Do you guys always buy oil in dark bottle?

So basically I got a bottle of avocado oil from Kevala
And Noticed that the bottle is white plastic, So I emailed them to ask if the bottle is not gonna be a problem for oxidation(Since I know the brand makes legit product)
And they say as long as I keep the bottle away from sunlight It will be fine
I was always told to buy oil in dark bottle, So Idk, Any opinion?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The seed oils are sold in clear bottles in the U.S., and they are far more vulnerable to oxidation than avocado or olive oil.

How about a compromise? Keep the bottle in a cupboard when it’s not in use, and don’t worry about it too much.

Another alternative would be to cook with animal fats: butter, bacon grease, lard, or tallow.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #3

For years I brewed beer, I know that oxidises very quickly in a clear bottle.
Even bottled water shouldn’t be kept in the light I’ve heard, though that’s not because of oxidisation.
Store oil in cupboard as said.
Funny, I don’t buy much oil since starting low carb. Love butter :blush:

(KM) #4

White, or clear? I think the issue is sunlight, which probably wouldn’t be an issue if it’s an opaque white bottle.

As long as it’s kept out of the sun it doesn’t matter, but looking into Kevala looks like they do a lot in commercial sized stuff, so makes sense that it’s not in smaller darker containers.

I always used to buy EV olive oil in dark glass, to prevent deterioration.

I have been thinking about this same question recently because I had been using MCT oil (made from coconut) which is in a clear glass bottle.
Advised by my keto aware dietician, I was having a tsp before every cup of coffee.

It is in a clear glass bottle but it was from the cooking oil section of a a large supermarket, not the health food store which has MCT oils with different numbers in dark glass. I have been wondering if MCT oils are more stable and less likely to deteriorate and that is why this one isn’t in dark glass.

I am prescribed CBD oil, which works for me for reducing pain and it comes in a small bottle that is white some-kind-of-hard-plastic, which I assume is pharmaceutical grade.

(Bob M) #7

Since MCT oils are 100% (or close to it) saturated fat, I assume they are more stable than any other oil.