Doner Meat & Saveloys (Oi Oi)

(Sybella) #1

Could anyone tell me the ingredients in Doner meat and Saveloys please?

(Ron) #2

Is this any help?

(Laurie) #3

I’ve never heard of Savolys. I looked it up–is it saveloys, a type of sausage? If so, it contains pork and a lot of filler such as potato starch or bread crumbs.

As for donair/shawarma, I think “it depends.” If you buy it from a place where you can see it cooking, and you see an upright spit with many layers of meat on the spit, it’s probably flavored with spices only and therefore fine. You can order just the meat (no pita).

Shawarma

In most restaurants, food carts, etc., where you can’t see it cooking on a spit, it’s probably a processed product–either strips, patties, or ground meat–that contain sugar and/or starchy filler.

The sauce might be an unsweetened sauce with a yogurt, tahini, or oil base. Or it might be a sweet sauce. Again, it depends on where you live, etc., etc. You could order some sauce “on the side” and taste it for sweetness/sugar. You could also ask them what’s in the sauce, but I doubt they’d tell you.

(Allie) #4

Very much depends where you buy it as they’re all different.

Savaloys, like most sausages, are likely full of crap to be honest. Doner meat I will do occasionally, but only from one specific van as he travels to Weston Supermare weekly to buy his meat as, he says, it’s the only seller he’s found that doesn’t fill it with crap.

(Sybella) #5

interesting but doesn’t tell me what the actual ingredients are just the energy values.

(Sybella) #6

thats the problem… however the products do have a similar theme, ie the pink for the Saveloy and the typical lump of the Doner meat wherever you go in the UK… I’ll have to dig deeper and find a main factory where they are made.

(Sybella) #7

Traditional Saveloys were made with pork brains but now thats not the case. Not sure what part of the pig they use but it seems at least half of the mix is fillers etc.

As for the Doner meat… Not sure what meat they use or how they compress it to get the texture.

(Allie) #8

There’s loads of places they’re made so even if you find a factory, it’ll be different than other places. All recipes are different and not always done by the book.

(Sybella) #9

Thank you for the link…thats the sort of information I was looking for. I’ve always thought that it must be a mixture of meats but i’ve never seen a clear label telling you the contents. It seems to be just as the article says that no one really knows. Lol.

(Sybella) #10

found some good info here http://www.istanbulmeats.com/product/doner-kebab-meat-manufacturer/lamb-kebabs/

(ianrobo) #11

as said proper Donner is fantastic … however the stuff you see in fish and chips shop is to be avoided at all costs, it may be fatty but I would ask just how much is from good sources at all, the cheapest of cheap meats, ie… animals kept in the worse possible conditions.

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #12

Well heidi I used to love my little snack on my way home from work, it used to give that little boost of energy to cook dinner. As is with most takeaway food it’s just another way of selling donuts, equal parts of unknown Fats and carbs. I would stay away form anything that don’t have a food label. After all would you drink water from a puddle just because it looks clean? only saying.
You can buy 5 sav’s for £1.50 in armoured plastic from most independent butchers or meat vans at the big markets. Now days it’s mostly chicken, pork, pork fat and grains. It’s why they swell up in water, it’s not the meet soaking up that water! In truth even when I wasn’t T2 I wasn’t brave enough to read the label. lol I will try to get a pic of a label this coming Saturday 8/9/18
Hope I’ve helped, I miss them too.
Drew

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #13

Hello Heidi bad news I’m afraid, this is from Sainsburys today
Sav and B pud.pdf (1.3 MB)!

(ianrobo) #14

and the ones in fish and chips shops you;ld be even worse, stick with sausage !

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #15

Or We could all get together and work it out for everyone to be able to have one too. heidi ! anybody?

Okay eye’s down for the fist link.

https://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=153

http://sausagemaking.com.au/recipe-items/traditional-saveloys/

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #16

More bad news I’m afraid.

(Running from stupidity) #17

My rule is that if I don’t know what’s in it, I don’t eat it. And often I won’t eat it once I discover what’s in it :slight_smile:
I’m lucky in that I’ve got a good relationship with the butchers I buy from, and they’re happy to tell me what’s in the stuff I’m buying.

“That chicken sausage I make? sixty percent chicken trimmings and forty percent chicken fat, that’s it.”

“The bacon? Sure mate, I’ll take a photo of the nutrition panel and Whatsapp it to you.”

(Ken) #18

The sauce used on the Doner meat is awesome. I make it at home. It’s made from yogurt, garlic, and cucumber.

(Allie) #19

Mine too.

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #20

Whole foods is the point for me.
I just like to scare myself and other people with what we used to eat.
And don’t get me started. All grated cheese has potato starch/corn starch on it to stop it sticking together. Supermarket madness.