Doctor was so surprised at how much weight I've lost

nsv

(Allan L) #1

Went to see my doc today for my half year checkup. When he walked into the waiting room he looked straight past me whilst calling my name. Only when I stood up did he notice me and you could visibly see the shocked look on his face.

Once we were in his consulting room he had question after question about how I had lost the weight, then he called in some of the nurses I see regularly to come have a look at how well I am doing. I definitely blushed a few times and just smiled.

I didn’t push the high fat subject, just talked about removing processed carbs, eating moderate protein and healthy fats. Told him to google LCHF & keto diet.

(migorstmarseille) #2

That’s fantastic. I visited my GP the other day to follow up on a high diastolic BP which had since come back to normal levels. I’m really happy my doc is good with keto/IF/EF, though he balked a bit when I said I had done a 5 day fast. He’s pretty happy that I’m “owning” my health. I think that’s really an empowering thing about this WOE.

(Brian) #3

I have to wonder how many people really do “own their health”. Seriously, there are an awful lot of people that just go to the doc and let the doc decide what meds will counteract whatever bad behavior they have and just keep on going. Instead of them taking a proactive role in what happens to their health, they take more of a “where ever life goes” attitude and let the doc play “goalie” trying to keep your numbers within something he’s been taught is acceptable.

It may be that some docs feel threatened by people who want to take charge of their own health but it appears that there are a few that will actually encourage someone who’s really willing to do what it takes to be in good health.

And to be fair, it’s not always easy for us mortals. Most everything around us that people look at as wonderful food… French fries, mac & cheese, creamy mashed potatoes, the never-ending pasta bowl, rice pudding, Crispy Creme doughnuts, breads, cakes, and pies, even fresh squeezed apple cider, are pretty much relegated to the “can’t eat that” category. And the TV and the internet make it so easy to just sit around rather than being outside and more active. So doctors have taken on an almost parental role in many situations, mostly because they have to.

I like it that there are more and more docs waking up to the fact that there are some other lifestyles out there (such as keto) that can be healthy, maybe different than they’re used to seeing, but healthy. Glad there are some good examples here. :slight_smile:

(VLC.MD) #4

Smart man.
Well done.