DIY sour cream (technically creme fraiche) ;)

(Roxanne) #21

Seriously addicted to making my own now - 2 litres at a time, then individually portioned. Add berries = bliss!

(Teri Broderick Farlow) #22

Do you add water when you make it in the instant pot? I want to try it

(Roxanne) #23

I did use water in the instant pot, about a cup I think, but if youā€™ll look farther down the thread, youā€™ll see that Iā€™ve changed my methods and now use my sous vide circulator and I get much more consistent results. Frankly, if you have a warm enough room (I set my sous vide to 80F), you could probably just leave it on the counter. I also save one container of each batch to innoculate the next one, and that may have also contributed to the better results.

(Teri Broderick Farlow) #24

a Sous Vide is on the wish list. :slight_smile:

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #25

Iā€™m a leave it on the counter girl. Itā€™s warm here so overnight is enough. In winter I just put it on top of the fridge and it takes 2-3 days. Consistently awesome.

(Arlene) #26

Sour cream (creme fresh) is meant to be soured at room temp. I leave mine on the counter too. Works every time. The culture used for this is a mesophilic culture.
Yogurt uses a thermophilic culture which must be kept at a higher temperature, hence the ā€œthermoā€ part of the name.

(Sophie) #27

Iā€™m a counter girl too. I find beauty in simplicity! :person_in_lotus_position:

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #28

Soā€¦ I couldnā€™t find any buttermilk, and the weather here is cooler. In lieu of buttermilk, I cultured two pints of heavy cream with a couple big dollops of raw yogurt and let it sit out for 3 days. Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™ve frankenmade, but itā€™s fucking delicious with frozen berries and a couple drops of ez sweets.

(Roxanne) #29

Ok Iā€™ve started using the counter method too and it works perfectly! In fact, Iā€™ve started culturing in individual mini jars ā€¦mix a litre of HWC with a few tablespoons of the last batch, divide into 12 little jars (I use 1/2 cup mason jars) and voila, itā€™s like having individual yogurt servings only yummier!

I would like to try this. Could I just use Daisy sour cream to culture the hwc?

(Roxanne) #31

You could certainly try it and see if you like the result - the beauty is you can do a small amount. I use about 7% culture by volume - so you could try about a tablespoon or a bit more of sour creme in a cup of HWCā€¦or 2 tsps in 1/2 cup.

Do you think that a 1/4 cup of sour cream to 1 cup of heavy whipping cream is to much? Also do I have to bring the hwc and sour cream to room temperature before mixing them together?

(Roxanne) #33

I donā€™t think you need a quarter cup, but really itā€™s trial and error to see what you like. No need to let them warm up first.

Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate your help. I used a 1/4 cup for two cups of hwc. We will see tomorrow how it turns out.

(Roxanne) #35

If it doesnā€™t thicken up, just leave it out longer. 12 hours is usually long enough for me, but some people have said theirs takes up to 2 days. It also gets thicken once you refrigerate it. Let us know how it turned out!

Itā€™s been 15 hours and itā€™s thicker but runny and has a slight sour taste. Roxanne, how do I know when itā€™s done and to refrigerate it.

(Roxanne) #37

Again itā€™s a matter of trail and error to see what you like. It should leave a very heavy coat on a spoon. If youā€™re not sure, experiment! Pour a half or a third into another jar and refrigerate that, leaving the rest out longer. Unfortunately fermentation isnā€™t an exact science as there are many variables, and peopleā€™s preferences differ as well.

I will try that right now, thank you.

Roxanne, itā€™s amazingly thick. I just checked it 45 minutes ago and I didnā€™t even refrigerate yet. Yum!!! With dark chocolate shavings. Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I am thrilled about this experiment.

(Jordan) #40

Trying this now, so excited!
@dirtmirt069 how long did you end up fermenting yours for?