Does anyone know anybody who has been keto & died from Covid-19?

(GINA ) #82

I don’t know why more people aren’t picking up on the vitamin d connection, or why public health people aren’t recommending supplementation, or at least having doctors screen people for deficiency who are in for visits anyway. We have known for years we have an epidemic of low vitamin d levels, especially in poorer and minority populations- which are the populations hardest hit by covid (for a myriad of reasons, but I think vitamin d is one of them).

Vitamin d is readily available and it is way easier to take a vitamin every morning than go around with a mask all day or skip Thanksgiving with relatives. Suggesting a supplement doesn’t cause ‘personal freedom’ issues or start fights with store managers in Costco or make police chiefs come out against their own governors, you either take the vitamin or you don’t and no one else knows.

I am not suggesting that vitamin d should take the place of masks or distancing, just that there seems to be better evidence for its effectiveness (compared to masks) and less controversy around the implementation, but we are focusing all our efforts on the hardest things to implement. Why not pick off some low-hanging fruit?

(Ethan) #83

I agree. If we were able to get everybody’s vitamin D up and it prevent a significant portion of severe cases and then TREATED hospitalized patients with the fast-acting and bioavailable vitamin D, imagine how many fewer ICU beds would be needed.

(Polly) #84

I am convinced that Vitamin D deficiency is a major cause of poor covid outcomes. However, you might also want to consider whether other environmental factors are also at work in those who react badly to Covid-19 infection.

Zach Bush MD suggests that particulate matter pollution of the air we breathe may play a big role in the way our bodies react to viruses whether the seasonal flu or a novel coronavirus.

This video is worth watching:

Vast swathes of Asia have done remarkably well all things considered.

Not saying yes or no to masks but…vast swathes of Asia are extremely compliant and do exactly what their governments tell them.

Some cultures are just more respectful of others too.

(bulkbiker) #88

Something to do with vitamin D levels maybe…
A generally far healthier less obese population.
Highly likely very little to do with masks.

Agree with the swathes of Asia being extremely compliant too having lived there for a couple of years.

(Ethan) #89

It’s not compliant, but respect for others. The individualist society of the USA (and other places) is offended when a person is asked to sacrifice for the society in something other than war. A persons freedom to say no is the most important thing. In other places, that is shameful to be so self-focused.

(bulkbiker) #90

You’ve obviously never lived in Singapore where individuality of thought was definitely educated out of people by the one party state government.
It was to the extent that they had to be told exactly what to do.
I managed a group of 8 locals in investment banking there were few individual thinkers.
Little to do with respect just complete compliance.

It totally is them being compliant. It may be respect too, which I would like to point out that I also have, but it because they don’t dare do otherwise.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #92

Folks, this discussion is starting to become political. Remember that the deal was, we would allow this COVID forum only on condition that the discussions stay away from politics.

(Jack Bennett) #93

Vietnam has done quite well compared to many wealthier nations.

My wild guesses are as follows:

• more rural “poverty” insulated from processed flours, sugars, and seed oils
  • lots more walking and exercise
  • outdoor work increasing vitamin D levels
  • less common sealed indoor spaces leading to reduced transmission

(GINA ) #94

When I look at a list of ‘deaths per 100k’ I notice that many of the countries at the bottom of the list with lower levels of covid deaths are places with high levels of rural poverty. People probably die all the time without it being recorded with accuracy.

In order to make a comparison of the efficacy of measures between the US or UK or Canada, the other country(ies) would need to have similar systems of levels of testing and record keeping.

You also have to trust the information that is released. A government could be under-reporting to make themselves look better or over-reporting in a bid get foreign aid.

(Joey) #95

Thank you for the link! Now, having read the study, I would have phrased it more like this:

The study found fairly weak evidence that mask wearing further reduces the spread of coronavirus outside in public spaces when coupled with other measures, like social distancing. The results were directionally positive … but not at all compelling (e.g., less than 50% additional benefit).

I fully agree with your point. The results are mixed and uninspiring for public policy purposes. But if it reminds people about social distancing - which is clearly an effective way to reduce passing this respiratory virus around - the mask wearing theater can’t hurt.

How all this squares with cultural resistance many feel about being told where the line should be drawn between individual rights and larger societal needs remains a hot button topic for most Western communities. (Not that the virus gives a crap about such human constructs.)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #96

The CDC classified all deaths that are related to COVID-19 simply as COVID-19 deaths. Even patients dying from other underlying diseases but are infected with COVID-19 count as COVID-19 deaths. This is likely the main explanation as to why COVID-19 deaths drastically increased while deaths by all other diseases experienced a significant decrease.

All of this points to no evidence that COVID-19 created any excess deaths. Total death numbers are not above normal death numbers. We found no evidence to the contrary,” Briand concluded.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #97

COVID™ is a political disease. I think folks have done very well pussy footing around it.

(Doug) #98

:smile: And how in the world is anybody believing this? :wink::grin:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #99

Read the article. Look at the data, Doug.

(Doug) #100

Michael, it’s not “data”. It’s ludicrously false statements. Does anybody seriously think that the U.S. does not have substantial (i.e. it was about 300,000 as of early October) excess deaths this year?

It’s surprising it would appear in that student newsletter, I grant you, but in no way does that negate the outright astounding falseness of it.

(Peter) #101

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: