jane) #215

NICE!!!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #216

Yes, I know. that is why I am doing keto. Everyone on my dad’s side had AD. Hoping low carb will work.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #217

That was probably my post. It’s one of the things I believe makes him so effective a teacher. His manner is so relaxed and down-home that you don’t feel threatened when he starts spouting the big words. I’ve known plenty of doctors who put on airs. Dr. Berry doesn’t.

His rural manner even gets through my defenses, and I’m as nervous, high-strung, suspicious, and intellectually pretentous a city slicker as you’re likely to ever meet. In fact, it’s not really a “manner,” it’s just who he is: a thoroughly nice guy. Who happens to be brilliant.

(John) #218

Being from the same area as Dr. Berry, I always just thought he sounded normal. Sounds a lot like my urologist, in fact.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #219

Who knew dude? You are totally valued on the forums.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #220

Hmm. . . . does he also look like your urologist and walk like your urologist? :smile: