Do you worry about not eating enough vegetables? For health reasons

(Clara Teixeira) #41

Iceberg is extremely affordable here. I can often buy a head for under a dollar. I make edible bowls and wraps with it. It is basically my only bread substitute. Mostly just water contained in large plant cells so I see no harm. :slight_smile: I take encapsulated beef organs for my needed vitamins vs eating dark leafy greens.

(Mike) #42

I like to make grab’n’go salad in a jar. Just put a couple tablespoons of dressing in the bottom of a quart jar (I use 3 but count it as 2 since a lot sticks to the inside of the jar). Put a few hardy veg in the dressing (Broccoli and cauliflower for me) then add the lettuce on top (NO Spinach, it gets slimy) then use a vac seal attachment on the food saver to suck out all the air and it is good for up to 5 days (I prefer 3). When ready to eat just shake up the jar to mix in the dressing and eat (After adding a generous helping of cheese and meat on top of course!)

Mike

edit, Had cornflower instead of cauliflower, musta done too much XNA game design in my youth

What a great idea!

(Mike) #44

It is a great idea, someone else s great idea but great none the less :slight_smile: There are a ton of great food saver ideas on the YouTubes

I feel the same way. The daily salad from the last two years has fallen out of the meal plan for now. For months it had not felt right to keep eating it.

(Roxanne) #46

Iceberg wedges are a great conveyance system for blue cheese dressing and bacon!

(VLC.MD) #47

I just bought my first head of lettuce this week in 20 years. It is a refreshing change. I eat salad every lunch. And probably 10 times a week. You need variety ! Taco salad with iceberg lettuce is so much better.

I also view both as mostly passive vehicles to deliver my other salad veggies and fatty dressing. Provides some bulk and I like it.

Anyone know the details of what is higher in romaine vs iceberg ? Is it significant ?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

Bleu cheese!! BACON!!! :bacon::bacon:

(I’m reclassifying them as vegetables. In fact, bacon belongs to all food groups!)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #49

As I understand it, romaine actually contains things like calcium and potassium, whereas iceberg is basically water and cellulose and hardly anything else.

(MooBoom) #50

Oh my no! No shells :wink:
They are sometimes called pepitas if that helps you find them at the shops.

(Ernest) #51

NOPE! Not one bit

(KCKO, KCFO) #52

Made me look, as per the USDA standard food database here is a side by side of iceburg vs romaine(cos) lettuces. This is good to know, there was a surprise or two in here, romaine is more nutrient dense.

Iceburg	            Romine,Cos Lettuce

Nutrient Unit Value per 100 g Value per 100 g

Water g 95.64 94.61
Energy kcal 14 17
Protein g 0.9 1.23
Total lipid (fat) g 0.14 0.3
Carbohydrate, g 2.97 3.29
Fiber, t.dietary g 1.2 2.1
Sugars, total g 1.97 1.19

Minerals
Calcium, Ca mg 18 33
Iron, Fe mg 0.41 0.97
Magnesium, mg 7 14
Phosphorus, mg 20 30
Potassium, mg 141 247
Sodium, mg 10 8
Zinc, mg 0.15 0.23

Vitamins
Vitamin C, mg 2.8 4
Thiamin mg 0.041 0.072
Riboflavin mg 0.025 0.067
Niacin mg 0.123 0.313
Vitamin B-6mg 0.042 0.074
Folate, DFE 29 136
Vitamin B-12 0 0
Vitamin A, RAE 25 436
Vitamin A, IU 502 8710
Vitamin E mg 0.18 0.13
Vitamin D (D2 + D3) 0 0
Vitamin D IU 0 0
Vitamin K (phylloquinone)24.1 102.5
Lipids
Fatty acids, total saturated g 0.018 0.039
Fatty acids, total monounsaturated g 0.006 0.012
Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated g 0.074 0.16
Fatty acids, total trans g 0 0
Cholesterol mg 0 0
Amino Acids
Other
Caffeine mg 0 0

(Chris) #53

Check this one out, he includes a few sources in the video notes too. Paper values vs. bioavailability.

Around the 2 minute mark there’s a frightening comment regarding green vegetables and calcium absorption.

Now the video may raise more questions than it answers but actually as far as we crazy keto (the dietary black sheep of the world) are concerned that’s probably a good thing.

(Carpe salata!) #54

I didn’t check the video but digestion of grain and sugar will result in an acid which needs to be neutralised and the easiest way is with bone minerals. These then need to be replaced by eating green veg and dairy.

With low carb, the problem is dealt with at the source :slight_smile:

I eat for crunch and prefer it for things like tacos