Does high insulin cause Arteriosclerosis?

(Cat) #1

Can anyone tell me if insulin causes Arteriosclerosis? in the form of IR as well as injecting it to compensate for high sugar intake… (everyone says it’s high sugar but I heard it was insulin too?) if so does anyone know the process or if possible a study that states this?

Many thanks :slight_smile:

(Ethan) #2

I recall an episode where @richard cited an n=1 animal study on a dog (performed long ago) where they injected one leg with insulin, but not the others. The one leg/side that did get insulin had a lot of issues, including arteriosclerosis.

(Richard Morris) #3

Yup … though it was n=19

(Cat) #4

thanks guys yea I remember this episode… but I wondered if this was a “thing” in people with IR and/or people who injected insulin to compensate for sugary foods?

I’m on a diabetic course at the moment and although I know what the “real” information is, they keep saying that the new way to treat a diabetic is not to make their diet different from anyone else and treat them the same they are able to eat what everyone else can and can use insulin to compensate for this. I know this is wrong as the diet they are suggesting is a normal standard diet. I wanted to show some proof that insulin itself can be harmful such as IR where it’s not being utilised as well as it should and people injecting insulin or even the “type 1 and a half” people who injected but are IR because of central obesity which is happening more often these days

(Ethan) #5

I think the simplest proof that this line of reasoning (for a type-2 diabetic only) is stupid is to look at fasting and baseline insulin levels. IN the T2DM patient, fasting and baseline insulin levels are high–this is well known and indisputable. Obviously, we know that injecting MORE insulin in such a patient will increase insulin levels. We also have proven that insulin causes fat storage. This can be clearly seen int he T1DM patient who cannot store fat at all. That is, when you give a patient insulin, that patient gains weight. The mainstream medical practices don’t care about health–only weight. Thus, they can conclude that the weight gain caused by insulin is harmful.

(Jacob Wagner) #6

That would be true if other people were eating a healthy low carb diet to begin with. Of course if that was the norm then there wouldn’t be so many people with diabetes.

–Jacob

(VLC.MD) #7

A simple doctor way to look at diabetes and health is …
High sugars hurt the small blood vessels … eyes and kidneys. Controlling high sugars saves the eyes and kidneys, but doesn’t seem to help heart attacks and strokes (big blood vessel problems). Maybe hyperinsulinemia not hyperglycemia is the primary driver of atherosclerosis ?

(Cat) #8

Exactly!!! I live in the UK and and Work as a practice Nurse and a healthy diet that out NHS provide is far from healthy as is so many places and countries

(Cat) #9

This is what I’m thinking, I know it can cause inflammation thus causing increased risk of CVD
I found this study http://www.revespcardiol.org/en/atherogenesis-and-diabetes-focus-on/articulo/90113980/

(Ken) #10

As I recall, Athero is caused by hyperinsulinemia. It causes stiffness and micro cracking of the blood vessels. The body’s protective response is to produce plaque to repair the damage.

Ketone bodies act as a solvent, with the ability to reduce athero plaque. The same concept applies to chronic alcoholism, with the alcohol acting as the solvent.

This is the main reason Statin use is questionable, since it’s a symptomatic treatment, rather than dealing with the root cause.

(VLC.MD) #11

Alcoholics have short lives.
Ketone bodies acting as a solvent … neat idea. So ketosis soften arteries ?

(Ken) #12

It’s not so much it softens arteries, but it keeps them from becoming hard, by avoiding the root cause of hyperinsulinemia, combined with ketone secretions preventing plaque accumulation.

(VLC.MD) #13

If ketosis helps avoid atherosclerosis, a ketogenic diet will change society. Less Heart Attacks, Less Strokes, Less Dementia … will add +10 years of life to the average person ?

I am unable to find any information showing ketosis helps avoid atherosclerosis-related disease. I think that it could have profound benefits, but speculation is speculation.

That being said, a ketogenic diet … that results in weight loss and a normalizing of food intake surely has major benefits independent of ketosis.

(Ken) #14

I may be overly cynical, but the pharma industry will do all it can to promote symptomatic treatments of dubious effectiveness. Consider not only Statins, but the diabetes industry, as well as immuno-suppressants. Arguably all treating conditions that are created by discordant nutritional patterns.

The issue is not ketosis. The issue is lipolysis. Which is arguably Mankind’s natural nutritional pattern, in terms of Evolution.

(Doug) #15

Ken, so very true. The hundreds of billions of Dollars therein…

(Boston_guy) #16

Dr. Ted Naiman has a great talk on the problems with insulin. It’s jam-packed with studies and data. Good overview at 2:02-

(Ken) #17

A few years ago my mother required bypass surgery. While she was in the hospital, I reviewed the dietary guidelines her nutritionist had set for her. I was shocked. The nutritionist had put her on the typical high complex carb, low fat, low protein diet that had actually caused her condition. It was not until later that her cardiologist validated my recommendations on nutrition. It was thought at the time she would need a pacemaker, now after some time following a lipolytic nutritional pattern, she has regained almost total heart function. She is 78 years old and weight trains three times per week. She follows my training guidelines and makes sure she hits the lactic acid stimulus threshold when she trains, so now she’s gaining strength and muscle mass. She looks like she’s in her fifties, and is in excellent health.

(Cat) #18

Oohhh that’s great thanks x