Digestive Enzymes, how to build up

(Denise) #1

I just bought some DAO and tried it yesterday, so don’t really have a review on it’s effectiveness, but I hate having to time when I dose it before I eat anything that might have histamine in it. So I’m lazy with this one and I’ll leave it at that.

I’m trying to find out if I have a Histamine Intolerance, and I still am not firm on whether it’s foods, or environmental. So, if I am short of this “enzyme” or any digestive enzymes, can someone tell me what they think might be better to permanently “heal my gut” so it digests my foods better?

Not many, save one person I know of has a histamine issue here, but some of you “brainier” folk are bound to be able to help me figure this out. Just pretend you have mucus in your throat, too dang much, so much sometimes it effects your voice like early in the a.m. and you have the condition 24/7. What would you do? Guys, please don’t tell me to hock it up, it’s against the back of my throat, and coughing does not losin it or allow me to hock a loogie:grimacing::roll_eyes:

(Denise) #2

I just read that with most food allergies, symptoms occur within minutes or up to 2 hours. Nothing like that is happening to me at all. This is just another article that makes me think this is not a literal food allergy, but more likely Histamine Intolerance issue. I can hardly understand the difference but that’s what I read.

HI is being short on one enzyme that breaks down histamine in food or drink, so it’s still just another under-studied issue for folks like me. I think they hate doing studies on anything that would help us cure ourselves without drugs, or even supplements. Of course I would like a pill that fixed everything so I could eat what I want and survive whatever fresh air we may have. I think most of us would rather get to the cause and forget the “symptom bandaids” with all their side-effects.

(Bob) #3

There are high histamine foods and low histamine foods. You could look up a low histamine diet and try that for a while, probably 30 days or so and see if you clear up. Then, turn around and have some high histamine foods and see if you get mucusy again.

I’m carnivore (-ish). Beef is high in histamines because it’s usually aged. Super fresh beef and Chicken on the other hand is very low. You can Google a list of foods that are high vs low and use that info to test yourself.

(Denise) #4

Glad to know about the fresh meat, not aged, would be lower in histamine. Only thing I think that might be a problem is my sausage rolls I buy :wink:

I read that food allergies show up very quickly or within a couple hours, but I haven’t found anything on how long it takes for a histamine-containing food like spinach I eat with my breakfast omelette would take to cause the mucus. I know the elimination diet is the truest way to find out, I just have to get willing to give up more foods. Easy decision, hard to adhere to though :frowning: