Does extra fatty, salty, chicken bone broth cause weight gain?

I lost about 4 pounds on my last 60 hour fast. I was feeling pretty awesome about that, until … I gained 6 pounds. WTF? I was being very careful with what I was eating, chicken, beef, veggies, lots of fat. BUT … then I had a lot of chicken bone broth with lots of salt. And BAM, 6 pounds gained. Does bone broth pack on weight? I don’t get it and I’m really frustrated. So today I’m fasting 24 hours to see if maybe it’s water weight from all the salt???
I’m trying to lose 15 pounds to get to my goal weight, where I was prior to the holidays.
Thanks

(Ken) #2

In a word, yes. It’s possible to flux massive water weight due to salt intake. I did a little experiment some years back, I added eight lbs. over a 24 hr period. Just by eating ham and other salty foods. I think I could have added even more.

(Karen) #3

I really react to salt. Water weight ,yes, but achy joints too.

K

Lost 4-lbs of what? Probably water mostly. The science is out there on fasting, trust the process. The science is also out there that short term changes in bodyweight tell you almost nothing useful. Trust the science, keep fasting and throw your scale away.

This begs the question, why would I lose a lot of water weight on a fast if I am already in steady ketosis?
Ok, so I fasted yesterday for about 22 hours. I must have urinated 5 gallons, it was crazy. And now I’m almost back to the pre- bone broth weight. I had no idea salt would make me gain so much water weight. I’m not usually a big salt consumer.
Oh and I know I lost some fat when I fasted, I can tell when I look in the mirror.

There is some solid science out there which indicate that not consuming enough sodium on a regular basis can lead to water retention. It’s contrary to common belief but I believe it’s true for most people. If you want to learn more check out a book called “The Salt Fix”. My guess is in your case your body is adjusting between low levels of sodium and high levels, without a consistent sodium intake over weeks or months you’ll likely see the scale bounce around as your water weight is all over the place.

Guaranteed you lost some fat, probably somewhere around 1-lb to 1-1/2lbs would be my guess.

If you look in the mirror and see fat loss then why are you frustrated? This is a prime example of why the scale is not your friend. I don’t think people realize how contradictory they sound sometimes.

I guess that does sound contradictory, but I typically gain 2 to 3 pounds from morning to nighttime. It’s very reliable.
When all of a sudden the scale jumps up at bedtime its pretty concerning to me.
My husband is always telling me not to worry about weight when I tell him I gained weight. But what he doesn’t understand is that when I weigh a certain weight I look amazing and I fit into my skinny jeans. When I weigh much more than that I don’t look amazing (just my conceited opinion, not his) and I don’t fit into my skinny jeans. Its pretty black and white. I know there are other more meaningful ways to gauge weight loss, but the scale is something that I have access to and provides some useful insight into what is going on in my body.

But that’s precisely the point, the scale does not do that. The scale isn’t telling you if you are retaining water from some salty broth or if you ate carbs for the last week. Stick with what works for you of course but it sounds like the scale is causing you frustrations while at the same time offering nothing beneficial.

(CharleyD) #9

Enough salt in the broth and you will also be consuming a Salt Flush. Ask me how I know.

What’s a salt flush, tell tell tell me …

(CharleyD) #12

Indeed. If you don’t care to know, just try to keep it less than a TBS of salt per quart of water. Otherwise be sure that you wore your brown pants. Adding salt to solid food is A-OK.

Ah, got it. I had no idea.

Shouldn’t in a keto’r, but anythings possible. The biggie is WHAT was gained! Most likely just water weight. My normal fluctuation is in the 5-10lb area most of the time. Unless I cross the 10lb marker I don’t even pay attention to it.

(CharleyD) #15

In all seriousness, it’s a pretty decent and cheap as heck way to clear yourself out. However, the salt that you drink will pull water out of you, and can truly lead to electrolyte imbalance if done often.

I had known about Epsom salts being used as a laxative but I thought it had to do with the magnesium in it. I did not know that regular salt would do that. Though i did know you will die if you drink too much sea water, I thought it would just dehydrate you.
Very interesting, thanks!

(CharleyD) #17

Yep, the water comes out one way… or the other, rimshot

(Jessica ) #18

I completely understand. I have the same issue