Don’t trust Nutrition labels on internet recipes!

newbies

(Mary Dinkel) #1

I am fairly new to Keto and look forward to trying new recipes. I found one today for Coconut chocolate cupcakes which would yield 12 cupcakes and each about 3 net carbs. So, I followed the directions exactly using the brands recommended and they are delicious!
I then decided to enter the information into a recipe on My Fitness Pal. The net carbs came out to be more than 2x the published amount. I used MFP scanner to be sure I had the right ingredients. I’m glad I checked this so that I could cut down the portion by eating 1/2 cupcake instead of the whole cupcake.
The bigger issue for me is what to trust on the internet. I guess I’ll start entering the ingredients on MFP from now on just to be sure. You could be consuming hidden carbs without realizing it.

(Rob) #2

Good points but unfortunately, nutrition information is a moveable feast with different apps, sources and brands offering different results. MFP may be different to Cronometer, or LoseIt or the USDA. Brands can differ from each other or change over time (especially if called out for being wrong in the past). In most cases, people don’t weigh their food accurately and while recipes are the exception where most things are weighed, most food diaries are indicative rather than accurate.
In the end, super accurate nutrition calculation is a fools errand and likely to raise cortisol (stress) more than any errant carbs would impact your metabolism. I log everything I eat as well as I can but I don’t believe that the numbers are ‘to the gram’ accurate.
You should take your actual implementation’s carb count as best you can but I wouldn’t stress it - 20g vs 23g is probably not a problem except for the most carb sensitive.

(Mary Dinkel) #3

Thanks — I agree it has to be something that is a guideline. However, in this case it was greater than 2 times the amount. If you scan stuff from the package directly, it is just arthimetic. Oh well, I’ll just be more careful and doublecheck against my instincts.

No wonder the cupcake tasted so good!

(Rob) #4

Indeed :grin:

but there is the law of small numbers vs. ratios…

100% increase :scream:
but 3g vs. 6g… :roll_eyes:

Still - point well made about doing your own calcs based on your ingredients

(Cameron) #5

Hoping for that chocolate coconut cupcake recipe! :heart_eyes:

(matt ) #6

Yup…relative vs absolute. Useful to give perspective.

(Mary Dinkel) #7

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/chocolate-coconut-flour-cupcakes-with-espresso-buttercream-low-carb-and-gluten-free/#comment-196320

Okay, here it is. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts. It’s very possible I goofed up when entering on MFP.

(Mary Dinkel) #8

Very true.

(roxanna) #9

Are you sure it’s not because of erythritol as an ingredient? Lots of online recipes just remove that.

(Cameron) #10

This is a great recipe… seriously yum! I agree with @Capnbob … don’t stress the numbers. I personally won’t eat 6g of carbs on only one item of food every single day, so making these – and enjoying one – felt like a wonderful treat today. EF for the next 4 days now :grinning:

(PKAGIGEBI) #11

Newbie here! My super supportive husband made supper for us tonight - off a recipe I found on the internet for Chili Verde - said it would come out at 6 net carbs per servings. I ran recipe through my tracking software AFTER supper (doh!) and found that it took my carb totals for today from 19 to 29. I’m working so hard to stay at 20 or less.

Is there somewhere you all have found that has reliable recipes?