Does sugarfree gum break a fast

fasting

(Chelan Ortiz Lewis) #1

Does sugarfree gum break a fast? I’ve read conflicting information and I’ve just recently started doing my first 24hr fasts…however, only if I am chewing gum.

(Hayden Shrewsbury) #2

What is the sweetener I guess is the real question. Depending on the sweetener, it can cause an insulinogenic response more so than other sweeteners.

(Chelan Ortiz Lewis) #3

I have been chewing Trident which has Xylitol.

Hi, I’m wondering about this as well. I am not diabetic, but very insulin resistant. I have been chewing Trident compulsively to help with my fasts. I have been using a blood glucose meter to measure my blood sugar after eating, and recently had my sugar spike up to 250 after eating a Keto Shake, without a lot of crap in it. Then I read Delay don’t Deny, where she says that sugar free gum can cause an insulin spike, which will mess up your fast…You might try seeing what effect the gum has, i haven’t done this yet. Highly recommend that book though, really a great synopsis from many of the other fasting books.

(Steak and iron) #5

It depends what you are considering a “fast”

Some people have fat on their fast, some people have just water, some have bone broth some have salt some have vegetable juice. Depends how you define the fast.

I think the sweet flavor of gum will just make you more hungry during your fast and is probably best avoided.

(Chelan Ortiz Lewis) #6

Thank you for your response. Yesterday I did 24 hour fast without the gum, and it did seem easier than it was when I was chomping on gum all day.

(Chelan Ortiz Lewis) #7

Which book are you referring to?

(Hayden Shrewsbury) #8

ya I would agree with @stupidrobots . Ultimately though I believe it’s a couple things though

1. How your body responses to certain sweeteners. In some cases people can’t handle sweeteners because simply because their body still registers that as sugar regardless if it isn’t. So if you’re hoping to fast to produce ketones that will be blocked due to your body believing sugar has entered the system and will produce insulin causing you to stall.

2. How you handle fasting. For me personally I can chew gum while fasting without any issues, but as of someone whose trying something out new it would probably be best to hold off until you can verify your body can handle the fast alone and then incorporate things such as chewing gum to see your results.

Just my two cents!

(Chelan Ortiz Lewis) #9

Thanks! I fasted yesterday without the gum and it was much easier than with the gum. Fasting again today, and not craving the gum at all. So I take that as a win!

(Willy Fresh 89) #10

I chew alot of gum while fasting to try to keep Keto breath away and it’s never affected my weightloss, but everyone is different… I like to do intermittent fasting 20:4 six days a week and a 24 hour fast on Sunday so chewing gum and black coffee are my go to lol good luck tho :smile:

(Carrie ) #11

All artificial sweeteners cause an insulin response… some more so than others. If your goal is to improve your insulin resistance, I’d recommend you try to avoid it.

(Eda) #12

The straightforward answer is Yes sugarfree gum also break a fast.

Let me ask you a question: If Sweet free gum doesn’t have sweet what makes it taste? You’re intelligent enough to guess the answer.

Yes, you’re right. They have artificial sweeteners & flavours. This is the reason you feel taste while chewing even a sweet free gum.

Still, have queries? Then I strongly suggest you check out this article which is about can you chew gum while fasting.

You will get a lot more knowledge about chewing gum while fasting.

@eda07
How about a more friendly answer? NOBODY here is an imbecile.

As far as weight loss is concerned my days of water fasts and Diet Mt. Dew fasts are about the same. If looking for Autophagy benefits that might be different.