Does water displace fat in fat cells as you loose weight?

This infographic has been around and I’m wondering how accurate it is? It kind of makes sense, but I’m not a scientist, doctor, or anything. Thoughts?

If this keeps people motivated then I’d say it’s fine, however I doubt it’s this simple. When you water fast for example you are losing fat at a rapid rate and from most accounts including my own your fat cells don’t seem to be filling up with water. If you want to have a “whoosh” that everyone seems to buy into, do a water fast. Also, throw your scale away. It serves as a source of discouragement far more often than a source of motivation. Fat cells live for ten years, my advice is do keto and intermittent fasting for the next decade then weigh yourself if you must.

(Siobhan) #3

I’ve seen it written about here:

Would love to see if there is an actual study done on it though

(Khara) #4

It seems info-graphics can get one to believe just about anything. It’s hard to know which ones to trust without doing extensive research. Thanks for the article @siobhan. Both the graphic and article resonate with me because this is exactly how I experience weight loss. I hover at a given weight for weeks/months and then literally overnight several pounds of drop. So, this info is intriguing and gives a great visual explanation but it’d be nice to see more science on it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Having recently gained access to a scale (I’ve been too cheap to go out and buy one) I’ve been weighing myself a lot just because I can, and I am seeing a lot of variation from hour to hour. I’ve come to the conclusion that frequent weighing is not helpful. Better to rely on how I feel and how poorly my clothes fit—I’ve already had to give away my first pair of baggy jeans!

(Adam Kirby) #6

I have no idea what the actual science is, but the whole stall/whoosh thing seems to be near-universal in people losing weight, so it is a very compelling idea. Otherwise people would slowly and linearly lose weight every day, which almost no one does.

Gaining weight usually happens in bursts also, but as we know that’s more hormonal than anything. Hard to imagine losing weight is much different.