Do eggs/cheese make anyone else hungry(er)?

I’ve noticed that eating eggs (any style) and cheese, either together or alone, results in me being rather hungry an hour or so later. Does this happen to anyone else? Any idea what mechanism is happening here? Psyochological? Not enough fat? Effect of protein(s)?

Maybe mix the 2 of them (in smaller proportions) with some meat and stir fried cruciferous veg and mushrooms?

Works for me, for OMAD. Not every day though.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

I do notice that it takes quite a few eggs to make a satisfying meal. I need at least three, along with bacon or other meat, to have a truly filling meal. For me, however, cheese helps relieve hunger. In fact, for me, on the rare occasions when I need a snack these days, cheese is quite satisfying.

I’ve also noticed in myself something I read on these forums, which is that sometimes when I believe myself to be hungry, I am really thirsty, and a drink of water or a cup of coffee or tea takes care of everything.

I’ve found a couple of pickled silverskin onions with cheese, sometimes ham as well/or else, can satisfy a craving and going for a full scale meal.

But sometimes I end up drinking the vinegar…

(Bob M) #5

I’ve been making 6 egg omelettes lately. Like you, I think 3 is not enough.

Egg was my most satiating item on vegetarian keto… Now meat wins (except chicken. that has close to zero satiation level to me, it’s so very odd… I eat 1 kg chicken, still hungry. I suspect other fowls aren’t great either but couldn’t test it yet).
But it’s me, some people get satiated by fruits (they are SUPER good at making me hungry, at least it was the case in the past) :smiley: I realized after many years of reading about it that satiation is extremely individual.

So, eggs satiate me but a proper meal still needs more than 10 eggs (unless Super Easy Satiation kicks in, I need to be close to carnivore for it I think) due to the calorie content. Satiating or not, I need my calories for satiation, it’s highest for my first meal. 10 eggs is a very small lunch in my world, possible with the mentioned Super Easy Satiation but usually I stay hungry. But I eat some meat too and it’s almost as good as eating the same macros using meat. As far as I can tell, I never could eat only eggs as I rarely can go over 10 and usually would need 20 or something for a really proper meal (when I need that, not having the unusually easy satiation)… A small meal (1000 kcal) inevitably ends up getting hungry in 1-2 hours, maybe 3 even if I actually can eat so little for my first meal.

I never ate much cheese at once but I noticed it’s not so good for satiation.

Regarding cheese (or even eggs considering pork is more satiating), it’s definitely not the fat content as meat with the same ratio works much better. It’s pretty physical in my case.
So… It’s something with the item itself, probably protein and fat combined. Fattier pork satiates me less than somewhat leaner cuts (I can’t go too lean or else I can’t get my calories).

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

I usually include bacon or ham and sometimes wild smoked salmon with 2 eggs and cheese. I don’t eat breakfast often but when I do it is something along these lines, I can go to mid afternoon.

If I have any carbs with that tho’, I get hungry within a couple of hours.

yea me too

eggs are not heavy hitters.
cheese can cause ‘more cravings’ and hunger as we know dairy is a PIA for those of us who handle dairy in our lives so we gotta know how dairy does effect us.

eat a steak. first meal. Steak and eggs and see real fast this trumps any issues :slight_smile:

it is your body saying this is sub par intake and wants more.

pair eggs all the time with BIG meat intake. Pork sausages if you eat them. A steak or burgers or a heck of alot of bacon. Then eggs ‘do their thing’ as a great side dish but for most, eggs are never ever a ‘meal’ to make us happy.

some do well on a few eggs, from all the yrs on boards many just make eggs a condiment side to big good ol’ fatty meat intake also to ‘even it out’ to make us full, fed well, happy and more.

well it went down for me like that. eggs became useless truly to me.

might be that way for you too.

Eggs and meat is a good combo for many of us I am sure. Nowadays I typically eat eggs with meat and meat with eggs, not always but often :smiley: It’s partially due to my typical mealsize but they are really fun together…
Even not satiating meats work pretty well with satiating meat as far as I know (for me, at least). It’s just different when eaten together. It’s not that great with really not satiating items like added fat, that just adds calories without satiating me even if I eat it together with really good stuff.

I personally tend to get similar amount of calories from my eggs and meat (and some from dairy) *(but it varies). Today it was like that, more protein from meat, more fat from eggs (and dairy) even though I had bacon too… We will see if this is a good idea longer term. I think so as long as I keep my number of meals low.

So it’s complex. We need a certain amount of protein, fat, calories… Even with very little carbs, the ratio and type of fat and protein easily matter a lot… We aren’t even robots, some of us have very different days and we need different things and different size of meal to get satiated…

(Marianne) #10

Yes, I have experienced this, however in my case, I believe it’s because I don’t either one to satiety. For some reason, I don’t want to make a “meal” out of eggs and if I make them, the most I do is four (and one is for the dogs). I find afterward, I could eat more or something else to satisfy my hunger. I love cheese but limit the amount I eat at a given time because I’d have to eat a huge quantity of it to be satiated. I figure eating meat is a better way to get that amount of fat.

It’s probably way easier for most of us. Maybe protein too. I just can’t get more than 60g protein from eggs in one sitting (even that is rare) and maybe 10 from my dairy? Meat is different but meat AND eggs? I can do OMAD like that sometimes and don’t even get bored!

(Bob M) #12

A large egg only has 72 calories:

Three eggs is only about 210 calories, which is nothing, really. That’s why I eat at least 6, along with meat. (But I’m eating two meals a day, so trying to hit a good amount of calories in each meal.)

As for dairy, I’m in the group that has basically zero issues with dairy. Just drank about 6 ounces of raw milk from Jersey cows.

Lactose is interesting… I think I feel some nudge from my body but when I drank 1 liter milk in a few hours, I was fine (probably the same amount of nudge than when I drink 1/20th of it)… So odd.
Cheese never does anything, I typically eat ones with 0 carb.

My eggs probably are 80kcal each, the normal sized ones (I have smaller and bigger ones alike but this is the most common size. I don’t care the Internet calls that extra large when the vast majority of the eggs I buy are that size).

(Shawn Patrick Malone) #14

Same here. I’m usually hungry 1-1.5 hours later. I may even have six eggs with cheese and bacon, for whatever reason I’m still hungry rather quickly.

eggs are not a nutrient dense, all over better protein in any way.
red meat trumps that first point blank then ya got the other heavy hitters like pork and into fowl and seafood etc. Eggs while great are not even a ‘real food’ from a survival standpoint, it can be a wonderful found food and live a tad longer and will keep one alive a day longer maybe, but won’t ever give you want nutrients and fat content ever come from ‘real meat’ options first. eggs are fine in our ‘little now world’ and fine as an option for survival cause if it is all one can find and give ya some good protein etc…but in the bitter end, not being a nutrient DENSE food option to rely on them as some kinda miracle chow is not warranted…but hey some might just do fine on 3-4 eggs and a bit of whatever and function, but they are also eating other things in their day so when ya think, eggs still are just that ‘side item’ kinda food and that is where it should stay kinda when we think ‘real dense nutrient animal proteins’ for us —when you read what people eat, most are never using eggs as some type of ‘cement us on a high dense protein’ food ever. we are eating meats with eggs on the side mostly.

think long ago, a few tiny eggs found in a nest would give ya, say maybe 150 kcals and some food but ain’t no one gonna survive on them unless one has an infinite nesting sight of bigger fowl like geese etc in clusters to ‘have a decent meal’ so they are an advantagous find to eat but ‘in a store bought carton to eat’ as we do now, they still won’t ever pack a fab punch that animal meats will give one.

so again, determine you on them and see how it goes.

(Alex) #16

I eat 4 eggs per day, sometimes 3 and I eat either blue cheese, cheddar or Greek feta cheese and those keep me satisfied.
One strange side effect of being in keto now almost a month is that my hunger levels have dropped significantly which I find surprising (in a good way). Many times I’m not hungry 24 hours later, I eat once a day.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

This is the reason we advise eating to satiety, not to a pre-deternined number of calories.

Eggs are extremely nutritious (it doesn’t have everything, meat beats it but eggs are still great. only a few things are missing or aren’t in proper amounts! but I get most of my essential nutrients from eggs if I eat enough) and I totally based my diet on them for very long. Now it’s half eggs, half meat, sometimes eggs are more prominent, sometimes meat. Works well.
(Eggs are definitely more important to me than meat but I woul;d have problems without meat too, now. Of course my vegetarian keto was egg-based and I felt pretty okay apart from what came from eating too much carbs. And now I can’t test a lower-carb vegetarian keto as I find meat way too convenient and nice :smiley: Maybe for 1-2 days? I love experiments.)

Even saying all this, I am not into eggs lately but this thread made me wanting to eat more eggs again. Today I will try that. Shouldn’t be too hard though I have pork roast and that’s high level of temptation… But I should be able to resist after jumping it at 1am last night… Stupid low-meat times have that effect on me sometimes…

By the way. I still say egg being satiating doesn’t mean we eat a few and long term satiation will follow. It just mean to me that I don’t need overeating to get satiated all day when I include many eggs. It’s very normal for me to get hungry in 1-2 hours after my first meal if it’s smallish (not 10 eggs small, bigger but only 1.5 times more?)

I think I need experiments… It’s just hard for me to eat egg only or meal only first meals. I love to combine them.

(Bob M) #19

Right now, we have a ton of eggs. I am going to make something (an egg casserole?) so that I can have them for lunch. I typically eat a cold lunch, but can microwave food.

I was thinking something like ground beef (cooked), then 1-2 dozen eggs, maybe with cheese and herbs, cooked in the oven? We have a ton of herbs, so fresh basil could work.

Anyone have any ideas? I’d like meat + eggs. If using cheese, I prefer to use not that much. And not much added fat. Think a little butter, but not sticks of butter.

(Diana) #20

I love this recipe. I know you don’t want this much butter so you can cut it, but replace any cutout butter with some liquid (either cream, water or milk) as this will give it a soft soufflé texture. Add in the herbs and meat you want to it, used to make this all the time before I cut out cheese.