Do you use a mobile phone?

I’m not sure if this is the place to ask but I’d thought it would be an interesting topic since I haven’t been on this earth that long.

I’ve been thinking about buying a simple phone or do away with a mobile phone completely and get a home phone but what I’m wondering.

How was life before mobile phones were around? How did people contact each other? Leave voice messages and call back?

Did you use a mobile phone in the past and presently don’t use one? How was the change?

Please feel free to share as much as you’d like.

(Laurie) #2

People would leave messages and call each other back later. This sometimes resulted in “phone tag.”

Before that, there were no answering machines, and you just called and hoped someone was home. Or you’d prearrange a time to call, e.g., “I get home from work at 6, so you can call me any time after that.” Or, “I’ll call you at 10 o’clock on Saturday morning.” It was normal and we were used to it.

I have a mobile phone now, but it’s mainly for Internet and the occasional text. I detest talking on the phone. I make one or two calls a year, to the bank or the government. My ringer is turned off, and I don’t answer the phone or listen to messages; I figure anyone who calls my phone is a telemarketer.

I have a separate number for voicemails only; I give that number out on a need-to-know basis (government, etc.). It might be hours before I am aware that I have a message. This works fine for me.

You might have something else in mind. I just mention what I do to show that it is possible to live without being constantly and instantly available to everyone via phone.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Since the topic of cell phones is completely irrelevant to the purpose of this site, I see no point to continuing this thread.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) closed #4