Doing well with 100 NCP diet

(less is more, more or less) split this topic #27

5 posts were split to a new topic: My How You’ve Grown!

Maybe you guys can start your own thread to discuss the fine details of Phinney etc? This thread is about how limiting both carbs and protein is helping me out :slight_smile:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #31

You’d be very unpleasant to sit next to on a broccoli fast.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #32

Congrats. It’s now how I would do it, but n=1, and I am not you.

I am eating ketogenic diet. About 20g net carbs per day and moderate protein at about 85g per day. What would you do differently?

(Carl Keller) #36

No worries. We all have a bad day here and there. :slight_smile:

In this forum, you never know where a thread will end up. Just think of the topic as springboard for other ideas and thoughts. I’ve learned and laughed quite a bit when the replies stray from the intended course. :slight_smile:

On that note:

You’ve made me realize another NSV. My greenhouse gas emissions have dropped significantly since going LCHF. Keto is not just friendly to those nearest to me, it’s Earth friendly too. :slight_smile:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #37

I would not pick an arbitrary limit to non-fat macronutrients.
I might pick an arbitrary limit to non-protein calories.

But as I said, you are not me, I am not you, and if it is working for you, that is only good.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #38

Not all farts, apparently.

Your fart may have 0% methane, and as little as 10% carbon dioxide.

Or as much as 10 and 30.
Given the protein I consume, I would guess mine have a solid amount of nitrogen.

I think we should get one of Ben Bikman’s grad students on this issue at once… greenhouse gas emissions of SAD vs high protein keto vs low protein keto.

I guess I am a bit grouchy today.

My How You've Grown!
(less is more, more or less) #40

@Jennifer72 You didn’t strike me as grouchy in the least, at least in the temperament reflected in your writing. I thought your request was not only reasonable but a solid suggestion. So much so that I split that tangent off to it’s own thread.

Enjoy your convo!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

LOLZ! A win for everyone, then! :+1:

(mole person) #42

You have done exactly what is most recommended. Find out what works for you.

Trust me, you are by no means alone in finding that it is both easy to overdo protein and that doing so can hinder fat losses. And since there is no benefit to consuming protein beyond the needs of you body, I see no advantage to it. I eat about 45-80 grams myself most days and I generally feel my best the next day when I’m closer to the lower end. Strangely, I also think higher protein makes me hungrier in the following 24 hrs.

Thanks for all the kind replies. I’ll keep with it and continue to report anything I find. I am thinking since I am so very insulin resistant (and a raging diabetic – my blood glucose used to often be over 300 mg/dL), I might have pretty tight thresholds.

(less is more, more or less) #44

Please do. Ironically, in the thread that split off, we’re discussing that as many as 20% of the population do not need to stay below 50 grams of carbs. Having your experience here helps all who come to visit these forums.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

I find this fascinating, because there are also people on these forums who report exactly the opposite. This is obviously an area where people vary quite a bit. I guess we should be careful how to phrase recommendations to newcomers.

(I wonder if we could configure the system to automatically add “YMMV” to every post, lol Or better yet, “YMIGTV”—your mileage is guaranteed to vary!)

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #46

Jennifer, is there a way to set the targets on MyNetDiary?

(mole person) #47

I agree. It seems one of those things where people have to sort out their own tolerances. I’ve also managed to make myself quite ill now twice from going overboard on protein (90+ grams), but I’m pretty sure the problem is that I got too much at one meal rather than in one day.

I am not really impressed with MyNetDiary because they really seemed focused on the calorie in / out model. But what you can do is set a calorie limit to the highest amount of fat you think you might eat on a given day. After that, then adjust the percentages of each macronutrient. You can set limits on carbs and protein and fat you eat after you enter in the total calories – but not on net carbs. I really just ignore all that and have it write the macronutrient data into Apple Health after each entry. That gets sent to my watch… currently net carbs and protein individually. Makes it a lot easier to see where I am at for the day, because I’d have to do like 10 clicks/motions/gestures if I wanted to see it on phone each time.

Ultimately, I want to write my own Apple Watch complication in Swift which sums net carbs and protein, so I only have one number to track.

(Running from stupidity) #49

Yeah, I’m always deliberately vague when writing a lot of stuff for that very reason. It’s frustrating for noobs who arrive wanting answers, but there aren’t any, only guidelines and possible parameters.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #50

I’d love to have an app like that. I was interested in the MyNetDiary because you mentioned that it has an Apple Watch complication. I use Cronometer but it’s kind of clunky.