Difference between this year and last year

(Marianne) #1

Went to Gettysburg this past weekend (beautiful and so historically significant), as we did at the same time last year. I couldn’t help but marvel at the differences between this year and last. This year, after losing almost 50 lbs. on keto (still have more to go), I was able to walk everywhere for long periods of time without stopping, sitting or holding anyone up. I felt great and didn’t have any pain in my legs. I could go up and down stairs with ease, where last year it was one at a time. Wasn’t eating Advil like candy. Packed keto snacks to have with cocktails on the balcony (gouda, pepperoni, tuna salad with celery - doesn’t get any more delicious as far as snacks go), and for dinner I’d have a piece of meat or cheeseburger without the bun and a salad. Just drank water, as usual. Looked acceptable in whatever I put on and didn’t feel self conscious.

Don’t remember ever being able to maintain any WOE for almost eight months without deprivation, cravings, cheating/guilt, willpower and anxiety. I am so grateful. It makes me sad that all the naysayers have no idea how easy this can be and how much better they would feel.

(Jane) #2

Me too.

I can understand some of the young ones finding it hard to stay motivated because their bodies haven’t begun to break down yet… but most of us here are on the other side of 40 and the effects of keto are dramatic and keeps me motivated to stick with it.

I don’t ever want to have to go down stairs again with a death grip on the handrail and my knees killing me because of poor diet! I don’t just walk down now - I bounce down. I know at some point I will slow down, but I want to put it off as long as possible.

Congrats on the NSV!

(Marianne) #3

Yes! It’s so much more than just about weight loss for us.

Yes! I used to walk up the stairs using the handrail as if I were climbing Everest. And going down, I’d absorb a lot of the pressure of each step with my hand. About six months before starting keto, I said screw it and started using the elevator at work. We have a small building with most everyone on the main floor. I was the only one who used the elevator. My job required me to be up and down a lot and I was on that sucker all the time.

(Susan) #4

I am so happy for you; Marianne, this is wonderful. It sounds like you did amazingly well; you should be very proud of yourself.

I am not at the point you two lovely ladies are at (yet!!) with mobility and stairs, but you are both an inspiration to me, and I love reading about all your NSV’s and Keto achievements.

(Marianne) #5

God bless, Susan. So sweet.

You are getting there, as we speak. I admire your fasting progress. Still working on that. So nice we can share our journeys with each other, learn and encourage.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

That’s an awesome update and it sounds like you were able to enjoy yourself a lot more this time around. I think it’s important to make the distinctions about then vs now. It’s a great motivator to stick with it and look forward to your next visit, one more year into keto!