Does salmon roe have fat?

(M) #1

this website ( https://www.doctorkiltz.com/salmon-roe/ )says 100g has 14g of fat yet most other websites say less than 3g. That’s a huge difference. I’ve never had it. It doesn’t really look like it could have that much fat. Does anybody know?

(Michael) #3

I use 6.4 g per 100g myself. Part of the problem is that we can never really know what we are getting since the data is for the animal they measured that may not have the same consistent nutrition across all animals of that species, nor do all the sites show consistent values.

Yep, for what @Naghite said. For salmon roe, the difference in my daily macros would be negligible due to the small amount I would eat.
But when I eat 500g (or more) pork shoulder with a very unknown fattiness…? My already not so great accuracy goes out of the window.

I usually go for the most common macros if in doubt. Of if I have a database I trust, that is an option too.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Salmon is quite a fatty fish. Are you sure the site was talking about the roe and not a salmon steak or fillet?

In any case, as Michael points out, the U.S. Department of Agriculture figures all show salmon roe as containing in the neighbourhood of 1.3 - 4.3 g of fat per 100 g of roe.

(Ohio ) #6

Salmon roe is the best way to stimulate the endocannabinoid system. I assume it’s because of the robust o3 profile. I eat salmon roe as much as possible because of the effects.

(M) #7

Can you explain what stimulating the endocannabinoid system does?

(Ethan) #8

Im also interested in knowing what effects you are looking for.

(M) #10

It appears from some data that salmon roe can have 20mcg b12 per 100g. It seems like it could be a good treatment for people like me who have trouble absorbing b12. I’m not going to lie though, I’m a little scared to try it. I have eaten chicken and cod liver, parts of fish heads but something about the eggs scares me a bit.

(Ohio ) #11

It has every vitamin and mineral as far as I know.

I’m a medical marijuana card holder via epilepsy. Cannabis is fat soluble. So my MCT oil is laced with cannabis. My experience is certain foods that stimulate the endocannabinoid system can ramp up the potency of cannabis. Some more than others. O3 foods do this. The bioavailability of o3 becomes very noticeable when comparing fish, to nuts and seeds. Same with grass finished beef. Probiotics also work here too. Other well documented foods are broccoli and mango. Although mango is hit or miss from my n=1 could be a ketosis issue.

Back to salmon roe, it works better than anything. Awesomeness. :fish::tropical_fish::blowfish:

(M) #12

Thank you for explaining. However, I’m not really interested in cannabis. I’d really just like the nutritional benefits of the vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids.

(Ohio ) #13

The point I was trying to make was that the endocannabanoid system reacts to o3 and that cannabis users can pick up on what foods have generous amounts of o3.

Seeing the thread title, forced me to say something about my favorite keto food.

(M) #14

I tried the roe today. It was just frozen sockeye roe. Is it supposed to taste so fishy? I’m pescatarian and used to fishy tastes obviously but this was quite fishy indeed… was also a bit bitter, perhaps tangy as well. Ingredients are just sockeye roe ikura and sea salt, no preservatives.

All the roe I had in my life was somewhat fishy and salty. And not a particular treat apart from the looks. But it may be just me.
But it never was very very fishy. Fish meat itself is way better at that.
Don’t remember bitterness (and I would, I am sensitive to it)…
It was long ago though. I loved visiting Japanese restaurants. I had roe since, similar but as I don’t like it much, it was just once or twice.

I know we humans perceive things very differently. But of course the actual product may be very different.

Says who? What dose is effective? How are you measuring? What about increased toxins levels in fish and by extension in their eggs?

(M) #17

do the eggs have more toxins than the fish meat?

Hard to tell. A number of experts have mentioned that salmon roe/eggs contain more toxins than fillets, but I cannot find any study that addresses this point. I will keep looking.

(M) #19

Well the report for mercury in alaskan fish doesn’t list mercury as being higher in the eggs. I don’t know about other toxins.

Some interesting bits I read about roe:

" Many of the most powerful benefits of salmon roe come from its copious amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA.

For people with Alzheimer’s disease, the brain struggles with glucose uptake leading to an accumulation of amyloid-beta plaques, and tangles of a protein called tau inside neurons. [4] These factors dramatically impair normal brain function.

The DHA in salmon roe promotes glucose uptake in the brain, reducing the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.2 And DHA has been shown to protect against cognitive decline for people who already have the disease.[5]

Interestingly, these DHA’s effectiveness against Alzheimer’s is only apparent when DHA is consumed in the diet in the phospholipid form that is found in salmon roe. It is not effective when taken as a dietary supplement. [6]

The neuroprotective benefits of omega-3s are also linked to their anti-inflammatory properties. It is theorized that reducing inflammation in the brain can inhibit neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. [7] [8]

2. Supports Infant Brain Development

The nutrient profile of salmon roe may have special benefits for pregnant women. And it can improve fertility in both men and women.

The omega-3 DHA in salmon roe comes in a phospholipid form. When your body processes this type of DHA it gets broken down into a molecule called DHA-lysoPC. This molecule can more easily cross the blood-brain barrier, making it the brain’s preferred source of DHA. [9] This easily-absorbed DHA is essential for the healthy brains of babies and mothers. [10]

In fact the human brain is made up of 60% fat, and 25% of that is DHA."

Question:

They say the roe has more EPA and DHA than the salmon itself. If these are fatty acids how can that be when there is less fat in roe than in the salmon?

(Ohio ) #20

The government acknowledges the relationship between o3 & the endocannabinoid system. My n=1 is that salmon roe works better than the other o3 foods. Dose of cannabis? ** I’m not aware of any foods free from toxins; although I will admit the ocean gets notably worse by the decade.

** So let’s say a MMC holder does 30-50 mg of cannabis normally. Factor in a breakfast of fresh salmon roe. I’d be wary of a 20 mg dose. :peace_symbol::v:

It is indeed fishy and salty. I find the best use is as a garnish for somewhat mild fish, like baked salmon. A little roe jazzes things up a bit.

(M) #22

That is what Ive begun doing with it too. It’s grown on me. Kind of like people add mayonnaise with chicken egg yolks and olive oil to their sandwiches. I add fish roe, canned cod liver oil instead. I wish the canned cod liver and its oil were not cooked and canned but that’s the only way I can get it.