Dirty Keto with ONE Anything Goes Day

(Bob M) #21

I’ve been “lazy” for 6 years, “dirty” for some of that. I try to avoid certain things, like seed oils, but sometimes I can’t. I will eat fried chicken wings while out, for instance. I just try to not make it a habit. I can’t afford grass fed/finished beef, so I guess I’m “dirty” there.

(Ken) #22

Sure, it works fine. There are plenty of folks who eat carbs on the Weekends even and are successful at losing fat. As long as you don’t have control issues and prevent the temptation to add more carb days, you’ll be fine. Just try not to intentionally overeat them.

My recommendation is that at first only have the carbs you intend to eat on your day or two in the house. Having a stockpile around will be very tempting. Excessive carb consumption (Carb Ups) are really for people who are training, and restricting calories the other days. CKD and TKD.

There’s no doubt occasional consumption is metabolically beneficial, but that’s considered Heresy by many.

(Bob M) #23

I’ve certainly become much more metabolically flexible after 6 years low carb. I can eat a lot of carbs over a weekend and still be in or get easily into ketosis (by blood) on Monday. I also vary my carb content, basically when I feel the need to have more carbs, I will. I might have salsa, onions, tomatoes, etc.

I usually don’t intentionally go very high in carbs, such as eating ice cream, except for special occasions. And I still try to avoid “bad” carbs, like carbs fried in seed oils.

(Susan) #24

Aww, thank you @LizEllen -but I mean most of the lovely people here in general. I thought that from the very beginning when I joined this wonderful place =).

(Jack Bennett) #25

That’s the big “if”, and that was a big factor that caused “slow carb” not to work very well for me.

Indulgence on Saturday carried over to other days because I’m more of an Abstainer than a Moderator. YMMV.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #26

Ok that I’m that case @bjane I guess I’m not lazy. I thought lazy keto was more like not cooking all the time, eating chipotle and whatnot :joy: I do track macros even after over a year on keto. I do “dirty” keto in the sense that I use sucralose, erythritol, other sugar alternatives, etc. I don’t care about what kind of oil is used (some people won’t touch seed oils). I will eat out at restaurants, etc. It works for me so I don’t feel so restricted, and I’ve still managed to lose a lot of weight and keep it off so far :crossed_fingers:t4:

(Bob M) #27

Do more research.

I’ve reached the conclusion they may be the worst thing you could eat (within reason; obviously eating lead paint chips would be worse). Don’t get me wrong, I still eat them at times, but if I can, I avoid them.

This is one location:

Another one:

Unfortunately, they aren’t that easy to find info. You have to spend time.

Here’s just one article:

Indeed it appears that the n-6 + diabetes rats have suffered a catastrophic onset of heart failure via necrosis. In just four days!

Combined with my previous post, “Hello, Can We Have Your Liver?”: Understanding a High-PUFA Diet, we have evidence of n-6 involvement in two major chronic organ failures, and the hints of causation of diabetes, a disease impacting all organs.

(Ken) #28

I cured my Son’s Hep B with VLCHF.

(Robert C) #29

I think the long game is important to find out what really happened.

If she ate “dirty, lazy keto” but actually just calorie restricted 6 out of 7 days - she would lose weight but, as most of us have learned - might be in for a big rebound after killing her metabolism.

140 pound loss (300 down to 160) would take years on regular keto due to plateaus and a regular pace of a pound or two a week loss - slowing loss through the 180s to 160s (near goal). Weight loss would be further slowed by the cheat days.

But, plain old severe calorie restriction will knock that weight off at 2 or 3 pounds a week (even with the cheat days) - and much more linearly - maybe all in less than a year.

Of course, I do not know the particular situation but, I’d suspect calorie restriction if the timeframe was less than 2 years. I’d also suspect calorie restriction if it all comes back within the next year.

(Windmill Tilter) #30

This. Losing 140lbs is one thing, keeping it off is entirely another!

(Troy) #31

I consider my Dirty/Lazy Keto differently

For me
I call it Targeted Eating🎯
Why?
Because there’s nothing lazy or dirty when I know what I choose to eat now
Takes focus, persistence , and follow through to develop and stick to a plan ( diet )
Works for me
Just sayin😄

To each their own

(Davy) #32

Might have been some other things going on, I don’t know. I think she took up running for one. Book was written a year ago. Says she has kept it off for 5 years. But again, we’re talking about two different books.
Here she is: https://browse.startpage.com/do/show_picture.pl?l=english&rais=1&oiu=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FNfhQ2yPPmCA%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&sp=e452fd9499f0da6f6a68bf31d12ab792&t=default

(Jane) #33

Thank you. I guess I am a “lazy, dirty Keto girl”…haha. Not too dirty as my daughter is also doing Keto and is very strict so helps me a lot. She has lost 75 pounds since the first of the year and I have lost just over 50. She is also way more active than I am. She is 38 and I am 63.

(Polly) #34

This plan would not work for anyone who is addicted to carbs. Robert Cywes is a man who understands carb addiction and his interview about his own weight loss journey can be seen here:

(Robert C) #35

5 years is great but the confounder is that she’s a runner (able to continuously maintain a very large calorie deficit). She’s trained for and run 12 marathons so, to me, lots of her advice would not apply to most people. A 3000-4000 calorie weekly cheat day that includes carbs would probably ruin progress for most people. But, throwing in a 15-mile marathon training run in the afternoon or the next morning might pretty much completely erase the cheat.

(Davy) #36

Well put.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

No, we’re not going to delete the thread. We find that the responses to such topics are generally quite valuable, as long as the discussion remains civil. If it degenerates into name-calling or the like, then we’ll take action.

(Jane) #38

I think we need to remember EVERYONE is different. What works for one person will not always work for another. As I said my daughter is strict and I am not but we help each other. She doesn’t get onto to me about what I eat and I don’t criticize her on being so strict…it works and it helps both of us. Every thread on here helps me in some way and is a great encouragement.

(Windmill Tilter) #39

I did pretty much the same thing. It actually worked pretty well for me, but I wasn’t eating “keto” at the time. After I read Dr. Fung though, I decided that extended fasting was a better weight loss strategy. I don’t think keto is necessary to do extended fasting on a weekly basis, but it makes it a lot easier (I did my first dozen 3 day fasts before I started keto).

@DavyKOTWF, What works for most people is just plain old LCHF and eating to satiety while keeping exercise to a minimum. If you have tried that and find it completely unsustainable, feel free to experiment; there are 1000 ways to do keto. If you think “dirty keto” might work for you, give it a try for a month. If you feel terrific, you’ll know you’ve found a good fit. If the constant swing into and out of ketosis is making you feel lousy, you’ll know you that it doesn’t work for you.

What worked finally worked for me was eating 12 days a month and eating the exact same thing every single day that I ate. Most people think that’s batshit crazy, but it worked for me and my metabolism, so that’s what counts.