Dirty Keto with ONE Anything Goes Day

(Davy) #1

I just read that book by the lady that lost 140 lbs. She says she did Dirty, Lazy Keto. And that after she got fat adapted, I think it was, that once a week, she had an anything goes day, ice-cream, pizza, Snickers, you name it, was okay to eat…so long as you still got your good proteins in. This kept her from falling off the Keto wagon, this one day a week thing. She still lost the 140 lbs from around 300 lbs.
What do you all think? Anyone else tried this and been okay with it?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I’d be very wary of taking this as an example. It may work for her, and for other people who are not vulnerable to the addictive effects of sugar and carbohydrates, but it is a very risky approach for a sugar/carb addict to try to emulate.

In a similar way, Dr. Phinney estimates that perhaps as much as 20% of the population can deal successfully with vast quantities of carbohydrate in their diets and do not need to eat a ketogenic diet at all. But however true that may be, it doesn’t imply that the rest of us have no need of keto. Individual variations need to be taken into account here.

('Jackie P') #3

Good for her! But not for me. I have felt very unwell on the couple of times I have slipped a little.
I envy her in the same way I envy someone who can smoke a couple of cigarettes on a night out, or drink an occasional glass of wine! I’m not born to be a moderate, - more’s the pity :smirk:

(Susan) #4

I think that this is a very personal thing, as @PaulL has said. For me personally, I feel that this would be a slippery slope. I have worked hard to lose the 55 pounds that I have lost already; however, I still have over 100 more to lose, and I have stuck to strict Keto except for a few select meals (not cheat days, OMAD cheat meals on Mother’s Day, my birthday and I will for Christmas Day and some drinking on New Year’s Eve) since February, and I intend to do this as my lifestyle plan. I also intend to stick to my normal TMAD IF 20:4 protocol for life (with perhaps some deviance some days on occasion due to events). I also am going to continue Fasting on occasion, for all the benefits Fasting gives us, especially Autophagy =).

If this works for this lady, then KUDOS to her, but for me, personally, I do not want to do this. Keto is definitely a personal style for everyone, though. If you feel that you can do this and maintain, then you could try it. For me, I am Keto forever, and even when on Maintenance, I plan to be on track with a few OMAD cheat meals on special occasions, because that is what I feel personally will keep me on track and healthy for life =).

I am 55 and I feel so much healthier and happier on Keto. I really enjoy my Keto meals, and I do not feel deprived or hungry or that I am dieting anymore (I did at the beginning of course, as I am sure many of us did early on in the lifestyle).

(Davy) #5

My bad. It wasn’t HER book, it was someone else’s book. I’ve read 7 books on Keto and Carnivore Diet in the past 3 days and got them mixed up. But it WAS someone else’s book that talked about this. SHE varied btw 20 and 50 g per day of fat…plus I think she started jogging.
Yep, seems questionable just using common sense.
I think their theory was that since you were indeed fat adapted, that one day wasn’t going to knock you out. They did it every week though.

(Jack Bennett) #6

I tried something similar in the so-called “Slow Carb” diet from The Four Hour Body. I lost essentially no weight/fat. I think it created (for me) an unhealthy fixation on looking forward to Saturday when I could ditch the stupid diet and eat anything (and everything) I wanted.

It might work for others but it was bad news for me.

('Jackie P') #7

Hey Mom! That’s bloody brilliant :blush:

(Susan) #8

Thank you, Jackie. I still have a long way to go, but I am about 1/3 of the way, and I feel healthier then I have in years, so that is very important and significant as well =). (I have pictures and a lot more information on my Accountability thread if you want to check that out, not blowing up this thread about it all, hehe).

('Jackie P') #9

No-one could of worked harder than you Mom, and I just know you will get the results you strive for. Also it is always heartwarming to see how you help everyone. :blush:
I certainly do dip into your accountability thread, and others, but sometimes they move so fast I struggle to keep up. But I always wish you well :hugs:

(Susan) #10

Thank you, Jackie. I feel that everyone here is so amazing and kind. I am really blessed to be a part of this forum and to have met all of you great people. We are like a little Keto family of support and encouragement for each other, it is fantastic =).

(Davy) #11

I just thought, maybe we should delete this entire thread…don’t want to be a stumbling block putting ideas like this in anyone’s mind. Okay to delete this AFAIC.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

Better to eat the junk that wrecked your health only one day a week rather than eat it every day. What exactly is ‘dirty’ keto? Not eating grass fed organic Angus beef and butter and free range eggs? Just curious.

(Davy) #13

Dirty - not grass fed or range free eggs, just any beef or eggs, yep. Any bacon, not just nitrite free. A Big Mac without the bun (though there’s other bad stuff in there) Keto bars (full of fake stuff) Sliced cheese, slightly processed. Yep, you’ve basically got it. In the long run, Dirty seems not nearly as healthy. But better to eat a Big Mac without bun than to fall off the wagon, I agree.

(Christopher Walker) #14

I think Keto works differently for every person. there are so many factors that go into how your body reacts to carbs and proteins. This could work for some people, I don’t think it will work for me. my sugar spikes when I type the word carbohydrate.

(Susan) #15

I love this, this made me giggle, but I agree wholeheartedly.

Welcome to the forum, Christopher, I am sure that you will love it here like we all do.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #16

I do lazy, dirty keto and have lost 90 lbs over the past year and 3 months; however, I do not partake in “carb up” days. For me personally, any time I try to eat carbs I feel completely awful so it’s not worth it for me. But it is an interesting approach. I wonder if that’s healthy?

(Christopher Walker) #17

Thank you.

(Jane) #18

So what is “lazy” keto? I am still trying to connect with all these terms…lol.

(Jack Bennett) #19

Lazy refers to not actively counting or logging macros - I.e. being “lazy” about tracking carb, protein, and fat grams.

(Liz Ellen) #20

You must be describing yourself. YOU are so kind and encouraging to everyone. Best of luck to you as you continue.