Do we need to protect the Anova from water vapor?

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #1

I just got an Anova, and I remember reading in the Amazon reviews people complaining that their Anova broke down because of water damage and the company responding by saying that the device is not built to handle excessive water vapor.

Is this true? And, if so, in light of this, is it inadvisable to put the Anova in an open pot? Meaning, do you guys all have a lid with a cutout for the Anova in order to protect it from evaporation?

(Mike W.) #2

I have two setups. One 10 qt stockpot that I use most of the time. Quick cooks : steaks, chicken, burgers. Or this cooler setup for longer/larger cooks : brisket, pulled pork, ribs. I’ve never even seen steam on my Anova. I think the issue is when you cover the unit and all in cling film.

(matt ) #3

I have used open and closed containers and have no issues. I do take it apart and let it dry before I put it away.

(Crippie) #4

i have a pot I use for short cooks. And then a Rubbermaid tub with a special made lid for long cooks, I got it to avoid having to constantly fill it over days as it evaporates, but it protects it from water vapor as well.

Here is the lid on amazon, the tub is down in the “frequently bought together” section

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L6PRY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Crippie) #5

That is a sweet looking set up!

I may need to get a cooler and fit it up like that. I am thinking of doing a long slow cook of a prime rib for Christmas, but depending on the number of people coming it may be too big for my current set up!

(Mike W.) #6

I used a hole saw to cut it slightly bigger than the metal sleeve. Then I saw somebody post that the foam donut that goes in between the toilet tank and the stool is the perfect size. You can find them at Home Depot in the toilet repair section for a couple bucks.

(matt ) #7

Now watch someone grab a wax ring by accident and make a total mess of things. :wink:

(Peter Demarest) #8

I use one of those clear Cambro containers that I’ll cover with a sheet of aluminum foil. One time on a longer cook, the Anova started beeping and shut off due to some condensation. Since then I’ll usually wrap a washcloth around the tube above the foil to catch any condensation. Haven’t had any problems since I started doing that.