Does occasional extended fasting help?

extendedfast

(THERESA PITTS) #1

I an currently IF 16:8. I haven’t been able to consistently do any type of extended fast due to scheduling issues. But, I find my husband out of town for the next 5 days and it is a perfect opportunity to do an extended fast. But, if I only do an extended fast occasionally, does it do any good or provide any benefit?

I am currently 30 lbs from my goal weight, not diabetic and no outward signs of metabolic disease.

TIA

Thomas Seyfried (sp) a cancer researcher advocates doing an extended fast once every so often to help with autophagy, allowing your body to renew itself. I believe Dom D’Agostino agrees. I never heard Seyfried myself but have heard him mentioned in podcasts

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

A water fast for 5 days once a year is his recommendation for healthy people who want to avoid cancer. Not sure if there is any real proof on that claim. But it couldn’t hurt.

It is best to mix up things when losing, so an extended fast would be a good thing. I had been keto transitioned to LCHF from Aug. 16 to end of April 17, that is when I decided to try extended fasting. I lost my last 15 lbs. on April 29. So yeah, extended fasting is worth it. I did 36, 48, and one 4.5 days of extended fasting during that time period. I actually ended up below my goal weight and I have kept it off. I do IFing regularly 4-5 days a weeek, 36 or 48+ fasts when I feel like it now. I always feel energized at the end of an extended fast. I do coffeew/coconut oil or HWC, bone broth, teas, and a heck of a lot of pink salt on those extended fasts, not just water

(Tim W) #4

Speaking from experience, extended fasts can help you drop the pounds and improve insulin response (even if you are not diabetic, you might have room for improvement here).

Don’t be surprised at how random weight loss can be during an extended fast. I once did a 10 day fast, and I gained weight on days 8 and 9 (water and black coffee only and I GAINED WEIGHT???). It was due to water retention and on day 10 I dropped back down.

Expect to lose anywhere from .5 to 1.5 pounds a day but expect to put about 1/2 of it back on within a week of re-feeding (that’s a good thing IMHO). The better your hydration protocol while fasting, the better you’ll feel and the less weight re-gain post fast, since less of your loss was simply water loss (so, drink your ketoaid, use the sea salt on the tongue trick, and drink lots of water/la croix etc.). Stay away from diet sodas if you can stand it, especially those with ACE-K as it can spike insulin and cause intense sugar/carb cravings (at least it does for me).

Good luck!

(Ethan) #5

It’s infuriating that Ace-K is in EVERYTHING now. It’s horrible. I avoid all sweeteners during a fast. I think it keeps me focused.

(Tim W) #6

Agreed and I tend to do the same (avoid all fake sweeteners). I like Lacroix with a little lemon and lime juice, that tends to quench my desire for SOME kind of flavor during an EF (after 7-8 days I often want something to break up the monotony).

(Ethan) #7

I agree. I binge San Pelegrino, la croix, runa cans, runa tea leaves, coffee, and espresso

(MelissaH) #8

This was very helpful thank you! Bone broth is okay even though it has protein in it? The carton I have says 2g per cup. I started my first fast today so I’m still researching

(Lonnie Hedley) #9

Dr. Fung advocates for bone broth IF NEEDED on a fast. Like you, I don’t understand how this works since it contains protein. My guess is you still get most of the weight loss effects, but it’s going to inhibit autophagy which is more important to me than weight loss. I just do water/black coffee and break the fast if my body tells me it needs food.

(MelissaH) #10

I read an article by him as well. Is there such a thing as too much salt? I’ve read that you can flush out too many electrolytes while fasting if not careful. Also that you can gain weight(water retention) if there is an imbalance. Thoughts?

(Lonnie Hedley) #11

Definitely a thing as too much salt. However, that’s A LOT of salt.

(MelissaH) #12

Thanks! I’m such a spaz worrying I’m doing something wrong. Hopefully it go away😉

(Carpe salata!) #13

Just try things, see how you feel. Stop when you want to. You can try different strategies next time. I was doing OMAD for several months, then fasting was easier. But the first time I had 2 days of headaches. The next time was much better. I have a decent fat reserve so I think just water fasting (with some salt) is the best idea for me.

(MelissaH) #14

Thanks Peter! I’ve been doing 2 meals a day no snacking for awhile now. If I’m not hungry I just skip dinner. Maybe the thought of not being a loud to eat is what has my mind wondering.

(Carpe salata!) #15

I agree Melissa. Sometimes I think it’s 90% mental. After all, we were trained into a culture where eating 3 meals plus ‘fun’ snacks is only normal. Our evolutionary past says that’s not normal.
Break free. :slight_smile:

(MelissaH) #16

When does atophogy start when fasting?

(MelissaH) #17

I don’t mind breaking the norm… people ask me all the time why I’m not eating at this time or that? If I’m not hungry I don’t eat. Who cares if 12pm lol

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Recent research out of McMaster University and other places suggests that 5 g/day of sodium (2.5 tsp of table salt) is ideal for human health. The risk curve rises quite steeply for smaller doses than that, rather less steeply for increased doses. Unless you are hyptertensive, however, in which case the risk curve for increasing doses is just as steep as for decreasing. People eating a ketogenic diet probably need more, but how much more no one has said.

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #19

I was wondering as well. I’m on 48 hours fasting. I wanted to know when the benefits of this kick in

Sometime last year, my hubby found a video on Roku or the like, about fasting. We watched it with great interest, and decided to do a 5 day- water/broth fast and have a morning coffee. We both just went on it, cold turkey. No practice fasting…just boom. We’d have a little salt in our water, and I have to take iron pills…other than that, we stuck to it. Lunch and dinner consisted of 8 oz heating chicken broth.
Even though we’re in our early and mid 50’s. by day 4, we were running circles around our kids. The amount of mental clarity was astounding. And, we really didnt’t feel all that hungry. We both lost a good 10 pounds, each. Felt great. Going to do it again soon.