Doing well with 100 NCP diet

Oh I really dislike the watch compolication with MyNetDiary. Too me useless. They don’t show net carbs and they show the calories and fat grams taking up unneeded space.

I use HealthFace complication right now which can display any data in Apple Health database. MyNetDiary writes to it every time you enter something into MyNetDiary.

362.4 lbs – down 11.5 pounds in past 16 days. FBG: 101 mg/dL.

Had a snag last week. On Wednesday late morning I started experiencing what I believed to be a very bad pain in my left kidney – it reminded me of the gall bladder pain but in different area… i.e. organ/internal type pain. I had taken 600mg of Ibuprofen a couple times the day before due to shoulder pain and tailbone pain (perhaps related to gout not sure) – I normally never take this med. Anyways I think the Ibuprofen combined with ketones and higher uric acid, were all competing for renal tubular excretion and perhaps that taxed the kidney. Or a kidney stone was starting to form (I have gout). This is my thinking anyways.

So on Wednesday I ate some food items to get out of ketosis, to lower uric acid and ketone build up to be easier on the kidneys. However, that triggered a viscious cycle and long story short I had 3 days this past week or so where I ate like 250 NCP or so… 2.5 times more than my limit I set of 100 NCP.

Anyways, my kidney felt better after two days (I dunno perhaps it could of been my back, but it was on the left side and right where kidney is… never really get back pain in that area before).

As of yesterday I am back on track and ate 100 NCP (on the nose). I’m the lightest I’ve been since I started 16 days ago. Again 11.5 lb weight loss so far.

Going to keep this going and perhaps not take anymore Ibuprofen again just to be safe. Also will keep close eye on uric acid (I have a UA meter) and take more allopurinol as needed to keep it down so there is less competition in the kidney.

(Another thing I was worried about is potential lactic acidosis from the 2000mg of Metformin ER I am taking daily, due to the apparently impaired kidney function. What do you think about taking Metformin ER while on keto? Is it bad as Dr. Fung suggests since it is keeping the liver from getting rid of the sugar it wants to expel? My ALT AST are very good at around 15 each, btw.)

Was just watching the following excellent Dr. Phinney Q/A video!

A lady asked Phinney about Total Carbs vs. Net Carbs and he said they use Total Carbs to “keep it simple”.

I am glad he gave that answer because unlike Jimmy Moore I don’t think he believes that fiber is digested by the body and does not raise blood glucose. He’s just doing it to “keep it simple”.

That said, I’m glad I am counting net carbs carefully because I like to take advantage of the fiber in certain foods. e.g. keto bread, pecans, etc… I personally think a bit of fiber is good for the gut flora, but I really only eat about 10g of it per day it seems. I might up that.

[Interestingly, Dr. William Davis recommends raw potato for gut flora and said it wouldn’t raise blood glucose. Now, since I am a diabetic, if I ate a cooked potato my blood glucose would probably skyrocket from 100 to 200 in short order. A few times back 15 months ago, I did try eating the raw potato, and suprisingly it was true, it didn’t raise my blood glucose at all… but I did notice a lot of gaseous activity in my stomach/bowel after eating it… the microbiome feeding off of it like mad.]