Dom D'Agostino experiments with exogenous ketone esters

(Jack Bennett) #1

(Bob M) #2

I read that article a while ago, and thought it was very interesting. I don’t think they have a product yet, though. At least one we can buy.

Cool article.

It will be interesting to see how effective the ketone diester may be in treating seizures, as an adjunct cancer therapy, and as a symptomatic treatment for Alzheimer’s sufferers.

Unfortunately in the yoga world I see youngsters spruiking ketone supplements as the easy way to go ketogenic. It will be interesting to see the metabolic effects of high blood glucose and blood ketones together. It has the potential to manufacture an artificial ketoacidosis.

Then someone will die.

Then ketone supplements will be banned and made illegal. Well maybe?

(Bob M) #4

I bought some ketone supplements. For me, they seemed to make me “nervous” and did not seem to affect my blood ketones.

(Jack Bennett) #5

Yeah, I think they will be interesting as medical treatments / drugs. Of course people will want to use them for the usual weight loss and athletic performance.

In the dietary realm, they are an effect rather than a cause. A keto diet is the natural and ancestral way to increase ketone levels and burn fat. Increased ketone levels are an effect. Supplement manufacturers won’t say this, and people always love a quick fix that doesn’t make them change.

(Bunny) #6

I still wonder about this?

I cannot understand why someone would want acidic blood? (at least if you can see a lot of it in your blood stream?)

Maybe a valid medical reason?

Taking something (a chemical) that’s been pre-oxidized (in this case a salt and esters) to resemble a ketone body and then what if your liver decides it does not have to produce ketones any longer when you stop taking them (those unknown side effects?) even if your not on a ketogenic diet just like if you supplement with hormones your body quits producing the specific hormone, then your fat cells release lipids from the fat cells and you can no longer oxidize triglycerides, cholesterol into fatty acids any longer by itself?

You would have to continuously eat exo-ketones and increasing the dose every time you did it and go broke doing it…lol

(Jack Bennett) #7

Yeah, exactly. I don’t know why people mistrust the body to do the right thing in most cases. Ketones are a side effect of preferential fat metabolism that comes from eating the proper diet, not something that you want to have present in your system by whatever means necessary (natural or artificial).

I can see why athletes or people working under extreme conditions (e.g. divers, astronauts, Special Operations military) might use exogenous ketones for specific physical performance needs. For Joe or Jane weekend triathlete, it’s probably overkill, but they are the ones who will make the bulk of the health and athletic supplement market.

Oh yeah, one of the ketone ester athletic supplement companies (perhaps the only one?) was bragging that their product was only $5 a “dose”, where a dose was a couple mL blended in some strong tasting drink to mask the terrible taste.