Does anyone cook beef heart?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Something to look out for is a farm that does meat shares. I don’t think heart is all that popular, so I suspect you wouldn’t have any trouble getting as much as you wanted.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #23

Yeah, I tried that. The only ones around here sell half a cow or nothing and they’re booked several years out. Plus, their meat is about three times the price of what I’m paying now. You’d think Oregon would have better resources, but…

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

Pressure cooking works a treat. I used to just roast it in the oven, but the instantpot makes quicker work of it, and turns out very tender.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #25

I appreciate the recommendation but as a hardcore minimalist, I’m all about less kitchen accoutrements. People are typically shocked when they step inside my house. I hear, “Where is everything?” a lot.

(KCKO, KCFO) #26

Any pressure cooker will do the job well. If you have no kitchen ‘toys’, then roast it at low temp @300 F for 2 hrs. Put moisture, water or stock, in the pan. Should come out just fine.

(Judy Thompson) #27

Got the beef heart 2 days ago, put it in sous vide that night and had some lastnight. Very tender that way. Today I seared some of the sous vide heart in the electric frying pan and it was great that way too. It’s very lean. I read that it’s high in CoQ10 because well, it’s heart.
I’d love some ketchup under other circumstances but I’m only 2 months ZC so those thoughts come up!
A good choice for organ meats.

(Judy Thompson) #28

Funny!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #29

The clod heart came thinly sliced so I broiled the slices for a few minutes each to produce a sort of juicy pink roast beef action. Delish.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

Just so long as they know where to find the bacon! :bacon::bacon::bacon:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #31

Confession time: I haven’t eaten much bacon in years. I like it occasionally in tiny doses but for some reason, the aroma that lingers in my house after cooking it now makes my stomach turn and eating more than a strip nauseates me.

I have no idea what happened, but it happened suddenly. One day, I was mowing down a tray of crispy nectar and the next thing I knew, it was being forcefully evacuated the same way it went down. Depressing.

I know this may cost me my carnivore card, but there it is. Frankly, I’d like to change my screen name if at all possible as this one feels borderline impostrous.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

As you can see, folks, the artist formerly known as baconmecrazy is now known as Aqua_chonk.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #33

Yaaaaaaaay! I’d like to thank everyone who helped me get to where I am today…

@PaulL, you get the only emoji I’ll ever type.

:heart:

(Bob M) #34

This is what my sous vide beef heart looks like.

(Robin) #35

I can’t even……

(Bob M) #36

I thought you carnivores ate nose to tail? :wink:

I think a lot of the nutrients are in the fat, coQ10 for instance. The fat is very hard, unless you use the sous vide.

(Robin) #37

I am a squeamish carnivore. :smirk:

(Bob M) #38

Okay, then close your eyes.

I take the liquid out of the bag, and drink it. Today, in fact. I put it in a jar last night and will drink it at lunch. Umm, cold red “stuff”! :grinning:

(Hat tip to Amber O’Hearn, who recommended this in order to not lose a lot of the nutrients.)

(Judy Thompson) #39

I’m sous viding beef heart every week since your post (that’s 2 weeks, lol). This one was at 135 for 24h as it was in with a chuck roast at that temp. I love this sweet tender meat and the fat’s especially good. I have given the liquid to the puppy since she also enthusiastically shares a little of the heart. But now thanks, I’ll try it.
@robintemplin I have found that any gamey residual taste is neutralized just by salting it.

I made the bigger (still tiny) part of the heart yesterday. Okay, now I have more idea about what @ctviggen talked about :smiley: The big part had the thick hard fat (not very much but it was an impressive layer, pork heart doesn’t have that) - but it was awesome fried, soft but still a tad firm for fat tissue (I am used to pork), I loved it. I never had that texture before and I love new experiences if they aren’t particularly negative ones.
I needn’t to grind anything (I so can’t put it into past tense now… hadn’t to, maybe?), I just fried the heart pieces (the more suspicious parts separately for me and the chewiest bits for the cats) and it went well :slight_smile: And the taste is wonderful, very flavorful. For some reason farm beef costs the same as any other beef here (quite expensive but the cheapest cuts are okay occasionally even for me) but organs are super cheap. I bought turkey today and it was more expensive and turkey is cheap and not nearly as tasty or satiating as beef heart…

Next time I will buy more. How heavy a heart is I wonder… It’s a big animal but the heart isn’t very much compared to body weight, it was visible on my… 1-1.5kg piece I got last time. I probably will say “as much as possible” next time. I don’t want to rob others from the wonderful heart but I clearly see no problem in eating the whole thing eventually (it doesn’t even take a long time, it’s not like liver, I get bored of that easily)…They always butcher only one big animal (they keep fowls and sheeps too but they only sold the latter ONCE. and I loved it. I want it again).

Many carnivores hate organs, it seems.
Maybe personal taste, maybe prejudice… I don’t see the problem with organ, the not taste/work/availability thing, that’s practical and understandable. But not eating it because it’s an organ. Heart is a noble organ, almost full muscle, I don’t get it. I wouldn’t eat eyeballs or testicles (though the big organ eater in the carni thread said it’s good so maybe I would try that) but proper organs, why not? I never touch lungs again, I hate the texture and flavor, ew. But tongue and heart is a muscular tasty thing. Not worse than normal meat and cheaper and more exciting :smiley: A tiny bit of work is needed but it’s fine with me.

Other people beef heart dishes are so different from mine :smiley: My beef heart was in tiny, very dark pieces :slight_smile: Fried in lard, obviously, it’s me. And it didn’t even take a lot of time, amazing (I tend to forget about it for a while though but I always liked very well fried stuff. beef liver is an anomaly but even the heart doesn’t need much despite it’s kinda chewy. not bad chewy that I give up and feed to the cats but nice fun chewy). It’s clearly one of my fav beef items - not like I tried many, the heart was my first time too - and I can say it in general, it’s one of the best meats for me. Pork tongue is still better. Or pork thigh covered with bacon and I don’t even like bacon very much… But that is an awesome combo, I only had it once but it will be a regular dish :wink: Pretty too.