Does coffee raise insulin

(Cesar luis) #1

Hi, I would like to know, because I am fasting to keep my insulin to a minimum but I am having a lot of decaffeinated coffee to help me with the fasting? Is that counterproductive.
Thanks for your answers.

(Chris) #2

Negligible if anything. Drink it black to be sure.

(Cesar luis) #3

I just put a little of almond milk…no sugar or sweeteners.

(Chris) #4

That may raise insulin. Probably not by much though.

(Brian) #5

Adrenaline, yes. Insulin, not so much.

(the cheater) #6

Interesting. I didn’t know this! Time to dive into some research :slight_smile:

(Omar) #7

coffee has more than two hundreds substances not only caffeine. So when research done on coffee there is no way they can point to which substance is responsible for the result.

decaf is worse than regular coffee they have to use some bad stuff to extract the caffeine and even then about 10% of the caffeine remains with trases of the chemicals.

coffee is research proven to raise the stress hormon which in turn elevates insulin.

you will find lots of good reports about coffee but we always doubt the reports that claims that carbs have good health benefits and we say that they are paid by sugar industry. but we never say that about coffee.

I found that coffee was preventing me getting into ketosis and a significant improvement to my life quality after quitting coffee.

It could be only me. Coffee is kind of a relegion rituals any way. So it will be hard to convince people to change their religion.

(Mike W.) #8

I 100% agree with Alpha. Coffee can increase Cortisol which in turn would increase insulin.
https://idmprogram.com/closer-look-cortisol-hormonal-obesity-xxxx/

(Carl Keller) #9

I’ve read lots of literature on the web that says coffee (decaf or regular) is ally of fasting, including autophagy. Thomas DeLauer talks about it in this video.

(Robert C) #10

Caffeine can raise cortisol - a stress hormone which raises insulin.
Caffeine can interfere with sleep - which is very important to fat loss.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

There is a water process that does away with the nasty chemicals. But the first brand of decaffeinated instant coffee was called Sanka, and they always made a point of saying that they retained 1% of the caffeine—so you wouldn’t worry about being poisoned by the lye they used to remove the caffeine. :grin:

As for coffee being a religion: Go in peace, my son, the carafe is empty. :cross:

(Omar) #12

OK

I will go in peace

you stick to your relegion :joy:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

:star_and_crescent::peace_symbol: e :star_of_david: i :yin_yang: :cross:

(Omar) #14

all of them the same to me

I respect all of them but I have non

(Robert C) #16

My take on Dr. Fung’s take on coffee/caffeine is that he is all for it if it helps with compliance.
But remember - he advocates good sleep in the Obesity Code as important to allow your hormones to do their best.
So, I am not sure he would be for coffee/caffeine for individuals that do not need it for compliance.

(Mike W.) #17

I also believe it’s how your body handles caffeine. For me it puts me into a fight or flight response. My muscle tense up and I get anxious. I know that when that happens my cortisol is likely through the roof and that’s not good for anybody.

(Not a cow) #18

My Blood glucose rises 6 + points from around 5.5 ( 99) to over 6.0 ( 108) after drinking 1 cup of Maxwell house roasted coffee in the morning. I use to check my blood sugar in the morning after my coffee and before I left for work, and thought I was just suffering from dawn phenomenon but after testing a couple of times this week, I have found my actual waking BG to be quite good. I am going to try some better quality coffee from here on and see what the results look like. I’ll give that fasting tea a chance as well.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Since both readings are well within your monitor’s limit of accuracy, they are essentially the same reading. I wouldn’t worry about it.

On the other hand, if you notice a sharp drop in glucose level, that would indicate a spike in insulin, which would be something to be concerned about. But it’s highly unlikely, because some of the data out there appear to indicate that coffee stimulates ketogenesis, and that would be impossible if it were stimulating insulin secretion, since insulin inhibits ketogenesis.