Does the rendered fat count?

(Samuel Ashford) #1

I am currently experimenting with carnivore and have a question for you veterans. This is a little geeky, but for experimental purposes, I am tracking the macros and doing a little study on it.

So it may be a stupid question, but what I’m looking at a food label, does fat represented on the label include the rendered fat from meat? For instance, if I throw a pound of 73/27 ground beef in the iron skillet, do I get the entire amount of fat in grams expressed on the food label by eating the meat alone, or by the meat and rendered fat together?

I’ve tried to find the answer to this on the USDA website and in their literature with no luck. Maybe I didn’t dig deep enough.

My purpose is just trying to get a little closer to nailing down the actual grams of fat I’m consuming with the cuts of meat that I’m eating.

Any help would be appreciated!

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Unless you lick the pan clean (you know who you are!!) you are not consuming all the fat from the meat, or fats used on veggies etc. There is always a bit left behind.

I’m not anal enough to worry about that and it is one of the reasons why I just stopped logging after doing it for 4 years of doing that daily.

(mole person) #3

The latter.

(Samuel Ashford) #4

Oh yeah oh, I get it. It’s not an anal thing for me, just playing with the numbers a little for experimental purposes. If the carnivore thing works for me, who knows? I might do with the rest of my life. Too early to tell. If I do, there won’t be any macro counting.

(4e82945357be9ba37151) #5

I have wondered about this myself…like what % of the fat is lost during the cooking process in something like ground beef or bacon if we toss the grease/oil/rendered fat instead of adding/retaining it in the dish we’re preparing? Going to see if I can find any significant info…:slightly_smiling_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Bacon is very confusing and inaccurate to log. The fat to protein ratios vary from pack to pack. How do you log it when you chop up raw bacon and cook it with greens? How do you log a burger when cooking it well done releases a lot of fat while a medium rare burger doesn’t ? How is the fat ratio to protein determined for steaks when they vary so much? These things say to me that data base info is just an average of an unknown number of samples.

To complicate matters further the FDA allows a 20% margin of error in food labeling besides the rounding down of carbohydrate listed in a serving of that amount is 0.5g. or less which is further Manipulated by listing ridiculous portion sizes, like 1/3 can of coca cola. They make information hard for us with laws that favor food manufacturers

(Samuel Ashford) #7

You bring up many good points. Thanks for the input. And yes, there are numerous variables, making it a moving target - to say the least.

In the end, I know it’s both natural and long-term the only sustainable way of eating to just eat a fatty cut of meat to satiety and stop. And then eat again when full. That’s how humans have always eaten - not with a device in hand telling them they’re full. We evolved hunting and eating without weighing the kill - or ourselves.

After the first thirty years of life damaging my metabolism, I am not a pristine specimen of the paleolithic era coming into this game. I come to this WOE with familial genetic predispositions plus my own insults to my health. I know that is the case for most of us.

Last year I tried carnivore and the blood work results were not favorable, most notably the TGs, which were north of 300 with two separate tests. After going back Paleo/Keto, over six months, they came down to 62.

With my second attempt, I’m trying to regulate the input/output closely to see how my body responds to a more guided and monitored approach. Last year’s attempt was not like that. I was eating every piece of meat in site last year. This year I’m logging and weighing, to keep a more keen eye on what goes in the pie hole.

Just for clarification.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

Same here, I have been through too numerous of health issues stemming from both these sources, that combination is metabolic dynamite! I’ve got most of my body still so for what it’s worth the drive to move forward and try to reverse my role in the damage incurred still survived and finally came to the point I needed to listen. Here I am feeling better than I have the last 25 years.

Good luck with round two on carnivore. I haven’t tried it but have been into watching lots of CarnivoryCon videos on YouTube. I do smaller stretches mixed with regular KETO days and IF pretty much everyday. I am close to maintenance now. :cowboy_hat_face:

I can tell you, experientially, that you get more fat rendered out of the fattier ground beef. I often save it off as tallow for cooking something else later. For burgers, you might notice the leaner grinds don’t shrink as much on the grill.