Do not eat Romaine lettuce (again...)

(Jane) #41

That’s almost as bad as my husband and I splitting our $160 apple last month!

Three years and 4 apple trees later (@ $40 each) we had ONE APPLE to split. Last year we had 3 and one of the sneaky critters got them. This year we also had 3 and I tied bird netting around then but they still got 2 of the 3. Must be raccoons to be able to untie it. Next year I will be Ft Knoxing them!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #42

We once had a cherry tree that produced three cherries the second year. And then there was the avocado tree that produced ONE avocado in five years. Now we have a papaya that is going to produce about 20 fruit at the same time. Nothing better for the skin than papaya!

(Brian) #43

Fruit trees can be frustrating. They are often fussy about being sprayed with just the right stuff for just the right bugs n diseases at just the right time, being pruned just so, having their fruit picked off and not allowed to develop for so many years while it’s establishing itself, having the fruit thinned after it does come to age so that it doesn’t start breaking branches with the weight of the fruit, being fertilized just so, or about the time you think it may be ready to actually do something, just up and die. UUGGHH!!! Well, I might be exaggerating… a little… or not.

I planted some blueberry bushes this year thinking that it would be nice to have a few. I was hoping they’d thrive. They’ve survived, but barely, despite nearly heroic efforts at making sure they had ample room for their root systems and soil amendments to give them every advantage. We’ll see what next year brings. If they survive the winter, maybe…

The best luck I had was a bed of asparagus. I planted a bunch of roots this spring. The things looked just about dead but I figured, I bought ‘em, I’m plantin’ 'em. Wouldn’t ya know it every single one of those little buggers came up. And they love grass clippings. I know it’ll only be their second year next year but I think I’m gonna try to harvest just a little in the spring. Seriously, a few of those first year sprigs were nearly the size of a Christmas tree just a few weeks ago.

I still do have in mind to maybe plant a few fruit trees around the place, more for a little novelty than for actual fruit production. For actual food, I’m thinking more along the lines of a few more blueberry bushes, some raspberries, some blackberries, some elderberries, and maybe a patch of strawberries. All but the last should be around for quite a while if I can just get them established.

Wish I had some pecan trees but I don’t. And I don’t know if I want to plant them in hopes of them actually coming into any kind of production before I’m too old to care. There are some black walnut trees growing wild around the area, I could easily find some of them to pick up. But right here at home, we do have hickory nuts. They’re small and a pain to shell out. But they’re here already. Dunno, maybe I’ll figure a way to shell out enough of them to be useful at some point.

About the only other thing close by is a cluster of persimmon trees. Thought about trying to make some sugar-free, keto-friendly persimmon jelly but got busy with other things and it never happened. Maybe next year I’ll try. If they’re as loaded then as they were this year, a couple of bushels of the things would be entirely possible.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #44

Home Depot still sells trees that have no chance of growing here. Like the cherry trees I mentioned. You need a lot of frost. Avocado should grow here (we are trying again) but apparently you need two trees. Apricot thrive - (we are in So Cal inland.) Lemons, well, all over the place. Pomegranates also, but what a mess.

(KCKO, KCFO) #45

Grow raspberry bushes instead of trees, way more fruit. Freeze the excess for the winter. Keto fruit and who doesn’t love’m.

(Carl Keller) #46

I guess for me, the lettuce is a vehicle for my avocado, olives, sunflower seeds, asiago cheese and caesar dressing to ride on. I could eat all of the other stuff without the lettuce, but it would be weird.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #47

You know, what I really mind is that I had just bought a head of lettuce grown by some French aristocrats. It was the noblest Romaine of them all. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

It’s to keep the blue cheese from mixing with the cheddar in the cauliflower cheese sauce, of course! :bacon:

(Carl Keller) #49

I once ate some cheese made by french aristocrat chemist… it gave me noble gases. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #50

You guys are way too coo! Thoroughly enjoying my thread!

(KCKO, KCFO) #51

I use it as a sub for bread on hamburgers and things like tuna salad. What Hcarbers would put between bread slices, I use things like large romaine leaves. Thus our yard’s salad garden we grow now.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #52

Eating Romaine and getting salmonellosis: Lettuce spray!

(Been there, done that, and had to pray real hard to get through it!)

(KCKO, KCFO) #53

In case you haven’t heard on November 26, 2018, the CDC and the FDA issued a revised food safety alert narrowing its warning to consumers: only romaine from the Central Coastal growing regions of northern and central California should not be consumed.

Our Costco did not have romaine in the produce dept. This is why.

If you know your source, you can resume eating romaine now.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #54

Thanks for the update! I had not heard.

(Mike W.) #55

So much salad getting tossed…

Thank you so much for sharing this cause I don’t have a TV and I don’t read much news and I do love romaine!
Fortunately I do not have any and have not bought it for about 2 weeks.
I live in northern California and all our romain comes from this area of infection. Thank you thank you thank you. :leafy_green:
Pray for lettuce to heal !!! ROMAINE CALM !

(Steve) #57

I just wish we had an ETA on when mixed greens are going to be available again - the bulk salad shelves are either empty or full of baby spinach (don’t get me wrong - baby spinach is good…but having a variety of greens is better).
Didn’t even realize that there was any romaine in the mixed salads I was buying until this recall (as most of the contents are nice, dark, healthy leaves.

…as to why eat salads? Those of us healing our fatty livers - healthy greens help to clean them out. (that and fasting of course) :slight_smile:

You can’t trust brands either - Dole (for example) produces several different brands of salad for several different grocery chains. They also had a Listeria recall for salads back in August.

Guessing the e-coli problem is likely contaminated groundwater (irresponsible swine production is often the cause).

A shame they don’t label produce (consistently) with what region it’s from…just having a “Product of USA” label on it isn’t very useful in situations such as this.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #58

I noticed that too, our shelves look empty. I grabbed a lone box of spinach without checking the date (figuring I would eat it in two days). When I got it home, the “enjoy by” date was a week past. This from a major grocery chain,

(Janelle) #59

We never eat at TGI Friday’s but the day we left for Greece (last Sunday) it was the only thing in our terminal. No salads - nothing. The guy wasn’t even sure they had cabbage. There are other types of lettuce after all. The Greeks probably think we’re crazy.

(KCKO, KCFO) #60

I got the info from Panera Bread, I’m on their mailing list. I had not seen anything on our local news about the update. Since Panera had stopped selling salads, I trust them to be up to date of this information. Salads are a HUGE part of their business and not having them hurts the bottom line.