Don't forget lean mass when looking at weight loss

(Jamie Hayes) #1

With our focus on weight and waist do we ignore muscle mass and strength?

I do get worried when I see people achieving results with keto and IF, but who are clearly losing muscle mass and strength. Some never had much.

I’m of the belief that having optimal muscle mass and strength helps with insulin sensitivity, decrease likelihood of muscle and back strains, BP, and of course decreased likelihood of falls.

We often measure fat and bodyfat %, but it is the absolute lean weight which may be an important health measure by itself.

There are loads of ways to measure muscle and a simple grip strength might be a good indicator. Maybe, how long you can support yourself hanging from a bar. (Don’t damage mum’s Hills Hoist clothes line!) Dexa would be a good, but expensive way to measure.

For me, at 64, I do a single set routine of 5 exercises at the gym once a week. Super-slow (10+10) until voluntary fatigue on each exercise. Takes 30 minutes. Plus I do some basic body weight exercises most mornings. (I’m 174 cm and weigh 73 kg. BMI 24.1 which ignores muscle and so useless. Waist 85 cm. Waist to height ratio 49%)

I’m totally convinced that most people confuse recreation-like physical activity (eg walking) with exercise done at an intensity that send an adaptive signal for muscles to get stronger. The word “intensity” should not scare anyone. Anybody, at any age and fitness level can exercise intensely enough and safely.

I’d like to know if others measure their muscle mass and strength and how they do it.

PS I hope I categorised this properly.

(Deb) #2

I do Lyle McDonald’s short all body weight routine from his Rapid Fat Loss Protocol book 2-3 times a week. And since I am now (finally!) down to 22% bf, I can actually SEE my muscles! And can “feel” and see the fat leaving and the muscle regrouping in its place. If that makes sense. Not scientific but good enough for me! I am also a Zumba instructor 55 years old and full on Zumba…not old lady Zumba Gold!) so intensity is my middle name!

Now if I could get back that smooth muscle of youth instead of lumpy old lady muscle, I’d have it made!

(Allie) #3

I don’t measure anything but the mirror makes me happy, as do the improved recovery times and increased reps at higher weights.

(Jodi) #4

I just had a DEXA scan for the first time and my LBM has really been more of my focus. None of the numbers were shocking, and it was almost reassuring to actually get the scan done and confirm my suspicions, if that makes sense? I know I have fat to lose, and I knew my strength was decreasing but I was still disappointed at the number. The good news was I have excellent bone density!

I have been doing keto for 9 mos more in an effort to feel better mentally than lose fat. I do feel now it’s time to focus more on increasing muscles and losing fat. I have been tightening up my eating and starting to incorporate regular fasting, starting at 24-36hrs, 1-2 times a week. I’m also implementing a body weight strength program by Mark Lauren, and just doing more of the heavy work around the house, instead of having my hubs or son do it.

I plan to re-test in 4-6 mos intervals to monitor my progress.

(Adam Kirby) #5

Ain’t this the truth. It’s a sad commentary on the state of affairs when the current fitness advice is “walk every day”. Unless you’ve been bedridden walking isn’t remotely fitness… strength training, mobility and high-intensity activity are.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I feel that I get enough exercise jumping to conclusions . . . :grinning:

(Mark Rhodes) #7

My third scan is set for October, however my first 4 months of true Keto measured between April & July showed an 8.3 decrease in fat pounds and a 7.2 increase in lean following a very strenuous program. I am 53, 6’2". I was at 24.6% BF, then at 20.4% with a total weight loss of 3 pounds.
Now Dexa does have some issues. It is important to follow the same routine as the first scan. Water, glycogen, food & waste will all be measured as well. Yet if you follow the same protocol it is a reliable way to measure to oneself.

I am hoping for another 2.5% reduction in October and I think I am already there according to my calipers. As to strength, those tests you list could easily incorporate slow and intermediate muscle without ever calling into play the fast twitch. I am of the opinion that if a person is happy with the way they measure progress, then they are successful. My goal is striations LOL!

(Zoe ) #8

Your message makes so much sense. I am seeing very slow scale and waist loss but am definitely seeing muscle gain. Even my myo said my body felt more toned and firm. I had thought so too. I can lift more than I could 6 months ago. I will be trying to do some more intense workouts for my heart fitness as I would like to increase my endurance at high intensity.

I am currently doing a home workout with dumbbells. Next year, I may join a gym and I am thinking of trying the super-slow lifts program you use. It will allow me more more options for increasing weight.

(Karl L) #9

While I agree that the scale shouldn’t be the final authority, I’m curious which people you’re referring to. From everything I’ve read, keto (and IF) is muscle-sparing.

(Amy Arnold) #10

Hello there, thanks for sharing the post. I have heard many good reviews about keto. I agree that anybody at any age can exercise intensely safely. My sister is overweight and trying to lose her weight from last month. As suggested by her friend she is following diet guide from https://www.cellublue.com/fr/product/fit-food-guide/. According to her, she is losing her weight effectively. I will share this useful post with her.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Never been there myself, but I hear it’s pretty nice. (Don’t you just love autocorrect? LOL :rofl:)