Dinosaur bone broth

Am hooting with laughter here.
I have a new enthusiasm for keto carnivore eating (including organ meat and bone marrow), because I have discovered its potential to heal a leaky gut - which could quite transform my life, really.

I asked my friendly neighbourhood butcher for some beef marrow bones.
Rubbing my mitts together with glee, I just popped onto high street to collect them.

Had done my research. Lots of yummy recipes around for this delicacy. Very posh. Very trendy. Very nouveau cheffy.

Was kind of especting this kind of thing:

hahaha!

Oh no.

This is wot I recieved:
cut neatly half at their narrowest point.
They look like dinosaur bones!

To give you an idea of scale:

And they weigh a ton. 2 bones have absolutely filled a carrier bag, and broke both handles carrying them home. I am guessing they weigh in at 20-30 pounds.
Don’t think the butcher ever got the marrow is the new duckfat memo. :wink:

Preparing, roasting and brothing these is going to be hysterical.

Will let you know how I get on.

(rofl) w3w3
and, oh yeah, they cost me a whole £3
chuckling-gesture-smiley-emoticon

Hahaha. Dinosaur bones indeed. Happy roasting!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

Your dog looks overwhelmed. And probably disappointed you didn’t leave it there for him (?) to figure out how to handle it.

That is actually a pic I found online (have to admit that, in case anyone thinks I would torture my mutts like that. lol)

but I do have two small dogs of about that size, and yes, they were VERY interested, both in the carrier bag as I walked home, and when I was unpacking.

Actually, come to think of it, I was quite lucky not to knock them both out with the swinging bag. That thing was HEAVY.

(bulkbiker) #5

Next time take a wheelbarrow! enjoy the broth… x

(Allie) #6

Reminds me, I must nip to the butchers for my boy’s bones - he has them this size. They used to keep offering to cut them up for me until they met him :joy:

Next time just ask if they’ll cut them for you, will be much easier to use :blush:

(Joanna Parszyk ) #7

:joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

(Doug) #8

Ha! :smile: This is GREAT. :slightly_smiling_face:

(MelissaH) #9

I hope you have some HUGE pots to cook those in!!

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

Wow, you hit the jack pot. Roast those babies. Just curious did you ask them to cut them into smaller pieces and they declined? Marrow bones normally will get pre cut before you take them home.

A clean hacksaw can be used to make them more manageable.

First time I have bought them from this butcher, so I just assumed they would be cut up more. Will certainly ask for it next time.

They have now been blanched, roasted, and 1st batch brothed in the instant pot. They don’t all fit in it at the same time, so 2 batches.
Haven’t yet investigated the results.

:smile:

I did scrape a lot of the marrow out before brothing, and have it set aside in a pot in the fridge.

The dogs had a teaspoon full each on top of their raw dinner, and pronounced it GOOD.
My husband has decided that the smell is awful and keeps wandering through the kitchen making wafty hand gestures as if to clear away a stink.

Good. More for me. :rofl:

Can you over dose on bone broth?
If so, I must be at high risk.

It came out mid-gold colour, and set to solid jelly at room temperature.
A gentle, beefy flavour that I can happily drink instead of other hot drinks
The fat layer is pale gold and delicious. Have about 400mls of that, so have frozen some, and will use quite a bit of the rest in a liver pate later today, then freeze in portions.
The rest can be used for cooking and topping up the fat content of meals.

Will definitely do this again. It has been fun.

I’ve made quite a lot of bone broth over the last couple of years, but mainly lamb, pork and chicken. This stuff is in a different class.