Do you worry about not eating enough vegetables? For health reasons

(Tim W) #21

I don’t worry about eating “enough” but I eat them as much/when I want. I enjoy a nice big salad or a nice veggie stir-fry, lots of fat incorporated in some manner and eggs/meat in large portions.

Dr. Rhonda Patrick does a lot of work on how some veggies may have anti-aging properties and how they might turn some genes on, some genes off, and impact telomeres. Since I enjoy eating the veggies she discusses (broccoli/kale/avocado/etc) I eat them almost daily and hopefully kill two birds with one stone, getting nutrition in a manner/level that MAY extend my life and enjoying the flavors/textures etc.

I don’t think I’d force myself to eat any veggie if I didn’t like the flavor/texture etc. BUT, I have found that as I’ve aged, I enjoy them more and that I enjoy them even MORE when lightly sauteed in bacon grease etc.

(KCKO, KCFO) #22

I eat more veggies now than when I was on a 40/30/30 diet. They are primarily green veggies. Before I was doing too much potatoes, corn, etc. They are veggies you know, so I just skip those.

I have always loved greens, I grew up in NE TX so greens were readily available. I do cauliflower and broccoli and all my “pasta” dishes include some kind of squash these days. I think I am getting plenty of vitamins, etc. from my diet.

I regularly eat salads that include a mix of veggies and proteins, like steak salad, ham, Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato salad, Chicken salad and tuna salad. I also love stir fries with lots of greens and some of the higher carbed veggies like cauliflower and broccoli and the occasional carrot for more color. Onions and carrots are the only underground veggies I touch now. Onion for flavoring so not too much and carrots for some color, most of the sugar is stored in the center piece of the carrot, so I often shave off the outlayer to keep the carbs low.

(Sondra Rose) #23

The idea that vegetables (and fruits) are good for you is mostly propaganda. Some folk tolerate them better than others.

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2012/03/five-a-day-the-truth/

Hey Regina- I’m curious when you do a 20gm carb meal do “feel it”. Like do you get groggy or lose your keto clarity or any stuff like that. How long have you been Keto? Do you think the longer someone is in Keto- the easier they can tolerate these minor carb loads.

I’m relatively new to Keto. In the beginning, I was feeling great at 20gm carb/day. I was getting almost all my carbs with a salad at lunch. I noticed, however, I was getting a bit tired in the afternoon; but not after my other meals. Then after seeing/hearing what other people were doing- I gave up the salads/carbs and then the lunch altogether. I’m still surprised, I feel the best this way.

I pose the question because I’m wondering if as I become more/longer adapted- I may be able to have a salad or minor carb load with a specific meal and not really feel it much.

Thanks!:grinning:

(Regina M.) #25

I’ve never had that problem. Everyone is different. There are apparently people who can maintain ketosis at 50 or 100g carbs a day. I’m not one of them. You have to do what works for you.

I have only been on keto since February, but I have been on the weight loss merry-go-round before. About 15 years ago I lost 160 pounds with calorie restriction and intense exercise and then gained it back. This time I decided that I would not do anything to lose the weight that I would not be willing to do for the rest of my life. I’m not willing to live without vegetables.

Ok. Tx! :grinning:

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

(Sarah Herlihy) #27

So interesting folks. I crave veggies and only stick to low carb ones but i am feeling a little better about the health aspect. Always though and i teach my kids ‘you must eat your veggies’.

(Carpe salata!) #28

I found that when I was eating carbs, I had to eat veggies as well or else I would get sick with headaches, joint pain, lethargy etc. Then I realised it was the carbs (grains and sugar) that was actually causing all that . Since keto, I don’t need the veggies to feel well although I still eat them but not so obsessively.

(Karen Parrott) #29

If I don’t eat enough veggies, I lose my intestinal mucosa. :weary: So I eat 27 or > grams total a day. Net runs 23-30 or so. I stay Keto due to 12:12 or 17:7 fasting. Weight maintenance after large loss. I know I need to maintain my intestinal health, so I listen to what my body has to say.

Here’s an eye-opening article about veggies from the Weston A. Price foundation. https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/vegetarianism-and-plant-foods/plants-bite-back/

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Wow! That article makes me wonder why I should ever eat another plant food again! Scary!

(Allan L) #32

I have the exact same problem, especially after ending a fast. I have to eat a nice green leafy salad with lots of tomato etc or I suffer from intestinal issues. I also crave veggies for the first time in my life since starting Keto 3 months ago.

Some people are more equipped to process plant foods. I wish I were one of them. The only plant that doesn’t give me digestive issues is cucumber, preferably peeled.

(Ross) #34

I can’t imagine eating that much volume in veggies. I tend to eat 1 meal per day plus a small evening snack. I tend to get one serving of either cooked mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and some carrots) with butter, a few berries (tends to be strawberries or blueberries or black raspberries depending on the time of year) or kimchi (my gut likes the fermented stuff). Not sure how I’d ever get in 5 servings a day when I tend to only eat one full meal a day!

I haven’t really worried that much…since I feel so freaking good…but yes I have wondered from time to time.

@SondraRose & @MelTar, thanks for the very informative links! The longer I do Banting/Keto, the more I come to think that the majority of mainstream dietary & exercise “science” is really just pseudoscience and marketing.

(Clara Teixeira) #35

My fear of eating less veggies pretty much completely disappeared after reading Dr. Georgia Ede’s articles, listening to her on podcasts, and watching her on Youtube. I eat a bit of iceberg lettuce, some tomato, and well cooked summer squashes. I expected to feel worse when cutting out the majority of keto approved veggies but noticeably feel much better! Things like broccoli have always caused terrible digestive upset for me.

(VLC.MD) #36

Wow. You are genius.

Pumpkin seeds with the shells on ?

(KCKO, KCFO) #37

Does anyone really eat iceburg lettuce any more? It is the least nutritional of all the lettuces.

Romaine rules in my fridge (fav wrapper for all kinds of things), butter lettuce keeps it company and my garden provides bits of all the other lettuces.

(Allan L) #38

Can work as a great substitute for a bun at a burger restaurant when its the only option.

(Siobhan) #39

Most days I just eat chicken or sausage with melted kerrygold butter and some cream or cheese.
My metabolic markers are all great, I felt the best I ever have, etc

You might be interested in Amber’s talk from ketofest, it should be up on youtube. She has been carnivore for a loong time and is thriving on it
She is a big reason I stopped caring about veg and just eat what I want (minus carbs) which is typically meat and fat nowadays

@amber

(Carpe salata!) #40

I like iceberg. It has a good crunch and a light flavour. I use lots of fresh ground pepper for my minerals.