Discover article “weight loss science”

(Karen) #1

Article in the Discover magazine October 2018. This seems to treat the keto diet and fasting generally pretty well. I thought the dyad review was fairly even handed. It’s a short article and mostly showing fasting.

(Bunny) #2

Not So Fast
Scientists disagree on how to eat for your best life. Dieting may never be the same.
FROM THE OCTOBER 2018 ISSUE

Need more fat in diet at some point during that kind of intermittent caloric restriction type fasting? No dietary fat to burn before body fat threshold burned up? Skin hugging the bones and muscle; not enough protein? This tells me their primary source of nutrition was carbohydrates (tummy a bit distended and probably lots of visceral fat around internals)?

(Karen) #3

FFFFAAATTTT!
ala 2kd

K

(Jane) #4

Thanks, Karen.

My husband and I are committed to doing at least a 36-hr fast 3 times a month for both health reasons and (for me) to maintain my weight loss. Basically just skip a day of eating. I still enjoy longer fasts when I am away on business and not hosting out-of-town colleagues where I have to take them out to eat.

I would love more studies on autophagy, what stops it, how long it takes to get into autophagy if your glycogen stores are ALREADY depleted like ours are, etc.