Dirty Keto

(Juanita Rice) #1

Why are some low carb ways of eating referred to as dirty keto instead of low carb the way an individual chooses to do low carb, which is their way. If it works for that particular person then why make the distinction between “clean” and “dirty” keto?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Some folks want to pretend they’re eating keto when they’re not. I also agree with you that some folks do good enough just low carb - or at least way better than standard high carb. In fact, some folks do better just eliminating sweetened sodas and added sugar. Maybe there’s some cachet of prestige associated with ‘eating keto’ that you and I are unaware of. :pleading_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

“Dirty keto” usually implies less concern for the type of carbohydrates being eaten. We generally recommend avoiding sugar, grains, and starches, and sticking to leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli and the like, but some people take the approach that it’s all good, so long as one stays within one’s carbohydrate tolerance.

Any diet low enough in carbohydrate to permit that individual to enter ketosis is a ketogenic diet, regardless of the absolute amount of carbohydrate involved. People whose insulin-resistance is greater will have to limit their carbohydrate intake more strictly than someone who has a high carbohydrate tolerance. Fixating on 20 g/day or less as “keto” and higher intakes as “low-carb” obscures the point that keeping our insulin level sufficiently low to permit our liver to make ketones—whatever that actually means, in our individual case—is the real goal, if we want to achieve metabolic health, or even simply fat loss.

(Joey) #4

Far be it from me to quibble with the venerable @PaulL when it comes to definitions.

Yet my initial thought was that if you’re not doing it dirty, you’re not doing it right.

:bacon::lobster::cut_of_meat::meat_on_bone::cheese::poultry_leg::broccoli::mushroom::cucumber::leafy_green::avocado::coconut::green_salad::fried_shrimp::coffee::wine_glass::crazy_face:

(Bob M) #5

I always thought “dirty” keto was eating things with substitute sugar or the like, not necessarily the amount of carbs.

But these are kinda meaningless anyway. For instance, my wife makes a “pudding” recipe by Maria Emmerich. It’s made from eggs and is quite satisfying with some chocolate chips. When she makes these, I will eat a few, one every few days (though they don’t last long in my house).

Is that “dirty” keto?

Meanwhile, my meals are mainly meat with a few select vegetables thrown in at times. Say olives (technically, a fruit) and/or pickled mushrooms and maybe capers. Is that “clean” keto?

So, I’m “clean” except when I’m “dirty”? (There’s an innuendo in there somewhere…)

(Joey) #6

… and when it comes to eating, there’s innuendo and out the other. :upside_down_face:

There’s no real definition of dirty keto. Some use it as only tracking carbs, some use it as eating complete junk as long as it fits their macros.

(Here) you’re going to see a lot of people have issues with that, but in reality I’ve seen no shortage of people on other forums do nothing but their definition of dirty keto and have nothing short of amazing results doing it. It’s all about what works for you.

Keto is NOT a cookie cutter WOE minus the carbs being low enough to be in Ketosis.

(Robin) #8

I believe the meaning and origin of the word KETO has evolved over time and is now on a spectrum… like most of life. I don’t worry about what others call their approach, especially if it works for them. And if they find support on this forum, good for them. And if you are occasionally challenged, you will see we rarely banish one forever form the Kingdom of Keto. The occasional dust up may arise every so often but normally good natured and with well wishes. “Normally” is the operative work here. LOl

Dirty keto is a close relative of It It Fits Your Macros. Basically, anything goes as long as it can be considered low carb. This often means protein bars full of sweeteners and alcohol sugar, as well as syrups, diet soft drinks, gum, home baking using aforementioned ingredients. General, processed junk.

(Allie) #10

I’ve always been of the belief that so called “dirty keto” was keto made up of prepackaged but loosely keto food products rather than the clean eating that’s best advised.

(Bob M) #11

As a side note, if a product says “keto”, you really need to read the label. Costco now has “keto” products, many of which aren’t. For instance, my wife bought some chocolate-covered coconut “chunks” that were great. One of the ingredients was sugar. These were meant for a snack (taken with lunch) for our kids, though I would use a few chunks every once in a while to add to yogurt, but I had to be careful and only add a few.

Also, a lot of the oils added are bad oils like sunflower.

As @lfod14 has said, I’ve seen people lose 80+ pounds and keep it off eating a much higher carb amount, about 80 grams or so a day, than we often advocate here. It’s possible.

(Robin) #12

I swear I read this as “If it fits in your mouth”… I was pretty pumped for a minute. :vulcan_salute:

(Central Florida Bob ) #13

I guess I’ve always been dirty keto. I still use sweeteners; Equal and Splenda in my coffee, and have one diet soda a day. I’ve switched to those from Erythritol and added some Allulose, which is a real sugar, just one said to have nearly zero calories and zero net carbs. Some maltitol in sugar free cough drops.

Instead of Maria’s pudding, we have my homemade ice cream. Not every day, but a batch has three days’ worth (for both of us) and we won’t have two batches in a week. Maybe once or twice in a year we’ve had it every day.

The rest of the time we eat clean: meat, eggs, some hard cheese, and some non-starchy veggies, no seed oils. Homemade mayonnaise, homemade salad dressing.

(Robin) #14

That’s nice that you can do that! Lucky guy!

(Bob M) #15

I believe Santa is bringing me an ice cream maker. I’m planning on trying your ice cream.

I’ll probably use it more for holidays, so I can have something while others have the “real stuff”. For instance, this holiday season, we’ll have my wife’s sister and her family in from Sweden, and they tend to be carboholics. I’d like to eat something while they do too.

But, we’ll see how much I use it.

(Central Florida Bob ) #16

I’ve thought about getting a bigger machine, but I’d just end up eating nothing but ice cream.

I’m 6’; my wife is 4’10". This is the only food I’ve ever come across where she takes the same portion size as I do.

(Robin) #17

Love it. You do realize we all need to see a photo of you two!

(Butter Withaspoon) #18

I believe this is Very Dirty Keto :joy:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #19

I guess someone has to say it, so I will. I hate the phrase ‘dirty keto’. Even moreso than I hate the phrase ‘keto flu’. You’re in ketosis or you’re not. It’s not a sliding scale. If you are, great - you then enjoy the benefits of having ketones doing good stuff. Yes, you can have more or less ketones doing more or less good stuff - particularly for the brain. But really, it doesn’t matter what you eat or don’t eat to get there and stay there. Being in ketosis consistently is a good place to be. Close or not quite - not so much.

I don’t like the term either. Amounts matter anyway. I rather do dirty keto with very high-carb items sometimes but keep the vast majority of my food (at least 99% on most days) very right than eating veggies, nuts and other not so great for me but very clean and whole items in not insignificant amounts on not dirty keto (plain impossible for me anyway), the latter messes with me more I think. Can’t test it as I change too many factors at the same time. No way I eat more than a tiny amount vegetable and stay way below 40g… Theoretically possible but never happens. So I have no idea what a “normal” keto would do to me as I can’t do it at all (I can take an educated and vague guess. it probably would be better than my old keto and worse than carnivore and my food choices would control how much better/worse). And my normal keto days (very close to 40g net carbs, no matter when, I had that years ago and I have that now. my food choices are vastly different though, only my eggs are the same) are rare and happen after carni times when my body is different than any time before carnivore so I can’t compare the two kinds of keto. Who knows what changed in my body in the last years anyway…

I am sure “dirty” keto may save someone’s sanity sometimes and mental health is important :slight_smile:

But if someone calls something dirty keto, oh well, it doesn’t harm me, I just don’t agree it’s something we should avoid and if we can’t we would be weak.