Do I HAVE to eat my veggis?

I notice there are no comments about the authority-nutrition article on dogma in low-carb communities. Is that one okay then?

(matt ) #53

This is not a medical board…we are not doctors. Those are not the standards we need to live up to. I have been in the group for quite a while and if/when someone posts a dangerous suggestion or psuedo-medical advice it is very quickly addressed.

(matt ) #54

I doubt it but let me go look at it.

(matt ) #55

Yeah it’s not a very good article either.

For example this is trash. I don’t care what the word “sugar” implies. A sugar is a sugar. All carbs are turned into sugar.

1. All Carbohydrates Are Sugar

Glass Full Of Sugar Cubes

Saying that all carbs are broken down into “sugar” is true, but misleading.

Technically, the word “sugar” includes various simple sugars like glucose, fructose and galactose.

Yes, starches like grains and potatoes do get broken down into glucose in the digestive tract, which raises blood sugar levels.

To a diabetic, it is true that starches turn into “sugar” and raise the “sugars” in the blood.

But to other people, who are not chemists, the word “sugar” implies the white, unhealthy granular stuff… sucrose.

Telling people that “all carbs turn into sugar” is misleading. It makes people think that there is no difference between a potato and a candy bar.

Whereas table sugar contains half glucose, half fructose, starch is only glucose. It is the fructose portion of sugar that is the most harmful, starch (glucose) does NOT have the same effect (7, 8).

Trying to mislead people into believing that starches are equivalent to sugar/HFCS is dishonest.

Thanks for declaring your advance bias.

I disagree with this. I’ve seen many extreme recommendations, such as in this very thread. The question was “Do I have to eat my veggies?” Answers I saw were “No.” and “when you eat meat you are getting the benefit of the vegetables that the animal ate.”

These are comments I would like to see tempered a bit as they might make someone sick. It’s not fear-mongering. It’s a real possibility.

(matt ) #57

Even funnier is they demonize fructose in that comment and then defend fruits which are fructose in another comment.

(matt ) #58

Pete you didn’t post a single widescale scientific study…you posted 3 trash articles that are designed to generate traffic. So after seeing the first 2 I was totally OK assuming the 3rd was also junk. And it was.

I’m noticing a pattern here of you rejecting whole ideas when you find part you disagree with. That is a compositional fallacy. The article makes good points.

(matt ) #60

I’m just going to leave it at this. You seem to have an agenda and you also seem to only want to talk about things that are safe for everyone. I wish you the best of luck with that.

The authority nutrition article is not trash. that’s misrepresentation. I posted 3 scientific links in the previous thread. I’ll see if I can find it.

What are you talking about? I stated my agenda up front. Yes I have an agenda. It is to stop people flippantly recommending zero-carb. I couldn’t be more transparent in stating my purpose.

(matt ) #63

Logical fallacy time? Oh boy. I’m out.

Anyone embarking on a new eating plan should get a check up with their GP first and ideally some blood tests to check their current state of health. That is common sense.

People will always recommend something they have had great success with themselves. That is human nature just as it is to disagree. My advice is to choose better articles to lead your deep and meaningfuls with than the DM and the Telegraph. If you had actually used something relevant and thought provoking you might be taken more seriously.

(matt ) #65

Thanks @daisy. Those were the words I should have used.

As mentioned. I already posted several articles on this topic. Here’s the thread. FB Debate about Carbohydrates

And here’s the links. There’s plenty more. There’s a tome of articles on the NCBI database on the importance of plant fiber for the gut microbiome. The evidence since 2010 is overwhelming.

http://library.med.utah.edu/NetBiochem/nutrition/lect1/2_1.html

https://chriskresser.com/myths-and-truths-about-fiber/

I’m not saying it’s an open and shut case. I’m saying there’s so much evidence that it’s irresponsible to not mention it to a newbie who is asking is it okay to just skip veggies altogether.

I have used all manner of sources on this and I have received hostility, name-calling and uncensored swearing every time regardless of quality of sources. Fair enough I didn’t lead with great articles this time. I’ve amended that above. Please stop attacking me. I have a fair point that I have done my best to elucidate clearly. I think I did a pretty good job, but in any case I did my best. If you would focus on addressing my points I’d appreciate it.

(bulkbiker) #68

And? Low carb will help both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics… zero carb maybe even more… although I will agree that the jury is out on that one… I can’t see why you are so ardently opposed to people eating they way they want to.
Ok you don’t think that zero carb is a good idea that’s your opinion but you have stated it many times and there will never be any proof one way or the other so you have made your point. It seems you are now simply arguing for the sake of it.
As I said on a previous post until you have large groups of people locked up and fed exactly prescribed diets (which ain’t ever gonna happen) you won’t get any definitive answers so however many studies you link to they will all be fundamentally flawed. A lot of people have good results eating zero carb why do you get so wound up about it?
Do you have some ulterior motive that you haven’t made clear.

(Nick) #69

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Give it a rest.

(Nick) #70

You have no point that stands. You’re hypothesising that a species which evolved for millennia with nary an edible carb, and made it through a number of evolutionary funnels sans even the possibility of exogenous glucose, has suddenly mutated into one that needs this capricious and rare ingredient.

I have isotope analysis of our ancestors’ diet, the substantial shortening of our guts, the evolution of a fatty brain which demands a quality diet, and the full context of our ice-age evolution as my hand. And yours? Some tendetious anecdotes, a strange asceticism and the desire to scare people who are healing their metabolisms.

(Cocker) #71

Glad to hear that people are thriving without veg. I like some fruits but veg has always seemed like a huge effort (at best) or repellent (at worst)…

…you hear so much about how they’re super important, so there’s the mild guilt whenever I walk past the produce section at the supermarket…at the same time though, part of me wonders “surely if my body wanted it then it would be at least somewhat attractive”…